Greengrocer? with Brown Bowler Hat?

Tonight I found an Evening Post report on the shop with a colour picture. In the picture are Joan and Harold Wealthall with Doreen Crossland (shop assistant), Edna Holt (family friend) a customer whose face I remember but not her name and Andrew Wealthall in the background stacking shelves. The date of this is 1969 and the article also includes a few words on Harold Snr. This is like a half page piece and a little difficult to scan whole, but when I do I will put it on the site. Talking of meat or no meat, I spent a month in Mongolia in July for the Naadem festival. The Mongolian's are big meat eaters, lamb and beef and retain their nomadic culture. I stayed with family friends in the countryside for a few days, no toilet and no running water. In the morning we drove up the valley to a spring and filled a milk churn with daily water. When we returned the sheep was waiting for the festival meal, still alive. the animal was slaughtered, hung drawn and quartered. The internal organs were thoroughly cleaned by the ladies squatting on the floor and then cooked. Outside a fire was set alight and smooth round stones were found. The stones were placed on the fire until they were red hot (not literally red). Then the hot stones, the lamb meat on bone, the cabbage, carrots and onions were placed in a cooking pot the size of a milk churn, all packed together. The lid was then placed on the pot and securely attached like a pressure cooker lid. Then placed on the open fire and cooked for up to two hours. During cooking the family and guests sat on the house floor to feast on the cooked internal parts with bread. When ready the lamb meat and veg was eaten. When finished we went to the village festival to see horse racing, wrestling and partake in drinking horse milk. If you are a veggie then don't travel there. Mr. Waldron would have enjoyed it. Reminded me of my days in Pemberton Street, Nottingham, at the end of Red Lion Street.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the talk of Grimston Road, here's a  couple of not-exactly-brilliant  photos showing the back yard areas on that road.   On the left is my uncle, with next door's back windows over

We had adjoining rooms in Majorca and in the morning before breakfast I would find her on her balcony looking peacefully out to sea. To me it seemed as if she was thinking about her life. What had hap

Thanks to a link on another thread, we finally have a photo of the man in question.      https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/17659-old-photos-of-alfreton-road/  

• 1 year later...

In my day I don't recall ever seeing  a bowler hat in Nottingham, especially on a grocer. I suppose I always thought it was a London thing.

Edited to add.  I wonder if our Ben had a bowler to go with his LB.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My Granddad Ben wore one for funerals and London business trips for the NUR..............He met Clement Atlee you know !   lol

On the day he met Mr Atlee,,he spoke on Television,,never forget his words..........................''No Comment''

Edited again for Loppy..........only wore one once when singing ''raindrops keep falling on my head'  'whist riding me bike.....lol

• Like 3
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Edited again for Loppy..........only wore one once when singing ''raindrops keep falling on my head'  'whist riding me bike.....lol

Apparently in the Wild West, the bowler was a far more common piece of headwear than the stereotypical 'cowboy hat'.

Don't think Clint would have quite cut the mustard in a bowler though.

• Like 1

I had a bowler hat, aged about 7. Brown it was, and I wore it with a camel coat. Got a pic somewhere outside the registry office after a wedding. 

• 1 year later...

Yes, I remember the house with the monkey tree on Churchfield.  My Nan lived in Wordsworth Road after moving there after selling the Newsagents on Alfreton Road.  Bensons.   I used to visit my Nan at weekends and remember playing with Diane when I was about 6/7.  She had a red tricycle and I was very envious as I only had a scooter..!!

I visited Wealthalls shop regularly and used to go and chat to Mrs Wealthall who was mostly confined to the settee in the living room.

It has been nice to read these memories from way way back..!!

• Like 1

Welcome, Lachesis! Love the classical name.

I remember the newsagents. Loved the smell of perfumed birthday cards they kept in boxes under the counter on the right hand side for people to sort through. They weren't individually wrapped in single use(less) plastic in those days. Also purchased my Teddy Bear, Bunty and Twinkle comics from there as a small child. Happy days!

My family lived at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road. Mum was born there in 1926 and her parents moved into the house when it was first built around 1922. She and her mother before her did their daily shopping at 'the bottom shops', as they were called, on Alfreton Road.

Did you go go school locally, Lachesis? 

Welcome to Nottstalgia lachesis. You've probably seen some of my earlier posts in this thread, and you mentioned something which I remember about Wealthall's shop.

17 hours ago, lachesis said:

I visited Wealthalls shop regularly and used to go and chat to Mrs Wealthall who was mostly confined to the settee in the living room.

I probably also saw her, but it would've been through the door from the shop.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:10 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I remember the shop on Grimston Road very well; my grandparents lived on Grimston and we often visited them. If a customer was standing in the shop area, would they have been able to see through a door into a living room where the shop occupants lived ?   It would have been almost like having a shop within someone's house.

When you say Mrs Wealthall was confined to the settee in the sitting room, Lachesis, I presume you mean Harold's mother and not his wife? His wife was always in the shop and worked like a Trojan, carting heavy bags of veggies around. She always looked a picture of health.

Yes, it was Mrs Wealthall Sr.  My Nan was very friendly with both of them as they were all business owners with shops nearly next to each other.  She was also very friendly with the Waldrons (?) 

I lived with my maternal grandparents on Portland Road near Canning Circus as my mother had died very young.  I went to St Mary's Catholic School on Derby Road until age 9 when I moved with my father to Bournemouth.  I have loads of cousins still in Nottingham - the place you are born always draws you back..!!

20 minutes ago, lachesis said:

the place you are born always draws you back..!!

That's very true, Lachesis. I went back earlier this year. Very little had changed as regards the buildings but it was so dirty and dilapidated it was heartbreaking to witness, especially when you remember how it once was.

54 minutes ago, lachesis said:

Yes, it was Mrs Wealthall Sr.  My Nan was very friendly with both of them as they were all business owners with shops nearly next to each other.  She was also very friendly with the Waldrons (?)

Wardens was the butchers shop on the corner of Wordsworth Road, Radford Boulevard. Quite often my mum would send me with a note to get a pigs trotter or something from Waldrons before school and I’d dread it. I’d enter the shop and Waldron junior would be scrubbing the block. Then after a while look at my note, carry on scrubbing, look at my note again and eventually if I was lucky get what I needed within what seemed like an age, fuming as I didn’t want to be late for school. One time I recall junior who was at least 15 or more years my senior, asked if I had a cowboy hat as he was going to a fancy dress so I lent him mine. Service improved slightly after that. In later life quite by coincidence through work I Met Mr Waldron Junior who was a thoroughly nice bloke. I believe he had heart problems though and heard he’d passed years ago when he was relatively young. My father knew Mr Waldron senior very well somehow.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, lachesis said:

Where did you live? - I'm going back to late 40's/early 50's

Notintone Place and Jubilee Street Sneinton...

Ah, William Booth territory. He used to live in my village when he was a lad but our paths never crossed! There’s no known evidence of his family’s house or a blue plaque anywhere. Perhaps our local history society has some details but I don’t go to the meetings with a bunch of old f***s.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Ah, William Booth territory

Yup we had the sally army band every Sunday morning right outside the door. I don't know about a Blue plaque but his house has a Red one and there various plaques throughout the world.

I have discovered that they lived at the Old Farm House which is still there but the 10 acres they farmed is now built on. They only stayed for a few years and then returned to Sneinton. I know how they must have felt having lived in this backwater since 1962!