Memories of Broxtowe / Player comprehensive School

Hi

Firstly what a great site. I lived in broxtowe, Born at and lived at Honiton road until 1987. I was 16 at the time now being 38, it seems like yesterday. At the time didnt seem too bad.

Reading about places i grew up with seems very sad looking back.The Odeon/Abc cinemas - co-op on Parliment street. The Cocked Hat, My uncle, bill Scott drank there. I havnt been back to Nottingham for 20 years and by photos on the net i cant beleive all those places have gone. Does anyone remeber player comp school, Bobbers mill cafe, is that still there. My dad was a trucker and always took me in there for a sausage meat sandwich.Ive never tasted another like it. Coliers arms Cinderhill on a friday night for underage drinking. Well guys this site has made all those memories come back.

Cheers Dan

Bobbers Mill Cafe used to do 'Special Savory Sausage' IMMSC , used to love it in there!!

Oh and the old woman behind the counter who instead of saying breakfasts as a plural always used to say 2 breakfasses

Welcome dandares, I lived not far from you, on Amesbury Circus. Played in Broxtowe Woods all the time, did you? Mind you, you're young enough to be my son, so perhaps kids didn't play in there in the 70/80's?

Welcome dandares, I remember the sausage meat sandwiches very well at the Mill Cafe ! the cafe is still there but have not been there for many years.

Also I was a former pupil at Player comp but a bit before your time, I left in 67.

• 1 month later...

My 2nd book deals with us moving to 'posh' (mam's word!) Broxta when I was 11. We lived just round the corner from you In Whitwell road. I went to Player school but I am a lot older than you. In our day there used to be an ant like trail of kids of all ages carrying jugs of all size and type down Bradfield road to be filled with foaming ale at the 'beer off'. Imagine health and safety's reaction to THAT today!!! We'd dawdle knowing full well that the foam would still be there no matter how long it took us to walk back up that long hill. A bit diff to the chemical crammed stuff folk drink today!

I recall the Dunns (Pym st), Browns, Lees and Evans (Moffat street), Mr Martin head at Bluebell hill...of I shall be here all day!

• Upvote 1

I lived on Bradfield - opposite Withern Road,about 7 doors up from the Library, from '57 till I moved out from mams in '68. Went to Players infants, then juniors but finished off at William Crane Secondary School for Boys, bottom of Sherbourne Road till '67.

• Upvote 1

Frank,

Do you recall a guy called Mick Hatcher, lived on Bradfield in the 60's, short guy with blond hair, proper 'mod', had a mate named Derek?? !englandflag!

nicknamed neh' neh' (pronounced nay nay)???

Frank,

Do you recall a guy called Mick Hatcher, lived on Bradfield in the 60's, short guy with blond hair, proper 'mod', had a mate named Derek?? !englandflag!

nicknamed neh' neh' (pronounced nay nay)???

Sure do.. Mick lived at No. 13, 3 doors away.

He got glassed in the face at the pub on Maid Marion way. After that I vowed never to set foot in the place.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I went to William Crane but I remember the dental clinic at Players. I heard a rumour that the dentists there went on trial at Nuremberg but this may not be true even though justified.

thumbsdown Went to Players dentist (from St Teresa's School, Aspley) when I was 8 yrs old, had 2 teeth out!! I remember sitting at the side of a bath,in a tiled room, spitting blood for ages, I thought I was bleeding to death!!!!!!! That experience put me off dentists for the next 24 years!! abouttime but I'm ok now.................

Had a tooth pulled out there when I was about 12 years old, an absolute nightmare ! I can remember the dentist locking the door when I went in, that put me off straight away.

Chatting to my dentist years later he said school dentists only got that job cos no one else would employ em !

Rob it was a frightening place. I remember going on the bus with my mam, and thinking I was being led to my death! I'd never been to a dentist before and had no idea what it entailed. I think I had 5 teeth out, must have been baby teeth as I was in the infants at the time. Can still see the gas mask coming towards my face. And I remember they gave me warm water to rinse with. The number 22 bus used to pass Chaucer St to get to Hanley St, if I remember correctly?

thumbsdown I remember making regular trips to the Children's hospital, me mam & me would catch a bus (16 or 32)from Aspley, get off at end at end of Gregory Boulevard, then 'route march'along the boulevard & cut through in to Sherwood!! by the time we got there I'd be knackered with exhaustion. On the way back we'd go through the Forest & sometimes stop at the kiosk, halway through, all this in the late fifties!! slywink

Any one got memories of the Children's, & is it still open??

The Childrens hospital moved to the QMC when it opened in about 1977, I had my appendix out in 73 and spent a week in the childrens hospital 'under observation' before being sent home then rushed back to the General with Peritonitis 3 hours later!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Dan,

I remember Chaucer street too, I had teeth out there and also went there to have my tonsils out, Chaucer Street was the children's hospital too, I remember four of them trying to hold me down to give me gas ...what a horrible place...I lived on Woodfield road and went to Player Grammar,it was upper school and lower school, one for the girls and one for the boys, a couple of years after I started there it changed to Bilateral and at the end of my fifth year it went to a comprehensive. I was there from 1970 to 1975 inc. I was in G2 all the way through to fifth year. Do you remember Mr Terry, or Mr Fenhoulet in Science, Nobby Auckland and Mr Oakes or Mr Pratt for English and Mr Speading with his strap?

Just realised your age Dan, i was way before your time at Player....don't know when it closed or if the teachers were still the same or not....

Oooh...Sos and Tom....1/2 inch bread and 3/4 inch of sos and tom...spicy sausage meat....what great food...I also used to stop at the Mill, I used the chippy up the road too, used to buy a batch loaf from the shop and take all the soft bread out and fill it with fish and chips or chips and peas from the chippy....

No Chance...You need a mortgage for a decent piece of fish these days...especially here in Bakewell...I used to go in the chippy and ask for fish and chips, when I do get chance these days I make sure I choose the fish and make right sure its the "Biggest fish in the grill"...its ridiculous....things are so bad now I quit smokin too..after 40 years an all...I remember me dad sayin' "If these fags go up to 10 shillings I'm packin in"...6 and half quid now...no word of a lie the day before he passed on I saw him in hospital and he asked me to light him a ciggie....wish I'd lit him one up now...anyway...off topic now....Lived out Long Eaton way for a while on Cobden Street...in the 80's....I was just getting into Computer Programming then....wish I'd left it alone...

As far as I know...I haven't been there for just over a year but it was still there and thriving then...grand place that....a proper landmark....