For all you bullwellites, does anyone recall an old school house there? Some old family friends used to have this old school house, converted for living sometime in late 70's, poss early 80s.... it was haunted... this was told by young toddlers at the time. They left Nottingham and lost touch years ago and I cannot remember where it was exactly but believe it may have been knocked down.... any memories anyone???

Also may well have been on a main road????

If you look around on some of these forums here...Mainly the railway ones...you can find old maps of bulwell and Basford...they might help you...( i went to Henry Mellish )...there seem to be many schools around that area on some of the maps.

are you confusing the old gate house at the corner of the highbury hospital entrance , across the road from the entrance to henry mellish school

Don't think that was it.... the 'school house'(which I am sure it was) .... if it was this gatehouse is that still there and what did it look like?

the building i am talking about was on highbury road , but i dont think it was a school house . more like a gate house . it was built of bulwell stone. on the other corner is an electricity sub station which is still there and ajacent to that is basford registry office

If this was it when did it get pulled down? One of the children that lived in it was at the time only just out of nappies and would talk about a green lady.... her mother only saw this 'spirit' once... but was aware of sudden cold spots in the house that came from nowhere!!! Her husband was a brickie/ builder at the time and I think he did it up... but I really thought that this 'building' was past the 'bogs' on the left, turning right further up... I believe towards Hucknall, but maybe I am confused as it was many years ago!!!

• 2 months later...
For all you bullwellites, does anyone recall an old school house there? Some old family friends used to have this old school house, converted for living sometime in late 70's, poss early 80s.... it was haunted... this was told by young toddlers at the time. They left Nottingham and lost touch years ago and I cannot remember where it was exactly but believe it may have been knocked down.... any memories anyone???

Also may well have been on a main road????

The old school house, (known as Strelley House), dates from the mid 1600's and is situated at the junction of Commercial Road/Strelley Street.It is also famous for it's (delapidated) dovecote.

[Thanks Terry, yes I think that that house was the one... I say 'think' as it was30 odd years ago! I looked at it through google street view and it looks like it has had an extension, which I'm sure wasn't there when old family friends had it. To be honest the old 'garages' at the side I remember more! Wonder if its still haunted???

[Thanks Terry, yes I think that that house was the one... I say 'think' as it was30 odd years ago! I looked at it through google street view and it looks like it has had an extension, which I'm sure wasn't there when old family friends had it. To be honest the old 'garages' at the side I remember more! Wonder if its still haunted???

Type in "Strelley House, Bulwell Nottingham". The page reveals a detailed account of the history of the house. On the same page, details of the old Bulwell Hall can be found, quite an impressive building in it's heyday, but little more than a riun when we used to explore it as kids.