Try boiling your beef joint in stout/ dark beer (1 small bottle), untill the beer is reduced to almost nothing, then transfer the meat to your roasting pan with what's left of the beer and meat juices.

Add your taters and cook.

I make sure my joint has a little fat,as that helps to flavour the taters, and fat for the pan I cook my Yorkshire pudding in.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The change in taste "may" be because they reduced the salt content, but I doubt it. The amount of salt that was put in processed food was horrendous, but I believe in the U.K. it has been cut by abou

Bit OT, but one of my favourite meals is roast rib beef with yorkshire pudding. But we do it me mums old fashioned way, just over half cook the piece of rib roast in the pan, turn up the heat for 10m

What a waste of good beer .............. !jumping! A better idea is to drink a six pack (Or two) first, then it doesn't matter what it tastes like.......

What a waste of good beer .............. !jumping!

A better idea is to drink a six pack (Or two) first, then it doesn't matter what it tastes like....... slywink

• Upvote 2

I think to "Boil" a beatiful piece of roast rib of of beef, in anything, would be sacrilege IMO ! but thats just me, i don't like corned beef much or any type of pot roasts for that matter.

Have heard of Coca cola chicken though but not for me again as I can't abide the stuff ! Coke that is.

My missus used to drink gallons of Pepsi Max and got addicted to it I feel sure, she still takes a small glass to bed with her at night !

Yuk !

Give me a cup of tea any day.

Are Melton Mowbray pies still going strong?

Seem to recollect family used to get these for Christmas and my Aunt Jean here in Australia says she loved them.

Tea time Christmas Day and the cold meats etc, together with the pork pie, was on the table. Used to enjoy the meat with a bit of mustard as well as the pastry but, could not stomach the jelly lining.

Bonds butchers at top of Carlton hill used to do a nice pork pie. Dont know if they are still there though.

Also Mick Robinson in Netherfield.

Had a nice Melton Mowbray pie at a small pub in Leicestershire last year, very tasty.

I miss me English pork pies, we've had the odd pretender here in oz trying to make em, but nothing compares to the old english one's.

Agree with you there banjo48.

Tried the 'genuine imported real british pork pies' once from the gourmet sections of Grace Bros in Sydney and David Jones in Melbourne.........pure cr8p. Even my dogs thought twice.

I like the idea of Beefy's rib roast with Yorkshire mix poured around it! I'll try it next time we can afford a bit of cow.

Salt is a well known and overused flavour enhancer. The modern fad for less salt is detrimental to the flavour of many dishes.

A warning for the roast rib /yorkshire pudding eaters! It is addictive and encourages over indulgence, my wife and I still make a family size baking tray full, and eat the lot ! Lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pork Farms
  • 3 months later...

Oh no not the pork pie discussion again! Haha

What comes around goes around! We used to go to Melton Market on a Tuesday where we procured pork pies from Ye Olde Pork Pie shop. I think it was Dickinson and Morris? They were an excellent pie and made on the premises, not on a production line. ‘Hand raised’ I believe the expression is. My best of all pie came from Jack Bailey at Upper Broughton but that shop’s long gone. I still need to visit Chambers in Arnold as their pies come highly recommended and I believe are prizewinning. I always love hearing about pork pies! :biggrin:

I’m amazed that there is so much to say about pork pies (0n two threads). I can’t bear the things - just looking at the jelly and the pinkish meat makes me feel a bit sick!  
but each to their own :) 

• Like 1

Phil I think  I’d prefer to eat a pork

pie than an eel bit hope I never  have to eat either ,,.,

I must confess I’ve never eaten eels but only because I’ve never had the opportunity. I have eclectic tastes and have enjoyed snails, frog’s legs and other strange delicacies. I did see eels in a dyke near here some years ago. Do they come all the way from the Sargasso Sea?

…..but boiling up gizzards makes lovely gravy!  

And yes, mature eels travel thousands of miles to the Sargasso Sea - near the Bahamas- to breed.  Apparently they only develop sexual characteristics on their way there!  The baby eels (elvers) then drift back over the Atlantic to freshwater rivers and streams in Europe.  (Just googled all this). Fascinating stuff!