GAS, do you have to be corgi registered?

Ayup Ashley,

It is against the law to repair,service,maintain any gas appliance unless you are Corgi registered, if anything were to go wrong (god forbid) you could end up being charged with manslaughter or even murder

Rog

Check out the trading standards or the HSE web sites

Rog.

But remember if you service it yourself and it blows your house up and the house next door you will be held responsible for any damage or death that may occur by your actions

The same reason that if you left your keys in your car and the engine running , and go to pay for your petrol , some one steels your car ,they won't pay out

Because you haven't taken reasonable precautions to prevent it happening . If you blow up your house it's your fault for not taking reasonable precautions to prevent it happpening, by being inconsiderate and doing a job that you weren't qualified to do!

As far as I'm aware, you are allowed to service, install, remove etc. your own equipment if you are COMPETENT however, you are not allowed to do any other GAS work , i.e. your neighbours, friends, relatives, commercial et al.

No doubt someone will come along and disprove the above.

There's nothing to stop you doing it if you want to . But if you don't have a clue what you're doing ,then it would be a bit dumb!!

Recently had a new gas fire installed by Corgi Tradesman. Maybe he was blowing his own trumpet but told me that when a gas appliance is installed/maintained it should be by a Corgi Registered Plumber. When this occurs he issues a certificate to confirm that the work has been done by Corgi Registered Tradesman.

Each gas appliance you have should have a Certificate to confirm installation and ANNUAL inspection/service.

Apparantly if you do not have these certificates you cannot obtain one of the new HIP packs to sell property. If you have had a gas appliance installed for 20 years you SHOULD have 20 certificates for it? Maybe he was having me on.

Just to make a point, as long as you check your work for leaks after you've installed or repaired your appliance/s there is no danger. ALWAYS check for leaks using soapy water, any bubbles, tighten the joint a little more.

I installed my own 500 gallon propane tank, pipework, I used flared joints, installed the hot water heating lines and line to gas range. I know I'm in a different country with different laws. I had a couple of leaks which were soon rectified.

Both the range and water heater are installed with high quality ball shutoff valves to isolate the gas supply in case of emergencies.

I'm not allowed to install gas equipment for other people though, just my own, I'd need certification form state government departments for that.

an even better test is to use a manometer drop test where you pressurise the system then shut off and see if pressure drops, In the uk a person with required competence (experience and ability to do the job, NOT any certification or memmbership of Corgi) can install or work on their own gas equipement, and not only that he can do similar for friends and relatives as a favour!

But all a gauge will tell you, is if you have a leak or not, not where it is, so why not just use a small glass with soapy water and a small paintbrush and make sure each joint is OK??

A bit like large hydraulic circuits, the pressure gauge will show you that there's a leak after the pumps shut down, but one has to do a spot of leg work to locate it.

True, but some joints are hard to get at and if you can prove via manometer there is no leak no need to go hunting around every union, back nut or soldered joint, as regards the match method again true but not recomended in gas installation and safety regs! the lower explosive level is quite low. The reason I asked originally is I wanted to know what the average person thought ( am in a dispute over such)