• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a mate with one of those great big telescopes from Jesops, he's got tired of watching the moon go round the Earth for 24 hours, so decided to call it a day.

Despite conspiracy theories I’m certain there’s sufficient evidence to confirm that the Americans visited the moon. They did try to open a pub there but it failed to attract customers because there wa

This is a song by an Australian country singer Reg Lindsay about Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon. Please have a listen and think about the words , they were true then and I think even more so t

They're footsteps Kev!!!!!

I did think thas what you mite have been getting at so i did as you suggested and enlarged it...and noticed he must have had one leg as they are all left footprints.

I told the copper that when he stopped me for speeding , driving erratically , and down the middle of the road .........."On my licence it says tear along............................"

The last moon landing had to be abandoned when an electrical fault developed in the landers ignition sytem not allowing the fuel to ignite, the on board electrician said it could not be repaired as he couldn't get an Earth

!laughing!

Rog from that great planet....Nottingham

The Americans tell us that it would be too expensive to launch another moon mission, why? they are nearly half way there already with the space station and to launch a space ship from there would require a lot less fuel (the most expensive and the most heavy part of a rocket) than it would from the earth with the gravitational pull that's involved, they tell us that the next visit will be to Mars but why not use the moon as a launch pad? less gravity equals less fuel equals smaller space ship or same size space ship with more capacity for crew or spares

Rog

Well as for the using of the Moon as a pit stop, it's the equivalent of driving from my house to Cape Town and having a pit stop at the end of my drive.!!!!

It's still a lot less fuel to carry though as opposed to breaking through the earths atmosphere and gravitational pull, but in typical yank fashion once they've been to a place they are never quite so welcome to go back again

Rog

Associated Press

2009-02-12 10:42 PM

The collision between U.S. and Russian communication satellites this week _ the first such crash in space _ has created speeding clouds of debris that threaten other unmanned spacecraft in nearby orbits, Russian officials and experts said Thursday.

The smashup 800 kilometers (500 miles) over Siberia involved a derelict Russian spacecraft designed for military communications and a U.S. Iridium satellite, which serves commercial customers as well as the U.S. Department of Defense.

NASA said it would take weeks to know the full magnitude of Tuesday's crash, but both NASA and Russia's Roscosmos said there was little risk to the international space station and its three crew members.

"There is no immediate danger, but we will carefully monitor the situation," Russian Mission Control spokesman Valery Lyndin said. He noted that the station's orbit has been adjusted in the past to dodge space debris.

The space junk also poses no threat to the space shuttle set to launch Feb. 22 with seven astronauts, U.S. officials said, though that issue will be reviewed.

The collision scattered fragments in orbits ranging from about 500 to 1,300 kilometers (about 300 miles to 800 miles) above Earth, said the chief of staff for the Russian military's Space Forces, Maj.-Gen. Alexander Yakushin.

The Iridium orbiter weighed 1,235 pounds (560 kilograms), he said, and the decommissioned Kosmos-2251 military communications craft weighed nearly a ton. The Kosmos was launched in 1993, and went out of service two years later in 1995, Yakushin said.

Both the U.S. Space Surveillance Network and Russian Space Forces are tracking the debris, believed to be traveling at speeds of around 200 meters _ or about 660 feet _ per second.

Russian space expert Igor Lisov said the debris may threaten earth-tracking and weather satellites in similar orbits, as well as a host of old Soviet-built nuclear-powered spacecraft in higher orbits.

If one of the derelict nuclear-powered satellites collides with the debris, radioactive fallout would pose no threat to Earth, Lisov said, but their speeding wreckage could multiply the hazard to other satellites.

isitsafe

Next thing you know, it'll be raining nuts and bolts and the councils won't have the right sort of grit for dealing with it, and the schhols will close, and the buses won't run and the world will end.

PS - Beefy, do you really have a pit stop at the end of your drive? Cool!

How come that Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon??

Surely, the man who took this picture of him coming down the spaceship ladder was the first??

http://www.menziesera.com/years/images/1969_landing.jpg