I went to Bottesford airfield some years ago now and thought I saw something similar to the arrestor gear but wasn't sure what it was back then, thanks for posting that Chulla,

I remember going into one of the nissen huts on site not far from what looked like an old crash gate, at one end of the hut was some paintings on the brick wall probably from the war,was the Canadians based there or was it the Poles?,I wish I had taken some pictures of them now,I did get some pics of the huts though but can't find them anywhere,that must have been back in the early 80's,the last time I was over there the place had all been fenced off with security wire,don't know if they had any of that gear at RAF Wigsley not far from home,I'll have a look next time I'm over there,I know a lot of the place has been turned over to farmland so will see,there might have been some at Swinderby which is only a couple of miles from home and the next time I go over there I will have a good look round,it's now one of our quarry sites so I won't be trespassing

Rog

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this link should show you the one in the field next to the junction of Nottingham Road/Bank Hill and Mapperley Plains. It's at the very top on the left as you emerge onto Mapperley Plains. h

Hi, carrying on the theme of desperate innovations in the defence of our island’s security and when you may have thought that nothing could be less inviting than resisting the enemy whilst being encas

Hi Jane. If you're around Cambs are you aware of the reinforced main street through Cambridge. After Dunkirk we were reduced to more or less one small tank division positioned south of London. It was

Hi TBI, Thanks for the 'heads up' about the brick structure at Stoke Bardolph locks - I explored a few areas around Nottingham today and checked out the lock as well. There is a brick built structure there in the trees but I think that judging by shape and dimensions it resembles a home guard store, sadly not a pillbox. Still the walk was pleasant.

Jan

Hi Firbeck, I originally hail from Peterborough but have been a bit of a nomad during my 26 years in the army. I have however returned and have been settled here for the past 20 years. As you can see I am no spring chicken. My interest in home defences brought me to this site because of your post on the Allan Williams Turret and my wish to make contact with you. Thanks for confirming that the AWT at Finchingfield is still about - can you steer me as to where precisely in the village I could find this chap/custodian. The AWT has become my passion (project) and I am trying to track down as many as possible purely for my own interest and would appreciate your help.

I have been to Sywell and have seen the AWT on display there; and gather they had two originally but sadly sold one off to the Wheatcroft Collection which means there is no chance we'll ever see that one again.

Regards

Jan

Happy New Year to you all,
Visited a few sites in Notts a few days ago and thought I might share them with you piecemeal. The first is a DFW 3/22 located at Morley's Barn Farm near Gotham (sadly didn't see the caped crusader). It is a fairly common six sided pillbox shuttered in brick with a concrete core reinforced with steel rod and as you can see in the picture, other bits of scrap metal. This variant has a square brick built pillar in the centre whereas more usually there would have been a 'Y' shaped anti-ricochet wall of brick or concrete.

Notts%200011_zpsdlvnccsw.jpg

Note damage to roof slab and projecting scrap iron

Notts%200011a_zpsiptagjtl.jpg

Better view of the materiel used in reinforcing the concrete core and slab roof

Notts%200011b_zpsydmtsdqo.jpg

Internal view - note brick pillar on left, half height entrance with flanking pistol loops; and one of the embrasures (on right) with concrete shelf.