O.K. you computer fans out there.

I am after a laptop, one that I can down load my photos to whilst on the road, so to speak, and that I can then send on ,either to my home computer, or to another source. Therefore internet access is a necessity, as is the ability to edit/enhance pictures.

Any ideas please ladies and gentlemen?

just recently had a new sony vaio and both my wife and i say its one of the best things we,ve ever bought, on the road though? would definately look at an in car power source the batteries still only give about an hour before you get warnings to recharge

Cheers all

I'll look at that Dell stuff (My system is Dell now so I may as well keep the same!!) Just one question . How do you connect to the internet from the middle of nowhere? or do you have to be near a place with Wi Fi connectivity??

How do you connect to the internet from the middle of nowhere? or do you have to be near a place with Wi Fi connectivity??

You have to get mobile broadband. About £13/month.

WiFi still needs to be paid for if you try to connect to a local access point (as in Motorway Service areas) Not very often you can connect for free (except in the middle of London)

I have used a Dell laptop for about eighteen months now. I have been VERY satisfied with it.

Has plenty of HD space and battery life seems to be about two hours on a full charge. Sufficient memory 1 gig and processor speed to edit movies.

Only use wifi at home so have no experience with logging on anywhere else.

As Frank said, mobile broadband would be an extra expense. Have heard of folks connecting through their cell phones but it is unreliable and probably slow if you have been used to full speed broadband.

I would definitely buy another Dell.

Hope you find a good deal.

Dave

Cheers Dave

I am in no way not going to buy another Dell

The only downside (And people don't think it's racist) is that you talk to a help service in Mumbai, who are not always as fast with their english as we are (So to speak)

In the end, after checking out the options, I always come back to Dell. Maybe not the cheapest and maybe not the best but overall the least worry. I think maybe over the last ten years or so I've had three Dell machines and maybe made two phone calls for help.

As for the good folks in Mumbai - seems to me that most help-desks are out there these days, so it's a neutral factor.

Beefsteak, I'd only go for mobile broadband if you find yourself in areas without wi-fi. A lot of places, especially cafes and bars, offer it for free - there's even a launderette in the city centre that does!

All you need to do is right click on the connection icon and tell the laptop to search for a connection, find the free one and click connect. Only spend money if you have to.

re post 10.

Hi Beefy.

I have always tried to stay away from any phone in tech support. They all seem to be in some far off Eastern land with a rather poor command of the English language.

I wouldn't push Dell, because if you bought one on my recommendation and it turned out to be a load of trash I would feel real bad. !inthebin!

Just quoting my own good experience. I guess we all get to like our favorite brands. With me its always been Ford, but I know some folks wouldn't be caught dead driving one.

I have a son in law who writes software for a living so he has usually been able to help me out when things get a bit too iffy.

Dave

Could be! !rotfl!

To tell you the truth I've never opened a laptop screen up to see what's inside. I suppose its safe to assume that by the time the screen goes AWOL the rest of the system is obsolete anyway so not worth the cost and aggravation of repairing.