Broadmarsh - Greyfriar Gate

Anyone remember the Greyfriars chip restaurant?, used to be next to Broadmarsh car park (early 60's), before the shopping centre was built, on the same side of road as the'Sherwood rooms??? Me mam would take me there on a friday afternoon, for a fish n' chip dinner (dinner were at dinner time in them days) !jumping!

I vaguely remember it. Wasn't the frontage a pale green colur.? It moved somewhere else when they built the Broad Marsh, where did it go to ??

That's correct there were a chippy called Greyfrairs at the bottom of Hockley.

It was there up until 200?

But wouldn't know if it's there now.

Bip.

• 6 years later...

Crikey .....

Transformation of Nottingham’s Broadmarsh area will create 3,000 jobs

Nottingham City Council is today (Tuesday 1 December) unveiling wide-ranging plans to dramatically transform and regenerate the Broadmarsh area of Nottingham city centre.

The proposals are expected to boost the local economy by over £1billion a year, create nearly 3,000 jobs for local people and attract an extra three million people a year to the city.

The plans, alongside intu’s proposed redevelopment of Broadmarsh, Nottingham Castle’s redevelopment and the Skills Hub scheme, will transform the southern end of the city centre into a top-class destination for retail, leisure and education. Collectively, they represent a £250m investment in the city.

At the centre of the council’s new proposals are plans to redevelop the current Broadmarsh car park and bus station into a 21st century facility. Opportunities will be created for cafes and commercial units on the ground floor, as well as providing 1,150 improved parking spaces on the upper floors, transforming the current layout of the bus station and introducing state-of-the-art public transport information facilities to better serve thousands of bus passengers who use the station each day.

Significant changes to the streets in the Broadmarsh area include:

Creating a brand new public space on Collin Street linking intu Broadmarsh with the new cafés and other commercial outlets on the ground floor of the car park building, and creating a pedestrian-friendly street
This will include high quality paving with landscaping, public art, a water feature and outdoor cafés, transforming it into a safe and attractive space for people to enjoy
The public space will be capable of hosting major events in the day and night, helping to further boost the city’s reputation for hosting top-class entertainment and activities
Improving pedestrian approaches from the south with upgraded streets, safer junctions and better pedestrian flows in the area
Re-routing traffic currently using Collin Street and Canal Street onto London Road, Queen’s Road, Sheriffs Way and Waterway Street West and moving buses currently stopping at Collin Street onto Canal Street to better connect with the transformed bus station. Relocating the car park’s vehicle entrance / exit to Middle Hill.
The core development area is book-ended by Nottingham Castle to the west, poised for a £24m transformation, and a new Skills Hub to the east, due to be developed by Central College and New College Nottingham as a new flagship building just off Middle Hill. These developments, combined with intu’s plans for the shopping centre and the council’s plans for the surrounding area, are expected to attract an extra three million visitors a year, bringing with them an estimated £25m increase in spending. There is potential for a new tram stop to be introduced on Middle Hill in the future to serve the area and the many more pedestrians, students, shoppers, and leisure seekers who will be attracted to it.

Councillor Jon Collins, Leader of Nottingham City Council and Portfolio Holder for Strategic Regeneration and Development, said: “Nottingham remains a popular destination, but the area between the redeveloped station and soon-to-be-redeveloped shopping centre needs rejuvenating.

“With plans for the castle, shopping centre and a new college on the horizon, we have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to transform this part of the city, to grow the city as a whole and to boost the city centre economy by attracting millions of pounds into our retail and leisure sector and creating a significant numbers of jobs for local people.”

Councillor Nick McDonald, Portfolio Holder for Jobs, Growth and Transport, said: “I’m excited about these significant developments which will massively transform the whole south side of the city.

“Our scheme will help to give a good, welcoming impression of our city to the many new visitors and leisure seekers arriving in this part of the city. And it will deliver a return on the public investment being put into it.”

Work to transform the Broadmarsh area will start early next year and will be delivered through a coordinated and staged programme of improvements, estimated to take around four years to complete. The first phase of the development involves a planning application being submitted today (1st December) for the transformation of the Broadmarsh car park and bus station. The application is available to view and for people to comment by logging onto www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/broadmarsharea.

Public comments are being invited on four designs which have been drawn up for the Collin Street public space. Further consultation will be carried out on various aspects of the scheme as they come forward over the coming weeks and months.

It's OK the council bragging that it will create 3000 jobs with this scheme, what it doen't tell us is how many will be lost, will these so called new jobs be "proper" jobs or zero hour jobs ?

I don't trust Collins & his cronies one little bit.

More traffic chaos for the next four years. By that time the next stage of that waste of time white elephant "THE TRAM" will be ready for extending again at huge cost to the council tax payers of this city.

• Upvote 1

Its all eyewash..anyone remember the proposed electric walkways on Colin st.way back in the 70's..since they pulled down Nottm Vic in '67 I have no time for our planners..filled in all the tunnels!! WTF?? Why didn't they use the tunnel for a park and ride? Straight out into a bug unit yoke and up Mansfield rd! Planners and council my hole?? £300 odd quid to park your own car at work?? Jack Dunnet would turn in his grave!!

Meanwhile going back 7 years to the original post....

Anyone remember the Greyfriars chip restaurant?, used to be next to Broadmarsh car park (early 60's), before the shopping centre was built, on the same side of road as the'Sherwood rooms???

The building on the right. Not on the same side as Sherwood Rooms, but opposite them. Sherwood Rooms is the building just creeping in on the left.

greyfriar_2.jpg

A load of gigantic 'orrible slabs - not an atom of character anywhere - nothing to distinguish it from a hundred similar centres up and down the land. How they can babble on about being "excited" by this apology for architecture is beyond me.

• Upvote 3

Anybody know what's happening to the enormous amount of traffic that currently uses the two roads concerned?

In laymans term please.

More students, more litter, more traffic congestion, more inconvenience for motorists which in turn will lead to more fines therefore more cash for the council. Oh , I've got it now.

• Upvote 1

I think the idea is FLY is that motorists will soon get pissed off with the congestion caused by this white elephant that they will leave the car at home & use the tram !

Cue conspiracy theories.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate that the scruffy bit currently in the middle is an eyesore, but traffic build up will be horrendous.

The councils keep mentioning 'Traffic Flow ' that's utter crap. What they really mean is 'Traffic CONTROL ' , they love that word CONTROL don't they. Power struck idealists. In my language that can only mean tw4ts.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, Wilford Rd bridge is one lane each way and can't be widened. Every single car that currently uses Canal St (currently 4 lanes) will have to use London Rd, then Queens Rd, the Sheriff's Way (all 4 lanes) then onto Wilford Rd which goes from 4 lanes down to 2 over the bridge. The only way of making it work will be to demolish the building where the Evening Post used to be which wiull be ludicrous as it's such a recent development.

I'd like to know where the bloke walking the dog is going...You can't take them in a cafe or a shop and they're not allowed on trams..maybe he's gonna bath it in a water feature.

• Upvote 1

YOURS, you can bet your life on that !

• Upvote 1