Has your driving licence expired.

_40804_lice.jpg

If you thought these lasted for life your WRONG!

Look on the front of the card small writing section 4b there is a date.

Thats the expiry date!

Never told you that did they?

I have one of the new ones with the black and white headshot.

I applied for it when I moved house so as my new address could be up to date also if one moves addresses there’s no charge…did you know that?

Bip.

ps, can you (women esp) get a new style licence without DoB on it? I know you could the old style, not that it matters, your date of birth is part of your driving licence number, (5) on the example, more than one who didn't give true age has come unstuck when stopped by police

When you move house and get the new licence (From old green thing to new photo card, as I did) Thats free.

But they don't take off your old points ,even expired ones (IE over 4 years old!!) you have to pay for that . Crafty b45t4rd5

I have been going through a phase (Or call it a game) with the police for the past 15/20 years.

They wait till I nearly have a clean licence , and then I get 6 points within weeks of each other. I'm clean at the moment but only because I have not been out driving every hour of the day, to make a crust, for the last 3 1/2 years. (I have my fingers crossed at the moment. cos I have a few miles to drive in uncharted waters (so to speak) in the next few days!!

The dates on the front of the licence are the dates the photograph is valid from, and the date at 4b is the date when the photograph has to be renewed. Though that doesn't appear to be the case when looking at the notes on the reverse. Believe that the photo has to be renewed every ten years.

The actual expiry date of the licence is shown in the table on the reverse side, and does have to be specifically renewed at age 70.

It's explained in a leaflet they sent with my licence. (Hope I've got it right!)

I'm looking at the DVLA leaflet reference INF45/1 - sent to me with my licence

This states:-

Date of Licence issue, photo expiry, issuing Authority

"The date shown in 4a is the date the photograph is valid from. 4b shows the date the photograph must be renewed. The authority that issued the licence is shown in 4c. In GB that is DVLA"

On the reverse of my licence there is a date (7/1/11) shown in column 11, and this is the date my licence expires. My photo expiry date is in May this year, and I can only assume that they will me send a reminder to ask for a new photo.

OK - I swear this is a true story!

I went down to the local police station, to report an online scam for which I had the fake cheque and everything.

Anyway, there was a lady in front of me who wanted to arrange to pay a speeding fine, but she had a problem, she had a European licence and the desk manager (they don't use real policemen any more apparently) wasn't having any of it. He told her that not only couldn't she use the licence to pay the fine, she couldn't carry on driving with it! 'But, it's A European licence and we're in Europe' she said. Thsi all went back and forth for ages and, feeling sorry for her, I said that I thought European licences were valid in the UK as we are in the EU too. I had no idea if it were true, but it did lead to a check - and sure enough, our man found a ledger with all the valid licences in it and there it was - valid as you like - a European licence.

But, our man wasn't about to be defeated. He agreed that she could carry on driving, but insisted that her European licence still wasn't valid when it came to paying fines and such in the UK and he advised her - regardless of the law - to go out and get herself a proper licence so that she wouldn't have trouble in the future!

Oh - and by the way - she was a Nottingham lass who only had the licence becasue her British one had expired while she was working in Germany and she thought it would be a good idea to renew while she was there!

Ah yes - the fake cheque - becasue I hadn't tried to cash it no crime had been committed but if I did try to cash it, then it would be a crime - my crime becasue I knew it to be a 'false instrument' - not the crime of the guy who sent it to me!

Please someone, bring back the good old-fashioned British Bobby!