Soul Man...Sam and Dave

Think some of the others mentioned on here were released on the Atlantic label in this country..I know cos I have them on vinyl..maybe they were on Stax in the USA.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Only just spotted this! Afaia, Atlantic handled Stax releases up until a certain date, at which time, all the Stax stuff thru Atlantic, came out on blue Stax

Only just spotted this! Afaia, Atlantic handled Stax releases up until a certain date, at which time, all the Stax stuff thru Atlantic, came out on blue Stax

Then of course when things started to go pear shaped, CBS came into the mix.

Whatever Hurts You - Mad Lads a great track. Also anything by Jeanne & The Darlings.

Cheers Steve.

In the 70's On Maid Marion way near Friar lane was a Company called ATCO (finance?) with a similar motif.

Is it the same company?

• 3 years later...

Fridays looking good !

9 pm BBC 4 first showing of an Otis documentary and then the live Stax /Volt Revue from 1967 Concert in Norway .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2013/05/31

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently downloaded a Stax collection and I reckon they had the best Soul artists, never realised they were all on Stax.

Stax was legendary.

Some fantastic stuff on their label.

Atlantic did a lot of stuff at Stax studios in Memphis using Booker T and the MG's who were pretty much the house band.

Apparently Wison Pickett caused so much friction at Stax, they stopped doing anymore recordings for Atlantic (who then went to Muscle Shoals in Alabama).

Amazing really that a small company formed by 2 people operating out of a garage in Memphis - using local musicians, developed into a legendary sound. The later Stax studio was an old movie theatre.

Elvis Presley did 3 albums there.

Even the artwork became iconic. The 'Stax of Wax' logo and the finger-snapping hand.

You may like Reginald D Hunters series on BBC called Songs of the South .

Should be an interview in the 3rd episode with Steve Cropper , guitarist with Booker T and the MGs and Eddie Floyd and a visit to the Stax studio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02j959j/reginald-d-hunters-songs-of-the-south-3-mississippi-and-louisiana

• Upvote 1