OK

The date moves from year to year, but, do you still partake?

I managed 7 before I ran out of the mixture Mrs Frank left for me (she goes out on Tuesday nights)

What is your favourite topping? Mine's sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice. My dad used to like jam and milk !hungr!

Do you ex-pats still celebrate Pancake Day?

And no comments about tossing please !laughing!

Apparently its a big deal in Russia.

I for one had my share thanks to my wife remembering.

Sad really how all the old British ?english customs are fading.

Could be the subject of a blog? Dying traditions in English life

It's not an English / British custom , it's worldwide within the Christian religion , marking the start of Lent and 40 days before Easter. All food in the household had to be used up as Lent was a period of fasting. Flour eggs and milk were parts of a staple diet and as such were in abundance and therefore the last items to be used up

I had two ,the kids one each. (4oz flour 1 egg milk pinch of salt) I had honey and freshly squeezedorange juice on them , ( Charlottes idea) but I too normally have sugar and orange juice.

SWMBO insists that I make her some tommorrow as she is off work.!! I told her to trade something for them !!!!!! !jumping!

In the immortal words of Stoke Aitkin and Waterman, via the mouth of the gorgeous Kylie Minogue ... ... ....

"I should be so lucky!!"

Actually, it did not originate as a Christian tradition, it has its roots in pure practicality.

In the autumn, foodstuffs with fatty content would be stored for the winter - to be eaten through the winter since fresh food was not available. Come the spring, and increasing temperatures, the food must be consumed, or it will go bad. Unfortunately, often the increase in temps. did not coincide with the resupply of fresh food, hence the period of fasting.

The tradition exists in many religions, not just Christianity!

Anyhow, we do not have "Pancake Day" over here - it coincides with Mardis Gras - or "fat Tuesday" but there are variations. Around Detroit (and I believe Toledo and Cleveland), it is known as Paczki Day - and the pronunciation is nothing like the spelling! It is essentially the same deal - use up the fat and flour before it goes bad!

Fortunately, over here, we have refrigeration - and it works year round, so I don't participate in these heathen beliefs!

Just open your back door for refridgeration at this time of year Eric !!!! !laughing!

Well now my Sunday school is full of pathalogical liars too!!!

Yep - up north(!) some folks do use a trash can hanging from a tree as a "winter freezer"!

Actually, the whole idea that a lot of Christian traditions/beliefs are the result of practical considerations was started for me by the Rev. Reese when I was at Grammar School. Another good one is the "fish on Friday" thing - that was because the fisherman brought their catch to port on Friday - and the only form of preservation was salting, so if you wanted to eat fresh fish, it was only available on Friday!

A lot of these traditions are also present in the Jewish faith - and there is a really good book called "The Jewish Book of Why" that explains a lot of them. It is surprising how many either coincide with, or have parallel beliefs, in other religions!

Quote:-I had two ,the kids one each......Wow you lot really got stuck in then...... !laughing!

I have to make them again today (In about 10 minutes to be presice) as SWMBO was working late yesterday

• 2 years later...

And yet again it's going to last two days in our house as SWMBO is working late again today!!hungry.gif

Hmmm, might use a few eggs up tonight!

I had four (Orange juice and sweetener) the kids two each (Adam had one with Lemon juice and Golden Syrup!! ) i now have to get up tomorrow (My day off) and make some for SWMBO to have for her breakfast!!

• 3 weeks later...

!hungr! I still make them not just on a particular day , I use the same mixture for my Fish & Chips

Does anyone have a recipe for fish & chip batter like the chip shops use ?

I think the trick with fish batter is to make sure the fish is dry before dipping it in the batter. Batter is basically the same for pancakes and Yorkshire puddings with less water in the mix.

As Mick suggests, some add beer to the mix.