First aviation day of 2009

Bloody hell man thats terrible, I'm speechless, what a sad end to your trip, how are the wife and kids, are they ok.

I expect the Scouser blames you for it as usual, take it easy today, I know what broken ribs are like, bloody painfull, and there's nowt you can do about it.

All the best mate, look after yourself and I hope your appendage remained undamaged.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I turned into the close where I live last night at about 17.59 I received a text message on my phone from a mate at Tattershall informing me that THE LANC was up, yes Ian it took off at the last minute round about six as we were told by Tom Jones, just for the record though, there was nothing at all flying today from any of the local bases so yesterday was the right choice.

firbeck, check out the serial number on that Hunter at Gedney, it doesn't correspond to a Hunter I have been informed,

Rog

I'm gutted, the Lanc must have come out the hangar while I was up the other end of the runway, had I been in the car park I would have seen all the activity and stayed to watch, I reckon I only missed it flying by about 20 minutes.

The serial on the Hunter is correct, it's actually a very rare F1, delivered intially to the Fighter Leaders School then kept for 30 years by the ATC at Aberporth then delivered to Holbeach in 2005, the only problem is that it's in the wrong colour scheme, obviously well looked after though.

Poor old Ian, what a terrible thing to happen, just when he's obviously getting going in life, this sort of thing occurs with all the problems associated with it.

As they say, 'God works in wondrous ways', b@ll@cks.

Sorry to hear about that Ian and hope all the family are OK.

If the scousers been hurt I should imagine there will be some sort of all night vigil out side the hospital, flowers all over the crash site and no doubt someone will want to write a song about the incident.

Any way mate take care of yourself and look after the family

Rog

Ayup one and all, thanks for the kind words. Every body is fine , Charlotte bit her tongue slightly Adam had no obvious injuries, and they were both in hysterics for about 5 mins then they were running amoc whilst Tracey and I examined each other, Tracey (SWMBO) was O.K. but we decided I had at least one bust rib and so a trip to the hospital was called for, after a stupid long wait to be seen by Osama Bin Ladens brother I was finally allowed to leave .I'm just a little stiff now (No change there then.) and sore with some rather nice bruises to prove I've been in the wars. The Liverpudlian gentleman , (Scouse tw@t) was O.K. and left in a taxi to continue his journey)

Car looks to be written off (More to follow in a different topic)

Any way , on with the motley,

First of all , remember that two engined transport that flew over whilst we were saying our goodbyes at Petwood and we struggled to identify it ??

IMG_5381.jpg

Turns out it's a Russian Anotov An 30, over here on a photographic mission (So you never know he could have been taking a picture of us at the same time!!!)

More to follow when the edit is done .

First of all , remember that two engined transport that flew over whilst we were saying our goodbyes at Petwood and we struggled to identify it ??

Beefsteak

How are you feeling this dull and dismal morning. Have you had those terrible pain killers yet, I was given a load in casualty when I broke 3 ribs last year, they worked, but made me feel wierd, I gave up with them after a few days. Funny, I was also examined by Osama Bin Ladens brother, I couldn't understand a word he said, so I just kept nodding, he was more concerned about the late night drunks than a genuine injury case, whats the world coming to.

Your poor kids, it must have been very traumatic for them, but kids are very resilient aren't they.

Back to your posting, where was I when it flew over, I never saw it, was I in the bog in the Petwood or had I gone, though I seem to recall you went first, or did it fly over after you'd sent Rog and I the wrong way!!

It's part of the 'Open Skies' treaty worked out in 1992 giving various nations the rights to check on their neighbours arms misdemeanours. It's the reason why so many Phantoms were destroyed at that time, the Russians assumed that despite withdrawal from frontline service, anything like that lurking about could be classed as a threat.

We went to RIAT 2000 when it was at Cottesmore and one of their AN-30 'Clanks' was at the show:-

an-30.jpg

Not my picture but I have some great video of the inside of this thing. We wandered over to look at it and the Russian pilot invited us to look inside, why, because on entering the hold, they had set up a trestle table selling all kinds of stuff, Soviet badges, Russian souveniors and of course, Vodka.

It turned out that they hadn't been paid for several months and wanted to raise a bit of cash for themselves and so they could go to the pilots international disco and not feel embarassed. I spent a tenner on the most fantastic bottle of Vodka I've ever had, it was amazing stuff. At this point we were sent off into the cockpit, unsupervised!! That was an eyeopener. The controls were so crude and basic that my limited skills flying a Piper seemed more difficult to deal with. The nav had a tatty old map, a slide rule and half a pencil, that glazed nose was like sitting in the front of a Flying Fortress only less sophisticated. They lifted up the hatches and showed us the cameras which looked like something that had probably been fitted to that MkXIX Spit at the BBMF.

We came away realising how much of a bluff the mighty Soviet empire had been, still, at least we saw the poor old boys later, trotting off to the party in their best Soviet style uniforms of a quality that even Littlewoods wouldn't have found acceptable.

After checking the time of the picture it wasn't at The Petwood it was at Waddington, just before we got up close and personal with a pair of French Alpha Jets.

I'm still pretty sore , I gave up on the tablets too, they didn't seem to do anything for me . As I said , the kids were running round like 2 year olds 5 minutes after it had happened (They heal well, mentaly and physically , at that age) my lad keeps looking at my bruises and saying

" That your poor poor from the crash ?" and then proceeding to toch me on it !!!

I have some cracking pictures and have edited about 20 out of 580!! I'll start to post some when I have got dinner made.

Feeling a lot less sore today SWMBO and the kids have a few little bruises too,but I've have the piece de resistance across my chest

Any way here , as promised is the first of a few .

The Typhoon display pilot left the hard standing spot on 8 am and we decided to shoot round to crash gate 4 as the sun would be behind and therefore better for some decent pics.

Unfortunately he had just gone 54321 rotate and we missed the chance of a stationary shot before he went vertical!!!! It was an absolutely cracking display and one that I am really looking forward to seeing at the airshows I am going to this year.

Going up

IMG_5000-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5004-1_edited-1.jpg

and coming back down

IMG_5006-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5007-1_edited-1.jpg

A moody fluffy one

IMG_5010-1_edited-1.jpg

Getting on for mach 1

IMG_5030-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5037-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5058-1.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

A few more to follow!!!

Well done Beefsteak, I was getting worried and about to PM SWMBO, glad to see you back on line with a vengeance.

It's interesting to note that the display pilot went up in a two seater, not a clean one either, he still had his centre tank and sensor gubbins strapped on, but if you can chuck a heavyweight like that about with panache, who cares, it's all good practice.

Really great shots, having not used my film camera for several years and despite having a reasonable Canon 75-300 lens stuck on the end, I found it very difficult to cope with fairly simple take off and landing shots, when I get my film back, I have a feeling it might go straight in the bin, pity you didn't have to go back on my route and subsequently ended up at the end of the runway at 17:00.

After we left the Petwood we drove back past Waddington in time to see a Sentinel rising majestically away . Then I got up close and personal with a pair of Alpha jets.

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5435-1.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5451-1.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

And when I said "Up Close and personal" I meant "Up close and personal"

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

IMG_5439.jpg

Great pics Ian, worth posting on the aviation website, up close you say?? that explains why your hair looked shorter and your face redder when you came back from the flight path, The Alfa jet singe!!!!!

Rog

PS: the BBMF were up today, most of the afternoon including the Lanc

2008_1126AviationdayNovember0009.jpg

As you say Ian, Up close and personal, these comedians tried to blow me out of the hedge bottom at the side of Cranwell, like you the lens wouldn't go any shorter so I just got a bit of the Merlin

Rog

A few of "Just Jane" at East Kirkby.

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5151-1.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5177-1.jpg

A bit of 'prop blur' thrown in

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

Lucky bogger!!

IMG_5193-1_edited-1.jpg

I think that the first airshow date for the Typhoon is at the Spring air display at Duxford on May 17th. Is anyone interested? Check out their website for the other participants.

For those of us who don't go on these trips, could someone please put names to the faces on the Petwood Gang picture, please. I can guess a few, I know Beefy, and I'm guessing Fynger and Mrs Fynger, please name the others. Ta ever so.

Kath

From the left , Pete/Firbeck, Martine/Kev/ Mr Mrs Fynger,Den/ Denshaw, Rog/Plantfit, and yours truely