The problem is, you get a benefactor with dollar but what can he do without infringing the fair play rules?

Eventually all football will have to go back to the basics, investment in youth should be the prime goal. Apart from a few not many can survive from gate money these days.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, considering Notts' situation specifically, they have spent big relatively at this level for this season but the don't appear to have spent wisely. They have a ridiculously large squad too which causes it's own problems. Money hasn't been the problem this term.

I agree with your point about youth and I think especially that clubs of Notts' size have to seriously think about being 'football factories' and invest in better facilities to bring youth on to sell them on. It's the only way forward that seem sustainable to me realistically.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh! dear, Oh! dear, belted 5 - 0 by the Stags.

Apart from the Stags having a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs (probably not realistic) it has not been a good year for Nottinghamshire's three league teams.

Hope Notts CCC can do us proud and good on the Panthers.

Reading about the hooliganism at Meadow Lane brought back a memory.

It was A Pre-season match between Notts County v Leicester.

The chants being sung were not very complimentary and some fans were getting very riled.

At one point about thirty Leicester fans came charging down the steps of the stand.

All that was in between them and Notts fans was one police man who stood there with his truncheon at the ready.

The charge came to a halt as nobody wanted to be the first to face the policeman and it all fizzled out.

I think that this was about 1970.

• Upvote 1

Redbowen............you made a post which seems to have disappeared about pictures of sheep on Meadow Lane,i followed it by saying that County's nick name was the Sheep'...............glad it vanished,.....cos it was the 'Lambs'.......you never here em called that today............

No, cos they're miming. It's the silence of the lambs!

Forest and County are getting what they deserve by employing rubbish managers on the cheap. The players know it and so do the fans who were very vociferous when they were appointed. No football club will ever do well if the owners are changing the manager every five minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is probably in the wrong thread so it can be moved if the mods seem fit,The year was 1966,I was 14 and used to watch Notts every other week down Meadow lane,It cost me 2 shillings to get in  but for an extra tanner I could buy a transfer ticket to sit down in the Meadow lane stand,which I sometimes did,programs were a shilling which I bought because inside was a token for you to cut out and save,a little picture of a lion in a football shirt called "World Cup Willy" if you saved so many tokens you could send them off to wherever and recieve a cuddly toy World Cup Willy,never did send off for him but with hindsite I wish I had,not a football follower any more but can remember one match of that winter that was played with an orange coloured football and the pitched was outlined with blue lining,snow on the pitch being the reason, from what I can remember Geoff Astle and Tony Hatley were the players of the day,sorry can't remember much more

Rog

• 1 year later...

Glad to see that the Magpies have secured a place in the play-offs. I hope they can get an automatic promotion spot and if they succeed and don't pass Forest on the way down there should be some cracking local derbies next season.

Alan has stated clearly that he will bankroll the club as far as the championship before he seeks to offload to an investor who's wealthier than he.

There can't be many owners who've made a profit from investing in a lower league club.

I personally think he and Kevin Nolan have achieved miracles following the mess the former owners left.

By way of a contrast it looks like the Radfords might be considering their future with Mansfield after another disappointing showing yesterday. Steve Evans is getting most of the blame for The Stags recent implosion. I suspect the Peterborough supporters will be turning on Mr Evans before long too.

• 4 weeks later...

I am disappointed that they did not reach the final after all they have had a good season which is more than can be said for the other Nottingham team.

Having said that I am not a fan of the play off method, if you finish in a promotion spot you get promoted, it does not seem fair that one bad game could potentially lose you that promotion.

Notts did not finish in the top four so justice was  probably done.

Same goes for a relegation spot but in reverse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've NEVER been in favour of the play offs. It's just plain wrong. How can a team that finishes with less points gain promotion. 

Its another farce thrust upon us for the benefit of the TV companies. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's the same with the Champions League (European Cup) A league which virtually assures the big name teams of progressing. It formerly was just Champions that entered, not the top four, and if you're unfortunate enough to get knocked out early, you enter another league that you haven't qualified for. Ludicrous. 

Doesn't look like we were much better at the time !

Notts Colts 1939-40  my Dad Geoff Moss, second one in kit on back row.  

He was only 18 when war broke out, moved into the 1st team towards the end of the season and after that I don’t think much football was played.  He signed as a professional with County whilst overseas representing the RAF but when the war was over he went back to a full-time job at the Royal Ordnance Factory and played for Gedling Colliery, Spalding and Bourne.  

5_E394_C65-9166-4356-9_CC7-_E414_A26_BA5

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Pity war broke out Lizzie. Who knows what his future could have been !

• Like 1

Great stuff Lizzie, thinking of making a comeback, but need new NOGS for me boots, :angry:

Great pic Lizzie. I must have met your dad at the ROF at some time but there were ~2000 worked there when I started, Only about 1500 when I left. Do you know the names of the players in the pic? Top right hand dude looks like me and my son at 20.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County