Lived in Clifton all my life and l find it incredible that for over 30 years the debate about widening the A453 has gone on so long with the volume of traffic on this road going through clifton these days it should have been sorted out years ago. Over 20 years ago they were talking about different routes from off junction 24 on the A453 to avoid clifton and this has been on going as more cars have come onto the roads.The A453 from clifton bridge to Juntion 24 is a nightmare at any time of the day and from 4pm it's at go slow pace. Now the transport minster has said plans to widen the roads should go ahead and if so this will start in 2010.

Plans to widen the A453 between Nottingham and junction 24 of the M1 have moved a step closer.

Quote:Detailed proposals have been published and backed by the transport minister - but the funding for the £141m to £194m project has not yet been approved.

Officials said the upgrade would have "huge benefits" for the area.

The plans will go on show from 25 February and depending on objections, inquiries and funding, the new road could be opened by 2012.

Improvements have been under discussion since the 1980s, with businesses saying the project was vital to the local economy.

Increasing congestion

The new plans involve constructing 5.6 miles (9km) of dual two-lane carriageway between the M1 in Leicestershire and a new roundabout at Mill Hill in Clifton. ................................................................................

l would like to know why has it took so long to sort out this road which must be one of the worse roads in England for traffic congestion , and why plan in the first place to make it into a dual carriage going through one of the largest housing estates in europe. There is Clifton estate on one side and from the A453 at crusader island down to bottom of clifton/Farnborough road juntion houses on the other with the plan of the widening of the road in between which could be accident hotspots with people crossing roads for shops, buses, children going to school or playing out. In my eyes they have never really thought this through and in all these years are still undecided. :crazy:

There surely has were the cooling towers are.

The car park at the station is free at the moment but there's plans to start charging for the use of in the neat future.

I've heard from the horses mouth the charge could be 10 squid a day.

Sounds reseanable to me............not!

Bip.

Won't this cause a bottle neck elswhere and only move the problem, why not spend that money on another bridge across the trent between Clifton and the motorway or even bye passing Clifton altogether and crossing Clifton pastures to feed the A52 east of Nottingham say the other side of Ruddington. Just a thought

Rog

It's unlikely that anything will happen until they get approval for the Clifton tram funding, assuming they will. Then you can look forward to even more disturbance when they start laying track, putting up catenary and generally causing mayhem in the area.

In my day the A453 went through Sawley and Long Eaton! Talk about a nightmare...

Won't this cause a bottle neck elswhere and only move the problem, why not spend that money on another bridge across the trent between Clifton and the motorway or even bye passing Clifton altogether and crossing Clifton pastures to feed the A52 east of Nottingham say the other side of Ruddington. Just a thought

Rog

l know there were different routes mentioned like a bye pass going onto the A60 and building a bridge before clifton to run a dual carriage way on the other side of the trent :unsure: don't know if any of this will ever happen as it's gone on for so long. As for the trams into clifton l'm not sure if this will happen also as this was spoke about a few years ago and l'm sure they had a date when they wanted to start this and this has past already.

The date hasn't passed, the funding has been approved and an enquiry was held over land purchases back in October. I presume that they are still drawing up 10,000 page legal documents before anything is announced, which I heard was supposed to be in February.

We'd be lucky to get a planning application for a simple extension on a house approved in that timescale by the councils down here.

When I lived over there and drove for my living, I stopped using junction 24 to access the city a long long time ago. I always went off at junction 21 a ( just after Leicester Forest East services) this gives access to the A46 and then into the city via the bottom end , it was even better if I was heading home as I would stay on the 46 and go in via Gunthorpe. It wasn't until the last Aviation day when I went to collect Rob from Bingham that I found out that that end was now congested too. (Mind you they had (on that very day) agreed to widen that strech to a duel carriage way too)