Evening Post on the 23rd

Fantastic headline...proposals to build a 20 million pound Robin Hood statue in Nottingham...Wonderful.Can I suggest that it be made out of whicker... then the idiots that dream up these schemes in the middle of a recession can be incorporated in the framework before local Poll tax payers dance round it and set fire to it.

I can hear the screams of the participants as the flames lick skywards.There won't be a lot of room as the compartments will be taken up by the proponents of the £2,000,000 White horse in Kent...and the 2012 Olympics organisers, all crammed in there together...plus the idiots that decided to build a Dome in London and a few others who take great pleasure in spending money...not their own of course.

James Mellors who proposes the scheme says if it was positioned on the Victoria Embankment ...it would make "The Meadows one of the hottest properties in the city" with lots of cafe's wine bars and restaurants there as well....Yep it's gonna be Notting Hill all over again...Millionaires fighting over properties...Christ! are these people real??

£20,000,000 ????

You could by the whole of the Meadows for that !!!!

Me thinks Fair ground man has taken too many knocks on the head over the years

I read the article on-line and I must say I kinda like the idea - as long as they don't use taxpayer money to fund it!

I do think that Nottingham has done a poor job of capitalizing on the "Robin Hood" connection and, as the article points out, tourist money is very valuable in that it passes through the local economy several times.

Over here, everybody has heard of Robin Hood, Nottingham Castle and, of course, the Sherrif - but nobody who goes on a trip to the U.K. ever goes to Nottingham. It is a great city to visit, and could be on a par with places like York or Canturbury. It has great shopping, a very pleasant city center, and a great history. Using Robin Hood to promote it is a great idea - and could make the city a world class tourist destination - especially if they promote the benefits of HP!

The London Eye has been a brilliant idea...but it wasn't built in the middle of a recession.There are more important things for money to be spent on than this.Most of the world has more important things to think about than trying to encourage tourism from people who are lucky if they have a job let alone a holiday.

And I agree Nottingham has been crap in the past at exploiting the Robin Hood legend...but now is not the time to do it.

Page 9 same post...Council set to ban street traders...lotsa little people bringing character into the concrete jungle...Maybe they should all have a banner above their stall saying 'Tescos'...then the council would turn a blind eye.

marketsquare2-1.jpg

This was Nottingham Market Square a hundred years ago..Now that's what I call 'character'...this reintroduced would draw tourists back to the city...like the Lincoln Christmas Market does.

Councils won't be happy until every high street consists of supermarkets with a sprinkling of banks,building societies,McDonalds and charity shops.....

And all small traders have jobs at Tesco as shelf fillers.

QUOTE...Over here, everybody has heard of Robin Hood, Nottingham Castle and, of course, the Sherrif - but nobody who goes on a trip to the U.K......

We had a American family with us over christmas.....anyway as we were stood by robin hood outside the castle the young texas lad(15) said to me and i kid you not..."So Robin Hood isnt a FOX then??"......

I would bet that Robin Hood is better known worldwide than say...The Alamo. Although without Hollywood,John Wayne and Errol Flynn, I don't suppose half the world would have heard of either.

I agree with Mick - if the guy has the money to spend, at least this would put a few folks to work on the construction, then there will also be a few jobs for ticket sellers, etc. Hopefully, by then, the recession will have abated and there will be a bit mor money available for travel.

Speaking of travel, and money, I have been keeping my eye on airfares to the U.K. since we hope to visit this summer - with all the talk of recession I thought the prices might go down but so far they are holding very steady! We are in no hurry to buy, and the dates are flexible so we plan to hold out for the best deal - it will be interesting to see if prices do drop as the summer gets closer!

I agree with Mick - if the guy has the money to spend, at least this would put a few folks to work on the construction.

The guy proposing the project is a showman...the Barnum and Baileys of this world don't spend their own money.

Would start the fight all over again...yorkshire dont like us claiming Robin Hood as 'ours'.

without doubt it has been proved Robin Hood was in fact a Scotsman, His real name was Ben (as in Ben Lomond etc) McHood, the Robin coming in fact as many others did, for example Robin Bastard, Robin Git, from his trade or profession, He originally started out as a beggar and many of his lines have been turned into ethnic poetry still often quoted in meetings of his home town local history soc. The StobCoiran Albanain Poets, from his early work of "giz us a quid fer a dram" to what many consider his masterpiece "Will ye noo lend me forty poonds ta buz a garden shed" Sadly the great recession of 1426 proved his downfall and he ventured south to become a robber

Ashley - have you been watching "Monty Python" re-runs again?

tourist money is very valuable in that it passes through the local economy several times.

Ask any 'Hoodie' and I'm sure they would agree - muggin' tourists is easy pickings

It is a great city to visit. It has great shopping, a very pleasant city center, and a great history.

Eric..... you have spent toooooooo much time away from this 'fair' city to make a statement like that. It may have been in times past but now... well, it's not safe to venture out after dark, and as for great shopping - don't make me laugh. It looks just like any other city, same shops, same prices, lack of choice etc, etc. and crap all over the floor - especially outside McDonalds, Bu$$er King, SubWay et al.

Using Robin Hood to promote it is a great idea - and could make the city a world class tourist destination - especially if they promote the benefits of HP!

Can't argue on this one though !laughing!

Oh I dunno Frank - my missus will happily tell you that Nottingham is her favorite British city! As for the shops - they may be all the same to you, but they aren't to us! We don't even have Marks & Spencer in Canada anymore (or Boots for that matter)! So although we can find the same stores in other British cities, Nottingham is the shopping destination of choice!

As for the Monty Python - yes, Dennis Moore and the lupins, but also a sketch about lost Burns poems - mostly on the lines of "lenduz a quid 'till Sat'dey"!

my missus will happily tell you that Nottingham is her favorite British city!

Eric mate....... please tell Mary that Nottingham is an ENGLISH city.

We are not British, United, Kingdom, European, or Polish, we are ENGLISH. !englandflag!

Did you realise that you spelt CENTER the US way? English mate... Centre. Nuf said.

P S

Hope you are buying the next time we meet in the Poacher !clapping!

Boy, pushing youre luck aint ya Frank? Sorry - but I ave a 'merican spell chequer, an it don't work on ENGLISH words.

I thought it was your round!

Two hundred grand??....Naaaah! it would cost that for the consultation document and the trip to Rio for twenty councillors and their wives to see the statue of Christ first hand. Then on to New York to study the Statue of Liberty...flying business class of course.

Christo.jpg