70th Anniversary RAF watch

Know what you mean Stan, I live and work in Bomber county and see the names on the memorials most days of the week, Ian's got some pictures of them

Rog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Ian, I'm on me works computer and it's rubbish, I'll try when I get home, also check your emails tonight, got a bit of a scoop for you

Rog

There was some allied pilot who is credited with most aircraft destroyed after flying through a hanger , dropping bombs inside, destroying a lot of planes (He also had a lot of "Kills" in the air Can't remember who or even where he came from!! (May have been Russian)

I suppose that says it all about the modern attitude to the enormous Bomber Command Sacrifice,Ashley. Whilst I agree it is horrific to see women and children slaughteredby the Israel armed forces their deaths are usually quick.

Compare this to say the lot of a 19 or 20 year old boy aircrew member.

1. He has to fly a minimum of 30 missions .

2 He has a 1 in 20 chance of being killed each time he flies. 3.If shot down,he has a 1 in 10 chance of reaching the ground alive.

Little wonder that very few aircrew came out alive,and those that didwould have been mentally scarred for life.

oh I wasn't making light of it, just pointing out a fact, what was the total, over 70,000? and about same for USAAF, I tried to trace a USA Sargent who was at Langer in the war who went out with my aunt, after her death in the 90's I found letters from him in original stamped envelopes after he'd been posted "somewhere in england" inc one with classic line "am I right in thinking nine and a half is your nylons size?" there was another letter in an american red cross envelope. The USA embassy not very helpful saying they could give no info on ex GI's, that said did send me lots of info re crew of Memphis Belle after their return to USA, If you saw the film the crew's names stories etc in such were not as in real life and no one was injured on last mission nor did they crash land

Patrick McGoohan, the creator and star of cult classic The Prisoner, has died aged 80.

Dint know where to put this but thort it worth a mention somewhere....... :Shock:

Did one of those big white balls get him? an actor in the Michael Caine style, ie whatever the role was it was always the same mannerisms, voice, looks etc

Also played the part of an MP in the film the Dambusters, he was outside the ops room when poor old Nigger went looking for his master, the MP sent him away only for poor old Nigger to be run over by a motor car and killed, he was buried outside Gibsons office at RAF Scampton, hoping to get a visit there this summer, what do you think Ian?

Rog

Also played the part of an MP in the film the Dambusters, he was outside the ops room when poor old Nigger went looking for his master, the MP sent him away only for poor old Nigger to be run over by a motor car and killed, he was buried outside Gibsons office at RAF Scampton, hoping to get a visit there this summer, what do you think Ian?

Rog

If you go,Rog,enquire at the guardroomfor the chap who will show you all over the base without hassle.There is a small 617 squadron museum in station HQ Nigger`s grave is still intact with rail around it. A lot of the base dismantled though.

RAF Scampton, hoping to get a visit there this summer, what do you think Ian?

Rog

I'm always up for a bit of Scampton, I was up for it in November when 'The Reds' were up, but we just didn't have the time

I've also found out that a lad I was at school with is still in the RAF and working with 'The Reds ' at Scampton , I am trying to contact him through Freinds Reunited , you never know !!