1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Great pic Lizzie. I must have met your dad at the ROF at some time but there were ~2000 worked there when I started, Only about 1500 when I left. Do you know the names of the players in the pic? Top right hand dude looks like me and my son at 20.

No PP, Dad hasn’t written any names by that photo unfortunately. All that’s written is ‘Notts Colts Side 1940’. There’s a photo in the album of the ROF Inter-section Cup Final 1949, but again there are no names.  Before your time though!!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I followed Notts matches for years..up and down the country ..sometimes twice a week.

Anglo Scottish against Chesterfield Town... is that a real memory.

I do recall Fashanu being sent off when he played against the recently left club ,Forest at City Ground.

Chidozie was a sensation..Eddie Kelly ,

And Roger who hosted the quizzes and played Howard Jones over the tannoy.

League Cup fourth round reply in November/December 1975 beating Everton 2 -0  having previously beaten Leeds Utd at Elland Road. Les Bradd get both goals, we stood in the County Road stand and it was literally rocking " Super Notts, dadada, Super Notts dadada..." 

• Like 1

I went to Peoples College Secondary (Technical) School on College St up from the Playhouse and behind the Cathedral. From my second year our gym teacher was Brian Moore who was outside right for county. He also took us for english language (he was a hard bogger, dint like me cus I was better looking than him)

• Like 1

In the summer of 1979, Notts were playing in the pre-season Bass Vase against Derby County, the game was played at the Bass Meadows Sports Ground. As a family we went along, and as normal we draped our banner over the railings. The banner said " Arthur Super Bionic Mann", Mum being massive fan of the under-rated Scottish midfielder. (Does anybody on the site remember our banner?) Anyway after the final whistle, Jimmy Sirrell made a point of coming over to us and thanking us for our support. He then asked us if we had an autograph book, my brother happened to have his with him, Jimmy said wait there, took the autograph book and returned 10 minutes later with all the player's authographs.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks Deepdene..forgot those things.

Were you at Chelsea when Notts got promoted to Division .1?

We were locked in the ground for hours as Ken  Bates blood was being chased?

Bus got stoned.

No but I know exactly where I was. 74 Bracebridge Drive at my Nan's house, if I remember correctly the game was held up for about twenty minutes in the second half due to a pitch invasion my Chelsea fans just after we went 2 - 0 up. Dad was going mad as he feared the game would be abandoned and have to be replayed.

• Like 1

I remember playing Fulham in the spring of 1976, George Best and Rodney Marsh were in the Fulham side. Pedro cleared out Best, just in front of us and the ref gave Fulham a free kick. Dad shouts out , "Aw dear ref, has Georgie hurt his knee?" 

George gets up with a big grin on his face and turns and winks at us.

• Like 2
On May 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

I remember playing Fulham in the spring of 1976, George Best and Rodney Marsh were in the Fulham side. Pedro cleared out Best, just in front of us and the ref gave Fulham a free kick. Dad shouts out , "Aw dear ref, has Georgie hurt his knee?" 

George gets up with a big grin on his face and turns and winks at us.

On May 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Deepedene 

Do you remember a player called Bill Brindley who played for County during this time. He was ahead of me at school and being out of the country never really got to see how he didi as a pro. 

At school part from Notts Boys i believe he played for England Schoolboys 

Martyn, yes I remember Bill Brindley, he was just coming to the end of his career at Notts when I first started going down the lane (first game October 1975, a Tuesday night 1-0 win against Plymoiuth Argyle) and Pedro Richards was staring to play more in Bill's place.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Martyn, yes I remember Bill Brindley, he was just coming to the end of his career at Notts when I first started going down the lane (first game October 1975, a Tuesday night 1-0 win against Plymoiuth Argyle) and Pedro Richards was staring to play more in Bill's place.

Somebody told me he was a county favorite. He apparently died quite young 

Will always love Forest............as for Cricket,,used to ,but lost interest last few years...still love discussing it from 50s to 70s.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Living here in the USA we don’t see much cricket except there is a league in Memphis run by Indian doctors and would you believe i’m too slow and not good enough to play (Not Fair). I have a cricket ball in my office fro throwing at people that t me off.

I went on vacation to Sri Lanka a couple of years ago and there was non stop cricket on the TV, very little of nay other sport - so along with India its still going good  

Sri Lankans are Cricket mad.........work with some teenage ones and often have a bit of a bowl with them,,even in Winter during their break, out comes the Cricket bats.....same with the Punjabi's.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Ridiculous ! Even I get no pleasure whatsoever from reading this. So why has he suddenly become a bad manager over the summer ? 

So the merry go round of musical managerial chairs has begun already.  Mindless !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fly, it is not just over the summer. At Christmas, Notts were second, eight points clear of fourth place looking odds on for automatic promotion. In thenned we scrapped into the play offs. Poor signings and trying to play too much football, when League 2 requires more physicality has seen Notts slip to the bottom of the entire football league. Kevin Nolan did well to turn things round and keep us in the league when he first arrived, and for that I thank him. However, a change is needed now to hopefully a long and very dark winter "dhan the Lane".

• Upvote 1

Well I presume Kevin Nolan is having a wry smile to himself this evening. Replaced as manager by one who was possibly the laziest player in the history of the Premier League (Baring Mark Viduka of course) and a resounding home defeat.

Not a deal for fans of both local teams to cheer about this weekend. Especially with the sheep winning !

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County