shoe shops on clumber street

Not sure if this has been covered before but wasn't there a lot of shoe shops on clumber street 1970s? Don't think many are there anymore.... can anyone remember this and which ones?Also where was the wimpey on this street in 1970s - when it was a proper table service? Am I confusing this 'wimpey' with another eaterie..... my husband (a londoner) cannot remember wimpeys being any different from the one that is still in the broad marsh.... I thought that the 'wimpey' I remember had waitresses in proper black and white uniforms and proper tables not moulded plastic???? Anyone know?

Hi Maria, I remember more shoe shops being on Long Row, than Clumber St. There were a few on there though, but can't remember their names. I remember a Wimpey bar at the bottom of Exchange Walk, I think. [early 60's] Definitely one as you went down towards C & A somewhere along there. The only place I remember waitresses in black and white uniforms was Lyons cafe on Long Row.

Kath

I think maybe they wore aprons - but I don't remember black uniforms.............

Maybe that was the case - always remember a chocolate nut sundae in there served in a metal sundae dish - you may laugh,but it was a treat!

Not laughing - it was a treat! I also had a thing for their banana milk shakes plus which I still think real tommy sauce comes out of a red, plastic tomato!

My god, I'd forgotten about the milkshakes (reckon I had chocolate) and the plastic tomato for the sauce.... Am I right... was it proper table service and nothing like todays wimpeys? Incidently where I am now, although we have the usual mcdonalds - self serv and food courts... at least any coffee shop you go into there is proper table service, with nice crockery etc and not the usual queue with your tray and pay before you've drunk it! Yes there are the costa coffees and starbucks etc but even there its brought to your table!!!

I remember Dolcis...great place to buy clogs...and was i think the only shoe shop that put 'pairs' of shoes outside on their rack.. ( tempting at the time..but never took any )...i remember leaving a really old pair of well knackered plimmies on their rack outside after buying a new pair,,,wonder if anyone bought them ?

I remember Dolcis...great place to buy clogs...and was i think the only shoe shop that put 'pairs' of shoes outside on their rack.. ( tempting at the time..but never took any )...i remember leaving a really old pair of well knackered plimmies on their rack outside after buying a new pair,,,wonder if anyone bought them ?

Peter lords - 'clarks' has been there since the 1970 Have I read right has dolcis gone through?'s... is it still there now?

Seeing the chocolate nut sundae, reminded me of having a knickerbocker glory. When I was a teen, it was the ultimate dessert to have in a cafe.

Yeah - I liked them too and banana splits.....I know people slate them but I remember Berni Inns as a child and whenever we used to go I would love going (not that often) I was always allowed a martini and lemonade (possibly only 12 at the time - liberal parents) can you imagine that happening now????? Prawn cocktail to start and then steak and chips! Have moved on from this culinary delight I have to say!!!!! When you think what totally rubbish pub chain food there is now... or is it me?

Still, here a 3 course meal will set you back at least 70 quid a head and thats not even with a whiff of alcohol ... add that on and you need a bank loan!