My Motorcycle

Ashley, Yeah, same one, the entrance was at the side of the newsagents on Aspley lane, 77 club were there...............that's where I remember Mick Pinder, Mick Simpson (Simmo) and Beau................ !englandflag!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a Norton for y'all. http://www.youtube.com/embed/iKqpvriKZuA

Hi again ok my first bike in 1963 was a B.S.A bantam 125 did 55mph downhill with a following wind! then a enfiel bullet, triumph 21 , tiger 100, B.S.A shooting star, B.S.A goldie, Tiger cub, Tiger

• 6 months later...

For all the old Rockers/Bikers there is a get together on 11th December at the Rose and Crown Derby road. Mick from Micks dead loss disco would like to meet old friends from White Hart, Carlton hotel,Cavendish,Grey Goose etc. Organizer is Barbara Piggot.

Hmmm.... The name Piggot rings a bell somehow! Anything to do with motorcycle stores in the area?

By the way, I sold my W650 (Triumph clone) and bought a 2000 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000) - know to you lot as a GTR1000 - great sport-touring bike!

Hmmm.... The name Piggot rings a bell somehow! Anything to do with motorcycle stores in the area?

By the way, I sold my W650 (Triumph clone) and bought a 2000 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000) - know to you lot as a GTR1000 - great sport-touring bike!

Are you thinking of PIDCOCK motorcycle shops by any chance Eric?

Frank - you are da man! Yep, Pidcock is the name I was thinking of. I believe they are still in the business?

Certainly are Eric. They also took over / bought out the scooter seller on Radford Road (can't remember the name) a number of years ago. Bought my Lambretta175 from there many moons ago ;)

They are big around these parts too with two show rooms plus workshops, one on Acton road and the other on Tamworth road…the showroom come workshop on Acton road is the main MOT centre, you can see owners on most days outside weather permitting sitting at the designated table and chairs waiting for their beloved motor bikes to have their annual health check or if weather isn’t congenial with sitting outside they can be seen eyeing up the over priced badge BMW goodies.

Bip.

...They also took over / bought out the scooter seller on Radford Road (can't remember the name)...

Joselyns...

Another big bike/scooter dealer, around Nottingham and Ilko, is/was Glovers...

Created by Jack Glover, who came from Wollaton Vale.

Cheers

Bockscar

Joselyns was owned by the Gregory family.

Son Colin later opened a bike shop at the Thackeray's Lane/Mansfield Road junction, opposite The Vale pub.

Cheers

Bockscar...

I think it was Jeff Pidcock that worked in the dealer on Tamworth Road when it was across the road from its current location. He left there and opened a store in Derby IIRC. I think the store on Tamworth Road was "Butlers" - who also had a place on College Street that only sold Bicycles - and was where my Raleigh Boulevard Tourist was purchased!

The Vespa dealer in Nottingham was down Arkwright Street - on the left side as you were going south. No idea what the name was. I think there was another scooter place on Alfreton Road - but that may have been the aforementioned Jocelyns.

I think there was another scooter place on Alfreton Road - but that may have been the aforementioned Jocelyns.

Horace Rogers...who was my Godfather.

His first wife murdered their two young children, before taking her own life.

Began as a bicycle dealer, then evolved into scooters and motorbikes.

Cheers

Bockscar...

It may well have been Blacknell's - I know it wasn't Kingstons as I remember their location very well - a friend of mine from Ilko worked there for a while. I remember seeing the first Kawasaki Mach-III's in there and being in total awe!

I do seem to remember that you went upstairs to the parts department.

Horace Rogers...who was my Godfather.

His first wife murdered their two young children, before taking her own life.

Began as a bicycle dealer, then evolved into scooters and motorbikes.

Cheers

Bockscar...

I knew Horace when he was running Lowater Street, and used to meet him regularly after he retired, at VMCC events when he used to turn up with that lovely old Morgan 3-wheeler. Nice bloke and a real character, didn't know about his early tragedy.

Another one which is still AFAIK going is Dawsons in Netherfield, although it was owned by the bike breakers in Netherfield whose name now escapes me. Bill, the guy who worked there, was an old mate of mine from the Gedling Miners days.

Yes Rog, I remember the dealers being at the back part of the picture house opposite Boots Shop.

I remember also looking in the windows to see a gleaming Lambretta SX200. That would be around 68-69.

Far out of my price range then, and if any still exist today probably the same applies.

I might be wrong but am sure it was DENNIS Rogers who had Lowater Street and the Morgans, couple of my mates went with him to The Elephant Rally in Germany, his son raced an outfit in the IOM,latter still has a garage near Trent Lane with the rally badges and race photos on the walls.

Horace Rogers shop (1960's) was on Alfreton Rd, Dave Needham's dad was fitter there before opening his own shop, My uncle Clarence used to race grass track with Horace in 1920/30's, also on the "Gregory Boulevard Sprint"

Dennis did indeed have the garage on Lowater street , (and the Morgan) Paul was the son who raced in the IOM tt , I knew him very well (Went round Cadwell as his out rider once , and once only , thank god)

The last I saw of Paul was in a unit on Little Tennis Street , just off Trent Lane as you said Ashley.

There was also a place off London Road - east of the canal, that sold WWII surplus Triumphs relatively cheap. I still couldn't afford one - but went to look at them a couple of times.

Could have been - they were definately Triumph sidevalve twins, and I think they were 500cc but I don't remember the model designation. I seem to remember they were painted olive drab - all over! It would have been around 1968.

Doubt if anchor surplus back then, Dawsons on Shakespeare St sold some ex WD bikes, used to be kept on the roof! sounds like a TRW ex RAF model, think the engines also used in fire pumps and rumoured to have been been adapted to spin the dam busters bouncing bomb? (I did say rumoured)