Arial View Of The Meadows 1927

This image shows the full extent of the eastern area of the meadows, looking north across Trent Bridge. Wilford Cresent can be seen top left, with Arkwright Street (centre) and London Road on the right. Note how the sprawling terraced houses reach right across Arkwright Street, to London Road. Bottom left of London Road, just above the end of Meadow Lane, the Alms Houses and their grounds can be seen.

NTGM006651.jpg

A very nostalgic pic. which hadn't changed a deal through to the 70s..

with slightly more detail to the lefthand side it would have shown my entire walk to school.

Notts County fc (centre right) to - meadow lane - cross London rd - past the Globe - cross Arkwright st - onto Fraser st - straight down to the bottom - turn right, et Voila! - TB !

Distance approx 1 mile (if metalwork) and 30 miles (if maths).

And behind the Almshouses on London rd. was Ryehill terrace where my grandparents used to live.

There used to be a wall seperating the almshouses from the street, and as soon as you jumped up and popped your head over the top there was always an old gal waiting to give you a verbal ! either Clear off! or gerout ovit! (they'd had a ball land in there around 1912 and hadn't really got over the event)

The side entrance to the almshouses was on Ryehill street, and on the bolted iron gate in large letters it exclamed NO HAWKERS, BEGGERS, OR DOGS! - They just loved visitors!

Arkwright school can be seen extreme right on London road.

• 4 months later...

G'day Ilkolad, B)

Apart from living on Ryehill Terrace across from the Almshouses, my family also lived at #6 Ryehill St until about 1967 ish which was practically opposite the Almshouses. The house was next to the alley way which was the back entrance to the doctors surgery. Anyway,as a child I was fascinated by the Almshouses & the big gate & I remember my mum telling me that the old man who used to live in the aforementioned place & wandered around Ryehill St aimlessly, had a metal plate in his head from the war. Poor old bu99er. The kids jumping up to have a sticky beak over the wall must have driven them nuts,but it was a magnet. In the winter on our way to Arkwright School on London Rd, when it was misty & cold, that place was very eerie.

Ciao

Caz in Oz

Hi Caz..

check out the piccy below.. Ryehill street circa 74..

I remember there was always a heavy waft of beer when walking by the Greyhound pub, and can see em now unloading barrels at the side entrance.. :P

It looks like that chap might have been a local, he ain't in no rush!.

and is that the same bike as in the R.Terrace photo by any chance? :unsure:

NTGM001543.jpg

ilko..

That in fact looks like the famous Commander Leonard "Nipper" Read, of 'The Met'

Foe of the Kray's. Who (Read) also had some connection to The Crescent Pub

in the Meadows. Ryland Crescent? (correct me if i am wrong). May have been run by his brother?

More info HERE

Nah.. its not Nipper!.. its Reg Turnpike the local bike thief..

he thought he was on to a winner when he saw the racer parked up at the side of the wall..

Its only when he spotted the photographer, he dropped into the pose of innocent bystander.. behind his back he holds an hacksaw, screwdriver, and a mallet..

as soon as the photographer looks down to reload his camera..

the bike will disappear! :o

• 5 months later...
That in fact looks like the famous Commander Leonard "Nipper" Read, of 'The Met'

Foe of the Kray's. Who (Read) also had some connection to The Crescent Pub

in the Meadows. Ryland Crescent? (correct me if i am wrong). May have been run by his brother?

More info HERE

BUMP!

Saw Nipper on the tele tonite.

Wonder if any of our newer members know the connection

between 'Nipper of the Yard' with The Crescent pub?

• 4 years later...
This image shows the full extent of the eastern area of the meadows, looking north across Trent Bridge. Wilford Cresent can be seen top left, with Arkwright Street (centre) and London Road on the right. Note how the sprawling terraced houses reach right across Arkwright Street, to London Road. Bottom left of London Road, just above the end of Meadow Lane, the Alms Houses and their grounds can be seen.

NTGM006651.jpg

eyupp ayagorawiya, how do I get the picture? All I can see is a box with a red cross inside???

Guzzgog. :huh:

Yer Right by eck!

Its linked to Picture the Past Org,

Get searchin for its new location, and we can re-link its new location

• 4 weeks later...