Radford Ramblings

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

:biggrin: Hi Jon and welcome to 'Nottstalgia'.

I had a great Aunt Nell who lived on Forster Street back in the 50's. She had lots of daughters: one called Rose, one called Bette, one called 'what's yer name?', etc (get the gist?); two of her girls married GI's and departed to America after World War II.

I recall Aunt Nell living almost immediately across the road from a funeral parlour situated in the front room of a terraced house; it scared the life out of me when I was a kid to think that the undertaker was sharing their house with departed souls! :ohmy:

PS: remembered the surname was 'Picker' - quite appropriate for the girl named Rose, don't you think? :cool:

• Upvote 1

Although born at the City Hospital,my parents 1st home was on Middleton St.,Radford, until sometime after moved to Elm Grove St. Anns. My father was away for the first 6 years of their marriage in the army. Goodness knows how those young women coped.

I hope you can see how angry I get as the country our parents fought and died for is just handed over to all and sundry.

• Upvote 2

I went to Forster St School from 1953 to 1956 and remember a shop around the corner in Denman St called "Cheethams". You could buy a big bag of sweets for threepence.

Back then you could still buy things for a farthing. I also remember Charnel's off license. Mr. Charnel had a daughter called Judy.

A few years later I had a mate called Alan Baines who worked at Johnsons menswear shop in Denman Street.