Another Nottingham Tunnel

what a fabulous map.

See how Derby Road comes straight off Market Square. No sign of Maid marion Way and Park Row goes straight upto the hospital.

The Albert Hall is there though

Talkin of Tunnels, Mick McCardle (cellar man at the Hippo) used to reckon that if you went into the catacombs fom the Hippo's cellar, you could work your way down to the Trip - Dunno if it was true and didn't want to spend years lost in there trying to find out. But, are they really so widespread?

The roads are still same today (with exception of maid marion way and demolition etc needed for such) I remember Derby Rd when it was 2 way between Canning Circus and Parliament St, (once saw 2 lads on motorbike going towards town overtake a trolley bus then because another coming up and no room go wrong side of that bus next to pavement! crazy) There used to be a small island where Parliament st joined. To me interesting bits are how little tram lines there were, just Derby Rd towards Hyson Green and Market Street/Parliament St, on the latter where the lines parted as late as 1950's? there used to be a copper dressed in white I seem to recall stood on raised platform like big wooden box in middle of road directing traffic all day in rain sleet snow etc! also at Canning Circus the "side roads" are marked to Stapleford (no Borrowash bypass to Derby then) and Ilkeston and what was the "friends burial ground"? going off topic a bit here but once saw (couldn't find again, 30 years ago) a grave stone or similar in big cemo there to 4 maybe 5 policemen all killed on same (victorian I think) day in Nottingham?

"friends burial ground"? (Ashley)

1886 July 1st

Annual report of Public Parks and Burial Grounds Committee records the acceptance of Walnut Tree Lane Burial Ground (disused) from the Society of Friends as a public recreation ground. It has been placed, with Mount Street Burial Ground, in the hands of the Kyrle Society.

[Founded 1877 by Octavia Hill, for conversion of waste land into gardens and similar objects; named after John Kyrle, 1637-1724, "the man of Ross", philanthropist, amateur landscape gardener, etc.]

Whilst on the subject of the `dead centre of Nottingham ,I thought that this was an interesting insight into the chosen race.

The Jews Cemetery (Sherwood Street)

1824 Land set aside by the Corporation (Jews also had a separate gallows)

Theres also a Jewish Cemetary at Wiford Hill, ironically enough just across from graves of 2 German Aircrew killed in WW2, (or at least latter there in 1960's, going back to the map I see what was meant by Park Row "going straight up" am I right in thinking it joined where the former bank and cinema are? must have been passed it 100 plus times pre Maid Marion Way but memory fading! Noticed another item of interest, the "Electric Light Works" on talbot st, can remember that still working around 1964