Bonus payments to Bankers

Is anyone out there feeling just a little bit unhappy about the proposed payment of millions (billions ?) of pounds in bonuses to our beloved Bank Executives.

If so you might like to know that there is a newly launched online petition that you can sign, and add suitable comments if you wish.

It already contains over 10,000 signatures, including mine.

Just visit http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/giveupthebonus/index.html

Yup, done it!

Just had a letter from a bank saying:

".....due to the cost of borrowing going up, they are increasing their lending rates."

- eh?

I thought the cost of borrowing had fallen to the lowest on record, and they are giving investors a bum deal.

:angry2:

If we get an apology from the RBS & HBOS today as promised it won't mean a bean.

If it's any consolation, it's not much better over here with the banks. On the national news last night, they showed a huge banking meeting in Las Vegas. It's being held at The Venetian hotel, the world's largest 5 star resort. These same banks had a 35 billion loan recently from the government because they are in financial trouble. Go figure.

It's not as if I like a lot of people depend on the interest accrued on my money in the bank but it would be nice if I had some interest every month.

I am seriously considering taking what little I do have out and putting it in my own safe, also one of Ernie’s cheques hasn’t paid me a visit for over two months now.

If the government doesn’t stop these greedy sods from giving them selves bonus’s I will definitely be taking my money out.

Bip.

What Katy said - except that it was not $35 billion - it was $350 billion and today they are getting another $350 billion. At least this time there are restrictions on executive pay and bonus payments, but where did the original $350 billion go?

We are trying to buy a condo in Florida - and easily qualify for the mortgage amount we want. We have great credit, good jobs, and qualify on ONE income alone BUT nobody will actually lend us the money - not even to buy the condo from a bank! It makes no sense at all!

I have had an overdraft running around the £300 mark , for that I have been paying around £3.50p a month in charges , not too bad I hear you say, I deposit a very large cheque a month ago , result? bank charges this month of £2.50p. I ring up and ask them how come? to be told that ,As I started the month overdrawn I get charged for the whole month!!!!

Can't wait till next month to see how much intest I get (If any )

Hope you've added your signature and comments to the petition then. Numbers just approaching 12,000 as I watch and seem to be rolling in at a rate of eight or ten a minute!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/giveupthebonus/

Just seen the interest on my savings account (which we rely on as a supplement to our pension) plummett from £98 a few months ago to just £28 this month and with a further cut in the pipeline!

Perhaps the Bankers might like to take a 75% or 80% drop in their salary in lieu of the bonus, but cannot see it happening unless it's forced upon them.

From the Times Online:

HBOS sacked and gagged a senior executive who warned the board of the bank four years ago that they were taking excessive risks, according to evidence announced in Parliament this morning.

MPs on the Treasury Select Committee today gave details of a submission from the former head of risk at HBOS who claimed that he warned the board they were taking risks with financial stability and consumer protection.

According to George Mudie MP, the board of HBOS sacked Paul Moore, who then took his employers to an industrial tribunal and won the case.

Mr Mudie said that according to a submission received by the committee from Mr Moore, the head of regulatory risk at the bank between 2002 and 2004, he was replaced by someone with no risk experience.

Lord Stevenson, a former HBOS chairman, played down the affair. "I remember the incident very well. It was taken very seriously by the board," he said.

Clearly, not seriously enough!

• 11 years later...