Pat Stanton

Jim Black

John Blackley

Alex Edwards

Jimmy O'Rourke

Alan Gordon

Alex Cropley

Arthur Duncan

The best in my lifetime, they absolutely destroyed Hearts on New Year's Day 1973, 7-0 at their place.

Stu,no relation to Jim but Eric black for Aberdeen wasn't a bad player..think he went to France or Italy?

I certainly remember Bestie washing up at Dunstable but Wiki says he was there on loan in 1974 and never played a game?

The same source states the Jeff was there in 1974-5 scored 25 goals but doesn't give appearances.

According to the information supplied by Dunstable Town for the match programme when they visited Merthyr Town earlier this season:

'1973 saw Dunstable end the season bottom of Division 1 North. The young Barry Fry became manager, but the club finished bottom again. The club then had a new owner Keith Cheeseman, who had a lot of money, or so it seemed, and former West Brom and England striker Jeff Astle was bought in, along with George Best who played 3 games for the club. 1974/75 saw Dunstable promoted back to the Southern Premier, having scored 105 goals - 34 of them by Astle. However, after getting into serious debt with Cheeseman’s mis-dealings, the club was shut down in the 1975/76 season.'

The club history on Dunstable's website has an extra bit of information:

'George Best even gave the club £25 out of his own pocket to buy a new set of nets.

It was shortly after that Best agreed to sign for Dunstable in the pre-season of 1974-75.'

• Upvote 1

Stu,no relation to Jim but Eric black for Aberdeen wasn't a bad player..think he went to France or Italy?

Think Eric went to Metz in France, Ian. Was quite successful if I remember. He was a 'modern' kind of forward and a technically good player who got a couple of caps.

From Leicester City I think, best known for his Arsenal days. Quality midfielder.

Cheers Stu,maybe his debut was against the toffies,I seldom use ' goggly'as a reference source,recall a highly charged game at Meadow Lane against them,what's the story with Hibs returning yer man to Dundee?

Other way round mate? Kevin Thomson has had two spells at Hibs and was let go (mistakenly in my view) the close season before last after Terry f***wit Butcher had all but ruined the club. He's had a good season and a bit at Dundee though his legs are on the wane a bit now. He'll be returning as a player coach, mainly the latter I would think, and was at the game today. Probably announced with Celtic and ROI striker Anthony Stokes (on loan) tomorrow.

News coming out that County the subject of a winding up petition from HMRC due to be heard 19th December.

This is probably in the wrong thread so it can be moved if the mods seem fit,The year was 1966,I was 14 and used to watch Notts every other week down Meadow lane,It cost me 2 shillings to get in  but for an extra tanner I could buy a transfer ticket to sit down in the Meadow lane stand,which I sometimes did,programs were a shilling which I bought because inside was a token for you to cut out and save,a little picture of a lion in a football shirt called "World Cup Willy" if you saved so many tokens you could send them off to wherever and recieve a cuddly toy World Cup Willy,never did send off for him but with hindsite I wish I had,not a football follower any more but can remember one match of that winter that was played with an orange coloured football and the pitched was outlined with blue lining,snow on the pitch being the reason, from what I can remember Geoff Astle and Tony Hatley were the players of the day,sorry can't remember much more

Rog

Glad to see that the Magpies have secured a place in the play-offs. I hope they can get an automatic promotion spot and if they succeed and don't pass Forest on the way down there should be some cracking local derbies next season.

I get the impression that the club’s owner, Allan Hardy, may not be able to afford to keep hold of the club with all of the win bonuses he’s had to pay out. Perhaps he’ll be looking to offload it next season?

Alan has stated clearly that he will bankroll the club as far as the championship before he seeks to offload to an investor who's wealthier than he.

There can't be many owners who've made a profit from investing in a lower league club.

I personally think he and Kevin Nolan have achieved miracles following the mess the former owners left.

By way of a contrast it looks like the Radfords might be considering their future with Mansfield after another disappointing showing yesterday. Steve Evans is getting most of the blame for The Stags recent implosion. I suspect the Peterborough supporters will be turning on Mr Evans before long too.

O'Dear!

DdgiTovXUAAnJjL?format=jpg

• Upvote 1

I am disappointed that they did not reach the final after all they have had a good season which is more than can be said for the other Nottingham team.

Having said that I am not a fan of the play off method, if you finish in a promotion spot you get promoted, it does not seem fair that one bad game could potentially lose you that promotion.

Notts did not finish in the top four so justice was  probably done.

Same goes for a relegation spot but in reverse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've NEVER been in favour of the play offs. It's just plain wrong. How can a team that finishes with less points gain promotion. 

Its another farce thrust upon us for the benefit of the TV companies. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree entirely FLY.

It's the same with the Champions League (European Cup) A league which virtually assures the big name teams of progressing. It formerly was just Champions that entered, not the top four, and if you're unfortunate enough to get knocked out early, you enter another league that you haven't qualified for. Ludicrous. 

Notts were struggling 79 years ago even!   It was at this time when my Dad was playing for them. 

3870_EDB8-_DB9_D-4_DD5-_B133-298026_F459

Doesn't look like we were much better at the time !

Notts Colts 1939-40  my Dad Geoff Moss, second one in kit on back row.  

He was only 18 when war broke out, moved into the 1st team towards the end of the season and after that I don’t think much football was played.  He signed as a professional with County whilst overseas representing the RAF but when the war was over he went back to a full-time job at the Royal Ordnance Factory and played for Gedling Colliery, Spalding and Bourne.  

5_E394_C65-9166-4356-9_CC7-_E414_A26_BA5

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1