Pooh Bear and Stephen,

Can you remember the wonderful, colourful fish displays presented on a huge, white slab in front of the window at the Co-op's Fruit / Veg - corner of Nuthall Road and Melbourne Road? I loved the smells in that shop: the smell of fresh fish, the smell of spring flowers in their buckets and the earthy smell of new potatoes in their respective cubby holes at the back of the shop. :)

I was truly upset when the fish slab went - thankfully a colourful feature retained in today's supermarkets.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Katyjay, And give yourself a tick tooooooooooooo

Dont know if you can make it out or not, But this house at the end of Kirks Buildins, Carlton Still has its WW2 air raid shelter up against the wall. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=carlton&hl=

What makes the 'Nottstalgia' site worthwhile to me is: when I can read Pooh Bear's description of the area at the bottom end of Stockhill Lane - back in the 1950's - and his words work on my memory;

Been looking back at the beginning of this thread and there are mentions of several places up near the Broxtowe Lane/Nuthall Road junction.

So here's a northern continuation of my previous map showing how the railway crossed Broxtowe Lane, and various other locations in that area

newbrox1.jpg

Strangely I don't remember my Mother using the Co.op...and that's when we got dragged round shopping.She got her veg from Emmings a fruit and veg shop in the shops under the Aspley Cinema.She used Norris's the butchers though...every time we went in Jack would give me a slice of corned beef...it was delicious.

Ah - now you've said Bennets, I do remember. It had a very pleasant characteristic sweet smell to it, and I seem to remember Mrs Bennet as the right sort of person to be selling that sort of goodies! Not sure about the bike shop - I'm sure there was a lad in my class at Whitemoor who lived over that shop. I thought his name was John Frearson, but I could be wrong - and even if I'm not they might not have had anything to do with the business down below. Now I'm racking my brains to think of the toys and electrical shop - it's on the tip of my tongue...got it : Lee and Goodjohn!

Pooh Bear and Stephen,

Do you remember the pork shop on Nuthall Road? Set on a corner, the place is now a Funeral Directors.

The pork shop sold scratchings occasionally and people went mad for them, plus you could get hot faggots with gravy - if you were accompanied with a bowl! :)

I know the shop you mean...but it's one of those I can't remember using.Looking down the road now on Google there are many more shops than I remember....and of course I forgot the chippy opposite the prefabs.

Bennetts sweet shop. There was a son lived there, rode a motorbike and in the same 'gang' as my eldest brother. Don't know what the son's name was but he was a big lad and went by the name of Big Ben. I always thought Ben was his first name but it was a shortening of Bennett. I remember all those shops you mention, especially the electrical shop as there was a bus stop outside it, opposite the Newcastle Arms, we caught our bus there after visiting family in Basford. Walked up and down the High Street for years, remember little corner shops, and cottages set back from the street with nice gardens in front. I'm thinking they put public toilets outside the library so folks waiting for buses could use them? Got my Palm Beach bike from the bike shop, on tick of course, half a crown a week I think. re: pigs being kept along Stockhill Lane. It's correct, I used to hear them squealling as my dad and I walked past the allotments on a Saturday going to grandma's house. They were just before Rock House, on the same side.

When we lived on Aslockton Drive up to 1954 I remember seeing NCB steam engines with a few wagons crossing Melbourne Road with a flagman in attendance and then prowling off down the back of Nuthall Road shops to the Newcastle colliery sidings. There was a bridle path from Nuthall Road that led over an unprotected crossing to Melbourne Park.

When we lived on Aslockton Drive up to 1954 I remember seeing NCB steam engines with a few wagons crossing Melbourne Road with a flagman in attendance and then prowling off down the back of Nuthall Road shops to the Newcastle colliery sidings. There was a bridle path from Nuthall Road that led over an unprotected crossing to Melbourne Park.

Speaking of Melbourne Park, does anyone recall the bike racing on there? The grass track made for lots of crashes as I remember!

They weren't toilets, were they? Only, I seem to remember going into the small building at some time, and I wouldn't be going into a police station. Thought it was for a jimmy riddle.

Yes Jackson it was an air raid shelter, a square concrete ARP one, there used to be one in next door to where I lived on Nottingham Rd New Basford which during WW2 was an air raid warden base, made a great den, think theres still one at end of terraced houses on Prospect Street Radford

They weren't toilets, were they? Only, I seem to remember going into the small building at some time, and I wouldn't be going into a police station. Thought it was for a jimmy riddle.

I remember going in to report a missing budgie...the desk sergeant stopped writing when some female came in and peed in his waste bin...

1ebb0a28.jpg0022-6.gif

Been looking back at the beginning of this thread and there are mentions of several places up near the Broxtowe Lane/Nuthall Road junction.

So here's a northern continuation of my previous map showing how the railway crossed Broxtowe Lane, and various other locations in that area

newbrox1.jpg

its interesting to see dark lane in the middle of this map, going behind the red lion to join with nuthall road, and no trace of what looks like a rail/tram siding that the remains of can still be seen across the playing fields to this day, running roughly parallel with dark lane.

Yes Jackson it was an air raid shelter, a square concrete ARP one, there used to be one in next door to where I lived on Nottingham Rd New Basford which during WW2 was an air raid warden base, made a great den, think theres still one at end of terraced houses on Prospect Street Radford

Dont know if you can make it out or not, But this house at the end of Kirks Buildins, Carlton Still has its WW2 air raid shelter up against the wall.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=carlton&hl=en&ll=52.965345,-1.095876&spn=0.001599,0.005284&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&hnear=Carlton,+Nottinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.965368,-1.095715&panoid=leWbJVWJzNFQu79cEPJUpg&cbp=12,286.99,,1,10.51

• Upvote 1

Yes jimmy, that is/was an Anderson Shelter, supplied I think FOC to families, they were made of bolt together curved corrugated iron sheets, think original idea was the man of the house dug a hole, half buried it then covered rest with soil, the ones I referred to far more substantial. all concrete maybe a foot thick, (off topic but a nice "marmite" car in that photo, keep wondering whether to buy one!)

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/38/73/2387370_c786771f.jpg

its interesting to see dark lane in the middle of this map, going behind the red lion to join with nuthall road, and no trace of what looks like a rail/tram siding that the remains of can still be seen across the playing fields to this day, running roughly parallel with dark lane.

Looking at an other older map, the tram lines are shown. I didn't know the area then (I'm not that old) but it looks like the tram terminated on Dark Lane just behind the Red Lion. Is that the siding you are thinking of?

dark.jpg