My Motorcycle

But they lost their shirts with H-D and American Motors! About the best thing they made were pin-setters for bowling alleys! H-D was re-purchased by Davidson, who reformed the business into a profitable organisation.

There are a lot of "urban myths" doing the rounds about the Aermacchi-HD connection. It is assumed by some people that any AMF-era H-D will still be unreliable and badly made, even though the chances are that it has been rebuilt. The general consensus now is that if AMF had not purchased H-D, then Harleys would be as much past history today as Indian are.

I take the view that many of the problems (poor build quality and reliability coupled with a lack of R&D and an ageing model line-up) were a symptom of the times, parallel to those in the American and British motor industries of that era; think British Leyland in the 70's and you'll understand where I'm coming from. Harley timed the buy-back to perfection with the advent of the "Evo" engine, which ironically has proved far more durable than the later "Twin-Cam" design.

For the record, most of the Harleys I've owned have been AMF era; logical perhaps because that's when I got into them. Not had a bad one yet, and I've still got one (the XLCH Sporty) in the garage. I don't care if they are a bit temperamental; they've got soul! :biggrin:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a Norton for y'all. http://www.youtube.com/embed/iKqpvriKZuA

Hi again ok my first bike in 1963 was a B.S.A bantam 125 did 55mph downhill with a following wind! then a enfiel bullet, triumph 21 , tiger 100, B.S.A shooting star, B.S.A goldie, Tiger cub, Tiger

Hi Ashley

Walking into Beeston this morning who should we bump into John Greenfield and his wife Elaine, Re - your photo on the 10th Feb. Have told him about the forum. He has still got a couple of bikes one of which is a Harley. He went down to the White Hart last week.

Val

Hi Ashley

No didn't go to the White Hart but did know a few lads that had motorbikes - Alan Watson, Malc Warrington, Ron Buckley, Stu Spenlove, do you know any of them. My boyfriend at the time(now my husband) couldn't afford a motorbike only a Lambretta.

Val

Crash's! Nothing serious, ran out of road on 250 AJS on way to skeg and fell off, clip on trapped thumb against tank, best of it was about half hour before a car had done same, it was upside down in a dyke and police and ambulance crews watched me crash! luckily fell off before the dyke, ran into a kid once but didn't fall off, landed on a car roof after the prat did 3 point turn in front of me, just shook up, ran into roadworks after night in log cabin, on 500cc Norton with push bike lights! no helmets, I cut my head on 8ft high pile of chippings girlfriend cleared it but actually went head first down open manhole other side! I kid you not, 6" either way she'd have hit rim of chamber, got her out ok, no injuries but covered in ****! slid off same norton going round dunkirk island in rain , gravel rash etc, gave away 500cc norton! came off back of 500cc matchless actually in grounds of mapperley hosp! no, not a patient! working there, mate skidded on wet leaves, kept in general overnight observation, on pillion again another mate ran into parked lorry I landed in back of such hitting knee on tailgate on the way, gave up riding pillion! have suffered ever since, not just knee problem but next day had agree'd to meet ex, am sure I'd have got back with her but couldn't make it, boo hoo, F******** motorbikes!

• 1 month later...

In chronological order:

Tiger Cub 200

Franny Barnet 225

Norton Dommi 99 cafe racer style (bought from Les Wilkinson's place on Union Road?)

BSA Bantam 125

Norton Commando 750.

Nice to be reminded of the White Hart, used to go there quite a bit.

We also used to go to some youth club in Beeston where they had groups on regularly. Anyone remember this?

Any of you bikers recall the 41 club? they used to meet at the Pelican pub in Bilborough, also a guy called 'Beau', he rode a Norton Dominator?? and also Mick Pinder, no bike but very flash leather jacket!!! Both used to frequent the Aspley boys club behind the church on Aspley lane............

would that be bolsteridge or similar name? used to live on heathfield and later western boulevard? re aspley lane youth club, was that at church corner of melbourne rd? yours truely went through fence outside there one night doing a "demo"!

Mary and I went to the Ace Cafe in London on the Saturday we arrived! What a great place - and even on a day with not much going on, there were about 200 bikes in the lot!

Now I need to figure out a way to beg, steal or borrow a bike next time we are over there!

They used to run The Robin Hood Rally, went on a few, others Ive been to are the Aegir, The Seven, Goose Fair, Stag (3 times) Heather, Peak, Heart of England, Clover, and of course The Dragon, others too who's names I can't recall

Ashley,

The church club was behind the church between Melbourne Road & Amersham Rise..........There was also a Scooter(Lambrettas/vespas etc) club called 'The Outlaws'....................not many members ! recall!!! !englandflag!