zab

Spotify Invites - Music Streaming Service

If the mods think this is inappropriate please remove.

For the last couple of months I've been beta testing a new on-line music service called Spotify.

http://www.spotify.com/en/

It's basically a huge on-line music service - you select the album or song or artist you want to listen to and it plays instantly, it has an extensive catalogue (going back to the 30's) but doesn't include some of the big names like the Beatles, Zeppelin and Floyd. All musical tastes are covered and tou can play anything from Woody Guthrie to the Rolling Stones to Mary Poppins to Gregorian Chants to Pink and beyond. It's all free, you have to listen to the odd advert like you would on commercial radio but they are very infrequent at present.

The free service is only available by invite - if you want one, drop me a pm with the e-mail address I should send the invite to. The service is only available in Europe.

(Nottstalgia Forum Members Only)

Probably you all know about this anyway.....................but maybe one or two will be interested!

It's written by Neil McCormick, rock critic

I have seen the future of the music business. And it is right under my nose. It is a little computer application called Spotify. It pops up on my screen as a sleek box. You can install it in seconds. It is easy to use. And one day soon Spotify (or something very like it) will provide all your music needs, anywhere, anytime, at the click of a button. For free.

The future is not quite here yet, which, to be honest, is a relief. I'm still trying to decide what to do with all the vinyl and CDs I have amassed over a lifetime as a music obsessive and rock critic. They cram the shelves of my attic office, gathering dust like some once-loved but long-neglected childhood toy. Google has already wiped out the usefulness of several shelves of music reference books and now Spotify threatens to do the same to my recorded music collection.

Already I have begun to notice that I don't get up from my chair when I am writing any more. When Lux Interior of the Cramps passed away recently, I knocked out 800 words, all the while reading lyrics, researching biographical details and listening to particular tracks without even swinging the chair around and walking all of four paces to where my Cramps vinyl is stashed.

On Spotify it took me seven seconds and three mouse clicks to dial up I Was A Teenage Werewolf (I know because I just timed it). And if that is not to your taste, you can listen to the new U2 album, in its entirety, as often as you want, a week before it is even released.

Spotify is an unlimited music "streaming" service, so you don't download the music, you listen to it in real time. But it is fast, accessible, you can make up your own playlists (effectively personal libraries to store access to all your favourites) and it has deals with all major labels, giving it a vast (and ever expanding) catalogue to rival iTunes. It is paid for with

15-second adverts every half hour, but unlimited music without adverts is available for a

£9.99 per month subscription.

Hi Zab,

I saw the Jeff Beck gig on bbc4 from day 1 and it was ace. Got the cd - getting the dvd. Fantastic. Hoping to catch him at Brighotn Dome later this year.

Thanks for the Spotify invite. I've been listening to it all day and it's Fab. Listened to David Crosby box set for a load of that and reailsed where I'd heard the Fleet Foxes before. I still think they're great though :-)

sr

Cheers Zab for the Spotify invite found some cracking stuff .

How come I missed this invite in January!

Thanks Zab, now signed up.

Great Stuff.

I merged the Spotify posts to one thread.

How do you get invites. Mine sez 0

You'll all get invites to offer eventually, might take a month or so before they filter through - I've been using this for months, the ISP I'm with got offered the chance to beta test it and they chose a few customers to try it out. It's now being offered by them and no doubt others but as a service it's still growing.

It's one of my favourite bits of software.

Dunno if its already been mentioned, but if youre after downloading music, and burning cd's from Spotify, you cant.

If you get a lil prog called 'Freecorder' ( free program ) you can record anything that your computer plays so you could record it and burn it later.

Craig is right, Spotify is streaming audio only.

Kev, to be honest I don't see the point of recording it as it's always on there - probably easier just to add it to a playlist rather than take up space on your pc.

I dont use spotify.....i was just stating a way to record any sound your computer can make.......i burn all mine to cds so they dont take up room on the computer tho theres still loads on it waiting.....i dont use the computer to play music...unless im cleaning up an LP recording.

Thanks Kev.

The Laptop Kept pulling the phones out of my ears whilst Jogging!

From the Guardian,

Much-vaunted online music service Spotify has been dealt a blow, after revealing that thousands of users' personal details may have been stolen by hackers.

According to an announcement by the service – which now has more than a million users worldwide – a group of computer criminals found a loophole in the program that gave them access to some users' passwords.

Although the passwords are encrypted, Spotify confirmed that they were still potentially vulnerable to a so-called "brute force" attack to try and guess them.

"Along with passwords, registration information such as your email address, birth date, gender, postal code and billing receipt details were potentially exposed," the company said. "Credit card numbers are not stored by us and were not at risk."

It said that the bug in the system was spotted and fixed shortly before Christmas, meaning that only users who signed up before December 19 could be affected. It is not clear how many people were using the service at that time, since Spotify was still an invitation-only service and has grown more rapidly in the subsequent months.

It is a troubling moment for Spotify, which is based in Sweden and London, and has been hailed by some as the future of online music.

The service has grown rapidly in recent weeks after it opened its doors to allow anyone from Britain to sign up. As a result, the company now boasts more than a million users across Europe, with an estimated 250,000 in the UK alone.

The service allows registered users instant access to a huge catalogue of music, picking any track they choose to stream directly over the internet to their computer.

Unlike rival services like Apple's iTunes, Spotify does not require music to be purchased and downloaded. The system's users can either sign up and listen to music for free with advertising – just like commercial radio – or pay up to £10 a month for ad-free access.

Although the program currently only runs on PCs, the company plans to expand its offering to include applications that could run on mobile phones or even the iPod, allowing subscribers to access low-cost music over the internet from anywhere.

The company did not return a call for comment.

Similar thing happened to the phbb forums; had an e-mail from Spotify explaining the issues - not quite as simple as the Guardian implies.

Dear Spotify user,

Last week we were alerted to a group that managed to compromise our protocols. After investigating we concluded that this group had gained access to information that could allow testing of a very large number of passwords, possibly finding the right one. The information was exposed due to a bug that we discovered and fixed on December 19th, 2008. Until last week we were unaware that anyone had had access to our protocols to exploit it.

Along with passwords, registration information such as your email address,birth date, gender, postal code and billing receipt details were potentially exposed. Credit card numbers are not

stored by us and were not at risk. All payment data is handled by a secure 3rd party provider.

If you have an account that was created on or before December 19th 2008, we strongly suggest that you change your password and strongly encourage you to change your passwords for any other services where you use the same password.

When choosing your password we provide you with an indicator of the password strength to help you choose a good one. To change your password please visit your profile page on our website.

https://www.spotify.com/en/account/profile/

For the technically minded amongst you, the information that may have been exposed when our protocols were compromised is the password hashes. As stated, we never store passwords, and they have never been sent over the Internet unencrypted, but the combination of the bug and the group's reverse-engineering of our encrypted streaming protocol may have given outsiders access

to individual hashes.

The hashes are salted, making attacks using rainbow tables unfeasible. Short or otherwise bad passwords could still be vulnerable to offline targeted brute-force or dictionary attacks on individual

users, but you could not run attacks in parallel. Also, there has been no known breach of our internal systems. A complete user database has not been leaked, but until December 19th, 2008 it was possible to access the password hashes of individual users had you reverse-engineered the Spotify protocol and knew the username.

We are really sorry about this and hope you accept our apologies. We're doubling our efforts to keep the systems secure in order to prevent anything like this from happening again.

Regards,

The Spotify Team

I have to admit I don't understand all this.... :smile:

Anyone got a spare invite code they can PM to me?

Please.

For the UK, I don't think you need one but give me 10 minutes and I'll get one to you.