My first purchase from Selecta was the Family LP, "Music In A Dolls House" from Arkwright St.

After that, being employed on Goldsmith St, I was literally only yards away from their shop, and many hours were spent there, mainly at lunch time, looking through the many racks of albums, and in the time there, getting to know the team, including Jim, Kev Thomas, John with a Polish surname (Jablonski?) and Phil, who at the time had a typical 70's tash....thats not the current owner is it?

In hindsight it seems that Brian (Selby) sold it at just the right time, but what a crying shame it is that a part of Nottinghams musical history, at least as far as retail shops are concerned, is going.......... :(

I heard that John Jablonski move to the States, west coast I think but that might only be a rumour. There is still a Selectadisc in London, I wonder if they'll keep that one going (different owners).

Pete (Zab) now you mention it, I do remember John going to the States, as for the Selecta in Soho, I believe that was sold some time back, Ive been by it a few times, and as far as I can remember, it sure isnt called Selectadisc anymore.

During my stint on Goldsmith St, it was my birthday, and the guys bought me the album on Chrysallis by Sir John Betjamin (sorry if thats spelt wrong!)

I remember too, talking to Brian Selby about Rufus, and saying to him I thought it was "pseudo soul" compared to the stuff I was into.

The trademark black decor with the spotlights, and loud music will be sadly missed.

We missed off Phil Large from the employee role, he went from there to rep for Island, and possibly others, and in fact I saw him a few months back

We missed off Phil Large from the employee role, he went from there to rep for Island, and possibly others, and in fact I saw him a few months back

Your thinking of Little & Large Craig !! try Phil Long he went on to run the Blue Note club in Derby. When i was a youth he used to go out with my sister i still have loads of island 7" records all with " DJ COPY NOT FOR RESALE " stamped on them .

Oops! Well I'm sure you'll agree his surname doesn't actually fit his height !!

Oh, I popped in yesterday to see Jim, and he told me there's a distinct possibility that him and another guy will be setting up a similar shop.

Dont have any more details at present, but that would be good!

• 2 weeks later...

The end of March will certainly be a sad day when we say goodbye to Selectadisc, I have so many memories from buying my first Wedding Present album (George Best) in 1987 to discovering some great bands and genres before they hit the scenes, the likes of Mudhoney, Green River, Richard Hawley, the list goes on and on (as does my huge record and cd collecton).

I think I lost countless hours of my life thumbing through vinyl, 7" and cd sections in the various shops that Selecta had over the years, it was really part of the whole social music scene of Nottingham.

3366558050_e05808eb94_b.jpg

You folks may be able to collaborate on a blog I am running with to try and bring some of the many memories, anecdotes and pictures of one of Nottinghams most iconic shops together.................... if we get enough togther I may even look at getting into some kind of print........ so come on over and leave me your memories:

http://axeman3uk.blogspot.com

if you cannot or do not want to register on Blogger please e-mail me any memories / pics etc to: axeman3uk@hotmail.com

Good luck to Jim and the guys of Selectadisc and Jim's quest to continue the name in some form.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Brian Selby's pioneering career in the 60s & 70s as one of the UKs earliest bootleggers of obscure American soul 45s. I think the first one he did was probably The Tams' "Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me", but he went on to put out loads on labels such as Black Magic & Green Light that he sold in the old Arkwright Street shop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Another end of another era. I spent hours (and pounds) in Selectadisc over the years.

I don't think I ever met or knew Brian Selby, but I will always remember his name because back in the days before electronic payments, there was always a hand-written sign in the shops which said "Cheques to be made payable to Brian Selby"

"He also opened The Garage nightclub in the Lace Market which was one of the first clubs to play house music in the UK."

We wont hold that against him. He is responsible also for my collection of soul singles, and some of my taste in other music.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/24/2009 at 9:41 PM, Suzuki said:

rarities book

I"d totally forgotten about that, black cover? 

RadfordRed, later, wasn't the carrier grey, with black logo, very scrunchy, lacked the vinyl quality of the yellowback..

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Radio Nottingham has just broadcast a programme called For the Record: The Selectadisc Story (part 1). It's in a series called We Are Notts. Presumably part 2 will be next Sunday @ 1700 but part 1 is available on BBC Sounds. Well worth a listen if this was your era. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that information. I'm certainly a member of that generation, having spent a small fortune in Selectadisc in my earlier days.

This is a link to the relevant BBC Sounds page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c4stns

I haven't listened yet, but will get round to it in the next couple of days.