Memories of Broxtowe / Player comprehensive School

No Chance...You need a mortgage for a decent piece of fish these days...especially here in Bakewell...I used to go in the chippy and ask for fish and chips, when I do get chance these days I make sure I choose the fish and make right sure its the "Biggest fish in the grill"...its ridiculous....things are so bad now I quit smokin too..after 40 years an all...I remember me dad sayin' "If these fags go up to 10 shillings I'm packin in"...6 and half quid now.

Almost 2 years off the cigs May 5th Wife had a go at quiting that lasted 2 months back on them again

Had teeth pulled at Chaucer st butchers shop

Had teeth filled at Players without shots still hate the dentists even though im in the trade

Yea...The Mill Cafe another grand landmark...as for the dentist.... !faint!

• 4 years later...

I lived on Bradfield - opposite Withern Road,about 7 doors up from the Library, from '57 till I moved out from mams in '68. Went to Players infants, then juniors but finished off at William Crane Secondary School for Boys, bottom of Sherbourne Road till '67.

Frank, Did you know John Smith. He would have lived within a couple of doors of you, across from Withern. Do you know what happened to him. I lived on Bidford Road. Left Player Seniors in about 1962.

Alan White

Frank's post was from May 2009 and he hasn't logged in since December 2009. I suspect he won't see your post.

You could try contacting him using the PM system - hold your mouse over his name on one of his posts and click on "PM this member".

#26...........Mill Café...........Large sos with !! was sausagemeat + toms, Large link with !! was sausage + toms.................... bowdown

Alan White #29, knew an alan white, of broxtowe, about 1960s, we lived on shipley rd, my cousins went to Crane school, ernie Allen left about 1962, they lived on sherbourne rd, next door to the co op

• 5 weeks later...

Alan White #29

I knocked about with John Smith for a while when he lived on Woodfield he moved later to Bradfield Road, he had 2 sisters one was a very pretty dark haired girl became a hairdresser drove a sportscar. The other sister was a blonde.

A friend Kenny Hemsley told me John Smith was a bricklayer and later became a building inspector on Gedling Borough Council Lived in Ravenshead and married a girl off Colchester Road. Believed to have emigrated to OZ but not 100% sure on this one.

Terence12 I knew a Brian White who lived on Shipley at no. 27. Alan White any relation?

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Went to player infants East head Mrs Cresswell on Beechdale Road now Brocklewood, then player junior east Head was MRS GUNBY then Mr Collington who got sacked then Mr Heathrington  now jubilee school.. Then up to player comprehensive on Denewood Crescent now demolished except for the polo at the front gates.. J.irlam pe teacher. Mr terry maths..miss mclafferty cooking.(Now a prison governor)  Mr speight who was the best teacher we ever had..Mr golds science Mrs Alexander English, Mr Dales art,Miss Ellis French Mr price chemistry and the hot teacher were Mr Smith and Mr samples Mr Dooley then Mr Sharpe were Headmasters and we use to make mini hovercrafts and an electric power car in the CDT unit a and garage and do sports day on Harvey Haddon track centre.  God wish I could go back :)

• Upvote 2

I also attended all 3 Player schools, '57-'67.  The only name I remember from your list is Mr Terry, an absolutely smashing man & a fine teacher as well.

Mind you Mr Terry being a Bulwell bloke I would expect nothing less.

We practically lived in Broxtowe Woods in the 50s and early 60s, building dens,bird nesting,new nutting. Great in winter sledging down the big bank,if you didnt have a sledge an old bit of lino would do. It was particularly good in the winter of 62/63 when the snow stayed around for months

• 1 year later...

hi i see honiton road was very near to frinton road,wondered if you ever heard of a paul fearn maybe used niockname randy or a dennis storer .i no a dennis storer lives on allendale road so its quite possible they would have known each other,maybe from school.hope you can help me please.thank you.regards.margaret.

it was richard fearn and joseph and eveline who lived on frinton road.m.

• 10 months later...

My Mum who is Sheila Ann Harby lived at 55 Withern Rd and went to Players. She left In 1957. She would love to know what happened to her good friend Alison Truswell. They lost contact after leaving Players. Can anyone on here help?

She remembers teachers such as Mr Pratt and of course the head, Miss Lyons.

'Er indoors used to go to Player school about that time. She just told me that Mr. Pratt was one her teachers. She used to live opposite to Withern road, on Bradfield road, until we got married in 1965, up at St. Marthas church.

3 hours ago, Sheila76 said:

She would love to know what happened to her good friend Alison Truswell. They lost contact after leaving Players.

Are you sure she doesn't have any other names? I've only had a cursory look but can find no mention of an Alison Truswell birth, marriage or death within the relevant time frame.

• 3 months later...

We moved into Colchester Road when the estate was first built. It was the first ever house that we lived in that had a bath! They were still building houses at the top of the road and I remember one hot summer, my younger sister and our friends got stuck in some mud, in a ditch and had to shout for help. We lost our shoes. As I was older than my sister o got a right belting, even though it was my sister that we went on to rescue. Dad used to set rabbit snares in the nearby woods and would sell what we didn’t eat. Does anybody remember the stage coach that used to come round? You paid to have a ride in it. Happy days playing safely in the roads. Skipping, marbles, whip and top. snobs. They all had their seasons. I went to both John Players infants and junior school. Shortly after I went into the juniors, sadly my mum died and I went to live with an aunt in Yorkshire. 

• Like 1