Radford Ramblings

Radford Rambling P1

Hi Nottstalgia what a great site for remembering things about Nottingham and in particular Radford. I was born at 16 Forster Grove, Radford in October 1944 and lived there for 19 Years before moving to Gedling then Bramcote then Wollaton before moving to Western Australia in 1988.

I visited the web site picturethepast and was amazed to find a picture No:NTGM000723, of Forster Grove, (amazing that someone would take a photo of it) the house was a 2up 2 down shoe box with no bathroom, no hot water and an outside toilet, we had a tin bath hanging on the wall in the back yard, we used to take it off the wall and bring it into the kitchen, boil some water on the gas stove and pour it in the tub, afterwards you had to drag the bath to the back door and tip the water out all over the back yard (kids don’t know how lucky they are today)

On the corner of Forster Street and Denman Street was Andersons Pawn Shop (also found picture of it at picturethepast,) the things that pawn shop had for sale that had not been reclaimed such as men’s suits and shoes all hanging outside !. On the other corner of Forster Street and Clapham Street was Charnels’ Beer off, when I was a kid me mam would give me 2d or 3d to buy some Sherbet which Mr. Charnel would get from large glass jars as it was sold loose, he would get a peace of paper and roll it into a funnel and pore in the sherbet I also used to buy licorice which I think was made locally, and you could also take an empty beer bottle in and get it filled with shipo’s beer, Mr. Charnel also used to keep a tab for people who could not pay till the end of the week.

Welcome daveunval from western Australia have a good time here cobber we all do or try to.

from one of the moderating team....Bip.

Welcome from me an'all. I used to work in the Raleigh offices with a blonde girl from Forster St [or maybe Grove], in the early 60's. She'd have been born around '46, so you might have known her. Trouble is I can't think of her name for the life of me. I remember most of the girls in my office, but have been trying to remember her name for years now. Old age is a bu99er! Any road up, welcome and keep posting.

Kath

Radford Rambling P2

Hi Charlie yes that was the multicolor sherbet and to answer Beefsteak Val is my wife’s name. So here is a bit more rambling. Went to Forster Street Infants school then the Juniors school and onto Radford Boulevard school, also attended Radford Methodist Church on Forster Street for Sunday School (again found photos for both NTGM012156, NGTM011400 at picturethepast).There used to be a small Bakery (cant remember the name though) on Forster Street near the Ilkeston Road end, in the morning on way to Radford Boulevard School I would purchase a small round loaf from the baker for around 4d and before going into school I would eat the hot middle leaving only the crust which I would save for dinner when I would fill it with chips from the chip shop on Ilkeston Road, Does anyone remember the corner in the school yard at Radford Boulevard School where they used to bang the chalk board rubbers on the wall to remove the chalk from them ?? and the bike shed for a quick smoke if someone had a Woodbine, this was when the shops used to sell them separately, felt real grown up (how stupid).

Radford Rambling P3

Hi Mariag regarding the Undertakers on Forster Street I remember the Undertakers which I think was opposite Bramcote Street but sorry do not know the Hughes family

Continuing with my rambling and I promise this will be the last entry. There used to be a Coal Yard on Dulwich Road at the Denman Street end and in the photo you can see the gates on the left next to the shop (see photo: NTGM000432 at picturethepast) you could borrow a wheel barrow to take the coal home in and also on Dulwich Road was Toons Factory also on the left, I think they made Plywood sheets or something I used to go round and pick scrap wood for the fire before we got all modern and had a gas fire put in.

Had forgot about the warm tobacco smell from Players vents on Churchfield Lane until one of your other contributors mentioned it.

Used to visit Radford Baths and remember the small changing cubicles around the sides of the swimming pool, learnt to swim there, first time I went I jumped in the deep end and had to be rescued from the bottom of the pool.

The fish and chip shop near the top of Denman Street had an open front (think it was Skills) Great chips, me mam used to send me up on me Raleigh bike to get fish and chips and 2 fritters on way back in thick fog fell of my bike on Radford Boulevard and dropped all the chips, no damage to me or the bike.

Around the age of 12-13 I was sent to the Patricia Low School of Dancing, on corner of Lower Parliament Street and Broad Street it was the top floor above Coombs Shoe repairs to learn ballroom dancing, my teachers being Doris and Ken Brown and I did not like it much but you got to dance up-close with girl and they had a Rock n Roll night each Saturday so I kept going.

In my early teens went into Nottingham on a No58 bus or would walk up to Ilkeston Road and get a No39 trolleybus and would go in the Salutation or the Trip pub for a cheese and onion cob a packet of Smith’s crisps and a pint of my favorite ruddles beer.

I see one of your members has written a very interesting article about Chick Zamick, in the late 50s went to an ice hockey match with my uncle Dennis at the old stadium and Chick gave me his ice hockey stick that he had just broken, I kept that broken stick for years.

Anyway thanks for reading this and now I will let someone else have a go. Regards to all

Yes, dave and val, glad someone can remember the undertakers (my great grandparents)... Bramcote street at the time had a large house called Bramcote house - this was used as a home for nurses and midwives before its demise (actually on picture the past) my grandmothers sister was a midwife and lived there until she died of cancer in her 30s or 40s. What a shame that this house was pulled down when you think what has been put up in its place - Modern housing!!!! Whoever devised that lot of architectual rows of houses that is there now wants shooting!

• 3 years later...

Well done Radfordred, this photo must have been taken from across the road on Forster Street and its great to see old photos of Radford, lets hope more can be found. We have lived in Australia since 1988 but look at Radford and Nottingham on Google maps street view and You Tube with fond memories , although Radford seems to have gone downhill since the 1990s, but that is only my opinion.

Also this may not be the correct place to ask but can the Administrator please remove the Clifton comments ???????????????

I am new to this site,still trying to find my way around it, i lived on Kirkstead st in Hyson Green from 1958 to 1963 went to bentinct secondary school, before that I lived on Lily street in St Anns. i have lived in Canada since 1977 came as a nanny,then met my hubby here. stil have family in Nottingham,I still get homesick after all these years.try and get home every 3 or 4 years,lots of changes,not much of kirkstead st left,none of lily st,even the bottom rec on sycomore road has changed,by the way my maidien name was Smith.is there any photos on this site.

Both my mother's parents were born on Gate Street Radford Woodhouse in 1887.

I don,t know where my father's parents were born.(grandfather born 1900)

My mother was born on Guthrie Street in August 1929 but moved to Middleton Street when she was three months old.

My father was born on Dulwich Street in 1926(d1992).

Mother & Father were married in 1948 & I was born in 1949 & lived in Carlton & Gedling till 1967.

:hand: Hi there Nottsgirl, so pleased to welcome another female member - to boost our numbers against the glut of fellas posting (all helpful chaps I might add).

Reads like you have an interesting history. I worked as a 'Saturday Girl' at Farrands on 'The Green' during the early 60's; such a colourful place back then, with its variety of shops was Hyson Green.

I note that you left to work as a nanny in Canada, sounds like you have the wonderful gift of a pioneering spirit.

Hope you continue posting. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Try on here there are thousands of photos of old Nottingham.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

Hi Poohbear

What a great video of your dogs playing in the snow, they look like they are having a good time.