windows xp trouble

Wheres that ******** hammer! compusmash HELP! PC totally gave up the ghost, no worries says my son, I've an old one, actually bigger than my old one but had 98 on it, so I installed XP, great no probs and email ok, till I turned it off! on restarting it just gets as far as windows logo and monitor screen not so bright, can run safe mode and eventually (sometimes) after pressing this and that and going on various topics it does come up (hence me writing this) Also cannot now get windows disc to play in CD Rom, (forget where/how to type this D:\run thing?) and "expert down the pub" says I must reformat PC something like press Ctrl and F1 but I've not come across that? any one any ideas?

If you can still write to 'floppy disk' i can email you the contents of a boot disk that you'll have to write to floppy and work from that....at least it'll boot up with a cd and then you can run 'setup' and re-install from the windows disk....just a thought..

...i had to do this a couple of weeks ago....now im on a brand new hard drive with a fresh 'xp'....just had to go digging for all my programs to put back on...Thankfully not that many as i have 4 hard drives connected to my pc.

Ashley ...ive also just sent you a pdf file thru about pc errors and solutions....should be worth a read...just d/loaded it off torrents....looks good too....check yer e-mail should be there

It does sound like an incomplete install, if the PC is old the problem might just be that XP can't find some of the drivers it needs. Are you sure the other one is completely dead?

Latest Update! Totally wiped everything off pc and reloaded XP with ne partition, everything worked! till I turned off and tried to start up agin, the all I got was a "dull" windows image, tried various things and eventually worked out this routine! when I get dull screen, press restart, go to safe mode, restart again, and it works! However now after loading Serif, BTinternet, and various music from disks the cd work work! tray opens and closes green light flickers but that yer ****** lot! not sure if a programme or a "mechanical" fault? Any ideas?

I'm not 100% but it could be a card issue . I.e your reboot disc didn't contain the reboot for your CD player . I had that problem when I had to format mine (This time it was the DVD player

Does that make sense ??

I'm not 100% but it could be a card issue . I.e your reboot disc didn't contain the reboot for your CD player . I had that problem when I had to format mine (This time it was the DVD player

Does that make sense ??

sounds right but how to cure?

I got hold of Dell as my computer was still under warranty . But there are downloads (Free ) that will do it for you , I can't reccommend any , but let the computer boffins read this and I'm sure they will sort you out!!

Try starting up in DOS and then use the setup command from the XP disc. Alternatively, try starting the PC in safe mode (press F8 before Windows starts) and choose 'last good configuration'.

If it starts up on a new install and works OK till you shut it down then it is not a hardware problem.

Even though you do a hard drive format, this, unfortunately does not delete all that is on the hard drive. Seems like you have a setting wrong in the Bios. You can do all sorts of damage if you don't know your way around the Bios so, if you are not sure, ask someone you know to have a look.

Have you considered fitting a second hard drive?