• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

As lads in the late 40s we used to go across the waste land opposite the tea factory on Truimph Road and reach the railway line where the River Leen turned under the tracks. Here, from the pontoon in the middle of the stream we were at eye level with the rails. Just the right place to put pennies on the rails. Thank goodness our mums never found out.

Does anyone remember the smell of f and c outside Krafts shop down by the canal near the Wollaton Park lodge> We used to feed the swans chips until they sank.

I didn't know that area in those days, but I've just remembered where I'd seen a PHOTO of the place I think you are talking about

We used to feed the swans chips until they sank.

That was the days chips were affordable. You could get a tanner mix.

Now a few chips are £1.50 or more!

God I dare'nt have peas with mine no, and Beans are definately out!

My local 'chippy' does a bag of chips for £1.30 . There's enough in one to feed me and the kids!! and a £1.90 family bag does feed all four of us . Not bad value here.!!

• 3 weeks later...

So what about the worst Fish & Chip shops ?

Was in town yesterday with the missus & used to call in at a greek chippy on Stoney Street ( The Lace Market Fish Bar )

Called in yesterday & was met by a "Divvi" looking wench, no Greeks about, must have changed hands since our last visit, couple of years or so ago.

This was the absolute worst fish & chips I have ever had.

The meal was served on a small tray, only a handful of chips & a spoon of mushy peas on them. The fish looked anaemic & when cut I could see why, the fish being undercooked almost raw in places, I swear blind the fish could have been revived.

NEVER EVER AGAIN !

A bit further afield, but The Crest Of A Wave in Ripley have the finest fish and chips that I have ever tasted away from the coast!

/quote]

further still Harry Ramazans in Icmeler Turkey does great fish and chips

Cleethorpes sea front one Sunday out of season, plate of chips say's I, girl behind the counter scooped one paper plateful from a plastic bag of frozen chips, put in the microwave, three minutes later plate of hot chips, bloody awful never again

Rog

Best Fish & Chips I have had in the U.K. was in Whitby a few years back - the most memorable - Mary's first Christmas in England, Christmas Eve in Sutton-on-Sea. Place was all shut up except for one chip shop. We bought a bag of chips and walked along the sea front sharing them - MAGIC! Then went into a pub for a pint to wash them down before driving back to Retford!

That will probably be the Dolphin fish and chip shop on the High Street in Sutton-on-Sea, Eric. On my occasional visits I always have a sit down fish, chip and mushy peas served as a 'special' with bread and butter and a pot of tea. Agree, lovely fish and chips, some of the best I've had anywhere.

never mind the Dolphin fish bar Stu, what was up with the Hand and Heart last night ?

Oh, were you in there, Chrissie? Sorry didn't spot you or would have stayed. Popped in there twice during the evening but the lady was not impressed (though she loves it there normally) because there were no free seats! We had a drink in The Ropewalk - at least until the rap disco started! Ended up at the good old Borlace. What were you up to?

Nostalgic trip to Mablethorpe last week, had chips in Monty's chip shop...............If Monty's still alive he must be 103+, it was called that back in early 60's..............

Went on seafront but couldn't find the 'paddle boats' or Auntie Jean & Uncle Dennis, or Wrates photographers, or the 'fast draw' cowboy in the amusement arcade on the corner, or the Fulbeck.............where's it all gone??

• 4 months later...

Hatters was the chippy of choice for my gang of lads in the 60s. If flush we would go upstairs and sit in the window seats to watch the world go by. It was actually called Hatters before being taken over by the Mermaid. Our rival gang used the chippy at the top end of Front Street. Can't remember the real name but we knew it as "Joe Borwn's Chippy" after the leader of the gang who used it most.

Salop or Slop Street Chippy was run by a German lady. Many years after she left Slop Street I found her in a chip shop on Carlton Road and then later still, about 1975-80ish in a chippy in Dunkirk. She was a lovely lady but I suspect she may have had problems with locals being German and running a business just after WWII. I think a fish'n chips in the late 1950s was one shilling. Fritters 1d each and chips 3d for a huge bag.

Our rival gang used the chippy at the top end of Front Street. Can't remember the real name...

It was probably the Blue Circle chip shop (as it still is). There was another chip shop at the North end of Arnold which was owned by a family named Walker.

It was probably the Blue Circle chip shop (as it still is). There was another chip shop at the North end of Arnold which was owned by a family named Walker.

The one in question was on the left a few yards before you get to the cross roads at Cross St. & Coppice Road. I think Fine Fare had a building on or adjacent to the site in later years.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops