First aviation day of 2009

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the sight of a Tornado going past at 500MPH??

In your dreams.

Petwood ?...........sounds like what my dog would have if he met the right bitch.

Bip.

Hmmm.....

First plane I've heard of that can go 500mph with its flaps down!

I can do 500mph with my pants down , when being chased by an irate husband!!!

Are you coming or what Eric??

You're only jealous Den 'cause you'll be missing out on the Dambuster...........better than the HP any day

Are you coming or what Eric??

Dunno yet! If you lot pick a date it will give me something to work with, but it will depend on finding a really cheap airfare - and that often means a last minute decision. The outcome of cataract surgery that my aunt is having at the end of this month may also influence the decision!

However, Mary and I are planning on visiting in the summer.

Nice one Frank, I don't know if Charlie Mathews is this years display pilot.

Are you coming over in March?

Rog

Ayup Beefsteak,

They were up with a vengence today as soon as the low cloud cleared, they were still taking off and doing bumps when I left work at 17.15hrs in the dark

Rog

Are you coming over in March?

I can't get the time off during the week...... Busy, busy you know. Running 2 companies takes a lot of effort.

Shame, I know. And the thought of tasting that Dambuster....mmmmmmmm

• 1 month later...

Beefsteak arrived at my place at 08.00hrs and after a quick coffee we set off for RAF Scampton, I know Beefsteak is a great Red Arrows fan and he wasn't disappointed, on arrival there was a single Red Hawk going through his routine, the new lens was put through it's paces with some high speed passes, a few minutes later four more Reds took off and displayed what looked like the a new routine for 2009 this gave Beefy plenty of chances to get all the pictures he wanted of the Reds in action, he called it his "personal display". A quick drive up to Waddington for a cuppa and bacon roll at the Sentry cafe in the RAF viewing area, he took photo's of Sentry's Sentinal's and Nimrod, Another short drive to RAF Coningsby for the Typhoon pictures and a bonus of two F16 fighter planes, (yet to find out what country they were from) then the obligatory Ham and Eggs and Lancaster bitter at the Blue Bell in Tattershall Thorpe where mine host Alan (Loose legs) and his barman once again gave excellent service. The afternoon consisted of visiting RAF Cranwell, Barkston Heath, Coningsby again for the 3 o'clock fly in, nearly an hour of non stop fast passes,noise and close up views of the Typhoons plus the fast take off from one of the F16s, in other words, a cracking aviation day once again, roll on the next one in about 6 weeks time,

I'm sure Beefy will post some cracking pictures when he returns from aviation heaven, (he's off to some more bases tomorrow)

Rog

Thanks for the update Rog... been a bit quiet on here with Beefy away !laughing!

Look forward to seeing the pictures with the new lens. ............just hope the 'MONOPOD' did it's job :biggrin:

Ayup all

I got back in at about 4.30pm after a few days out and about doing the 'Aviation thing'.

Great to meet up with Rog and his wife again .

This was a quick try out for the new lens (The official first day out is now to be held on WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL) if that is OK with you all. I would have invited all but I wouldn't have been going back to Nott'm to drop any body back off.

I'm glad I bought it now as one of my 'little darlings' has managed to bust my other one!!! It still takes pics but you can't manualy zoom out , in is ok, but out is out so to speak!! you have to drag it by hand ,,OOOerr missus.

Any way on with the show, as Rog said , we got our own private 'Reds' show for about an hour and a half (We'd been stopped for about 30 seconds when we got buzzed by security but they didn't move us on .

It started in great light

3daysout015.jpg

3daysout047.jpg

3daysout044.jpg

Unfortunately we lost a lot of light by the time the four started their routine but I still got some good shots

3daysout054.jpg

A little more practise needed !!! but they did miss each other ,,,honest!!!

3daysout064.jpg

The final pass and roll away

3daysout085.jpg

3daysout088.jpg

Then off to Waddo for a brew and Bacon Butty . And a quick snap of the new (Not quite) secret Sentinal !!

3daysout092.jpg

Off to Coningsby next..

More to follow later