I played for Pork Farms (Queens Drive) Why we ended up playing home games there for a season is beyond me as we normally played on The Embankment or At Wilford .

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The change in taste "may" be because they reduced the salt content, but I doubt it. The amount of salt that was put in processed food was horrendous, but I believe in the U.K. it has been cut by abou

Bit OT, but one of my favourite meals is roast rib beef with yorkshire pudding. But we do it me mums old fashioned way, just over half cook the piece of rib roast in the pan, turn up the heat for 10m

What a waste of good beer .............. !jumping! A better idea is to drink a six pack (Or two) first, then it doesn't matter what it tastes like.......

I played for Pork Farms (Queens Drive) Why we ended up playing home games there for a season is beyond me as we normally played on The Embankment or At Wilford .

Do you still eat pork pies Beefsteak? My uncle worked at a pie factory 30 odd years ago and won't touch pies anymore saying you wouldn't eat them if you knew what went in them - perhaps you may enlighten us ...... pork pies are a flamin fortune out here - due to pork (non muslim) being heavily taxed......

Your Uncle was a little over the top with his comments on the content of Pork Pies

A 200lb mix of meat consisted of

100lb best pork

70lb Belly pork

and

30lb Seasoning (Salt, Pepper , preservatives, ground rind, water .etc)

Nothing untoward there. Now Faggots on the other hand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked there making the bloody things for 3 years so I think I am more likely to know whats in them , than a mate or an uncle who might be trying to wind you up . I also got ropped in to make ' The Show Pies' for which we won many awards!! (Not that I got any mind) and the ingredients in them were very different!!

But I asure you there is no grease added

To Answer Mariags question, I still eat them occasionally , and the daftest thing is I have a piece of pie in the fridge , I only bought it 'cause it was on the woopsie counter at Morrisons yesterday and this ignorant woman pushed passed me and my little lad to try and grab it , (I was just being a git !!) I bought a Haggis that she went for too !!!!

My point being , if she hadn't been rude she could have had all of it , but her ignorance cost her.

no, theres no grease in them, it's used sump oil! !laughing! talking of which you know how "sooty" vans rust, well I decided to try to prevent such when I bought mine, so up on the axle stands, crawled under and brushed said (thick) oil all over underneath of it, great I thought, till hot weather came and it all dripped off, looked like the torrey canyon had been in the car park!

When Pork Farms were located on Alfred Street in the old St Anns years ago the were in the Evening Post every other week being prosecuted for breaches of hygiene regulations. Funny how they were always prosecuted under the name of F.W Farnsworth though !

'Mike Maloney' pork pie bought Mansfield last week...never seen 'em before...delicious,and not pumped full of gelatine like some...decent pastry too,not like concrete.

The gelatin in Pork Farms pies was (as you imply) pumped in AFTER COOKING. mass produced by the gallon!!, as for show pies , we used to boil pigs trotters for hours until it was just jelly left along with bones and some really tasty meat (Perk of the job) this was then still injected after cooking, (not the meat) but at a lot lower temperature, and therefore every pie was done individually and slowly to ensure there was an even distribution.

Ok beefsteak perhaps you are right....my uncle is most peculiar on what he will and not eat! I personally don't like pork farm pies because the crust is soggy and should be wrapped in paper not cellophane..... melton mowbray pies are much better..... can also reccommend a butcher in newthorpe- near Ikea name of Barlows (proper 3 generation butcher) he has won awards for his pork pies even over melton mowbray.... and his potted meat is something to die for...... really miss his meat!!!!

• 5 months later...

a butcher in newthorpe..... really miss his meat!!!!

Geez Mariag...I thought that you were happily married.....rotfl.gif

Batty Brit.

If you like potted meat get yer sen over to Greasley Miners' Welfare. Their idea of catering a buffet is to put out a pile of potted meat sarnies. And for those who like a little choice they also lay-on beef dripping.

BEEF DRIPPING, ummmmm with just a sprinkling of salt on fresh crusty bread ummmmmm

Now you've done it! But add in some of that brown jelly off the bottom and a glass of cold, fresh, milk! Delicious! It used to be my favorite late night snack after a night in the pub!

Now you're just tormenting me Limey,brown jelly ummm, crusty bread, beef dripping,salt and cold milk, you're a very cruel man, the butchers are closed around here now but I think Odlins in Navenby might sell it, I'll check on me way home from work tomorrow

Rog

Wow - I'm impressed that you know a butcher that may still sell the stuff. If you find some - have an extra slice for me!

Out here they would think you had gone nuts to ask for such a thing, let alone eat it! And don't even mention Steak & Kidney! ;)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pork Farms