Can you still get Tripe or Cow heel? My father in law used to eat Tripe after it had been boiled in milk, it looked disgusting.

Don't forget the onions, it made all the difference, we'd have that for tea when the old man came back from watching County in the 50's.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The change in taste "may" be because they reduced the salt content, but I doubt it. The amount of salt that was put in processed food was horrendous, but I believe in the U.K. it has been cut by abou

Bit OT, but one of my favourite meals is roast rib beef with yorkshire pudding. But we do it me mums old fashioned way, just over half cook the piece of rib roast in the pan, turn up the heat for 10m

What a waste of good beer .............. !jumping! A better idea is to drink a six pack (Or two) first, then it doesn't matter what it tastes like.......

Can you still get Tripe or Cow heel? My father in law used to eat Tripe after it had been boiled in milk, it looked disgusting.

You are right, tripe is disgusting but my inlaws love it! But they won't eat "Andouillette" - a french sausage.

Can you still buy real, fresh Pork Farms pies in Nottingham ?

I don't mean the crap things that are sold in Supermarkets,,,,,,

I know that the Pork Farms Shops have closed down,,,,, but would still like to get the real deal on my next visit.

My old mum & dad would bring me one as an 'easter egg' when visiting me at,,, erm,,, easter.

Talking of "not eating if you knew",,,,,, that is true of almost any manufactured product (food or drink). There as many stories out there as there are pies.

If the kids of today saw how bottled beers are kept, they wouldn't drink out of the bottle ! They get pissed on by rats, cats, foxes (& probably worse things),,,, mmmmmmmm

Like Beefy i used to make similar stuff (pies,,, sausage etc) at Hackworths in the Medders. There are specific recipes for each product. Many people don't realise that a certain amount of fat is required in sausages, pies etc,,,, otherwise they won't cook properly.

Gelatin: When I make pies, I make my own gelatin just by simmering a chicken carcass. Great in Game pies,,,, or in my case sausage, chicken, ham pies,,,, topped up with gelatin,,,,,,mmmmm

Tripe: I'm not sqeamish,,, have eaten & drank all sorts over the years,,,, but could never eat cooked tripe'n'onions - I just don't like it. I used to be able to eat a bit of raw tripe with pepper & vinegar. I guess a lot of others wouldn't eat it if they saw it in the raw,,,, before being bleached.

Cow Heel: My old mum would always add cow heel to her weekly 'Leg of Beef' stew. Come rain or shine,,,, summer or winter,,,, she made her stew.

They were the boiled pigs inside I believe. Eat with salt and vinager on.

Not crispy at all.

Pork Scratcings are Rind cooked to render out the pork fat dripping.

They say the only thing wasted on a pig is it's squeel.

,,,, IMHO you didn't get the best of Chitterlings (of course - personal taste dependent).

The ones that we had were definitely Crispy,,, or I don't think we'd have liked 'em so much. They are (or were) made from the pigs intestines. I don't know if they get boiled or not, but definitely deep fried,,,,

As kids, we'd buy a bag of 'em and eat in the street like a bag of sweets (or todays scratchin's).

I remember giving a couple to a small dog (poss J.Russell) who also loved 'em,,, so much, that when they'd gone - it bit me !

"Rissoles" Not sure who made them. They were fish cake size and tasted meaty.

Is this thread getting like things you don't see anymore?

Fellow goes into a chippy and says

"Packet of chips and two pi55oles please "

The man behind the counter says

"It's R not a P"

Fellow says

"Sorry packet of chips and two Ar5e holes please"

Mr Red tells me she brought it from the chemist .

Nick you really ought to check the sex of your good lady a bit closer!!!

oooh, rissoles. And faggots, that brings back memories. Are you allowed to call them faggots anymore, or has the PC brigade banned the word. LOL. Speaking of chitterlings, a few postings ago, I had to fetch them from the top shops [on Broxtowe Lane] for me mam. I always thought they were chicklings, cos that's what I asked for each time. Thought they had something to do with a chicken.

They were the boiled pigs inside I believe. Eat with salt and vinager on.

Not crispy at all.

Pork Scratcings are Rind cooked to render out the pork fat dripping.

They say the only thing wasted on a pig is it's squeel.

!laughing! And the curl in it's tail!!

• 2 weeks later...

!laughing! And the curl in it's tail!!

I have a small cookbook with pork and lamb recipes that my mother gave me some years ago. It is titled "Making the Most of Meat" - Co-op guide to Lamb & Pork cookery.

There is a recipe for pork pie. I do not know how old this little cookbook is, but there is mention of the New Zealand Meat Producers Board - before the Common Market?

I also have at least two other pork pie recipes. We have enjoyed pork pie and pickled onions on quite a few occasions. My mother used to make her own potted meat, pressed tongue, etc.

I just found a date for the cookbook - 1973. It's still has money-off coupons!

• 3 years later...

Posting just now on the Tobys thread made me think about the fact that we had to work every third Saturday, and what made this bearable was the grated cheese cob and warm sausage roll for lunch from Pork Farms just across the road. Can't say that I have ever had such tasty cheese cobs or sausage rolls since. This was back in the eary 60's and unfortunately their sausage rolls today, which can be bought from most supermakets around the country, aren't a patch on them.

I had the privilage of mking millions of those sausage rolls in the 80's . They tasted great just after they'd come out of our ovens !

Hi Beefsteak, im more in memory of their bakery on Alfred st south, i lived on Alfred st ,just up from the Cromwell Pub,

in the late 1950.s and if the wind was in the right direction, the smell from that bakery was just heaven.

Iv.e tryed loads of different sausage rolls, but not one comes near Pork Farms Products. hummy hummy.

At the old factory on Alfred St as mentioned they were always in the Mags Court for hygiene offences, always prosecuted under a different name ! Not the trading name.

IMMSC it was F.W. Farnsworth

our friend john used to live behind the st anns factory and sez it was running with rats at night in there yards they used to shoot them from there bedroom windows the manager used to give them pies and sausage rolls. but he sez they would never touch them. but his mum sold them in her shop.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pork Farms