Where will it all end?

Mrs Frank came home yesterday and said that she had got a parking ticket in Wilko's car park in Bulwell for parking in a Disabled bay.

Now, she was with her elderly mother who has a blue badge, and the said badge, I am told, was on display in the windscreen.

Searching on the web, it says to ignore the 'fine' as indeed it is not a 'fine' but a charge for breaching the 'Parking Agreement' which is supposed to be in a prominent position as you enter the private car parking area.

Have any of you come across this?

Apparently, the charge is payable within 30days or is reduced in value if you pay within 14 days. If you fail to pay, I've read that they pass the matter on to debt collectors who will send upto 6 threatening letters, citing the courts as a reason to pay up. It would appear from what I've read so far that no one as yet has been to court for a measly £30 as the costs involved are prohibitive.

Even if they send you a threatening letter, to the registered keeper/owner, after they have paid £2.50 the DVLA for your details, you are not obliged to reveal the drivers name/details, as is the case on the public highway. In my case I am the registered keeper but not the driver. It seems that they can only take the offending driver to court but if they cannot prove who was driving, the case will fail.

Have a look around the web for forums dedicated to this problem. Parking offences on private land.

Why oh why do Wilko's need to employ private parking wardens? Are they trying their best to upset the customers?

I'd welcome you thoughts or first hand / legal knowledge on this.

Wilko's today, the corner shop tomorrow!!

Frank, am I reading this correctly, are you saying that the selfish gits who park in the disabled or family section of our Sainsburies car park despite having no kids or blue badges are likely to get away with it then. What constitutes a private car park, I assume that our council multi storey doesn't count despite being run by a private company.

We don't have a blue badge, but when my ancient mother comes to stay with us, she likes to wander unsteadily round the supermarket. It's so dificult for her to get out the car in a normal parking spot, that rather than block up the access routes to get her in and out, or struggling in a 2.4m x 4.8m bay to prevent bashing someones car, I'll park in a disabled bay, I really have no choice as there's no drop off point near the entrance, and as it's only on a rare occasion, I'm prepared to take the risk and argue about it afterwards, mind you the parking attendants up at Sainsburies are quite understanding and if you have a word with them first, they are very good about it.

I bet Mrs Frank got a ticket because the badge was upside down, they like doing that, some of these attendants, I can think of a number of incidents where people have got a parking ticket because the ticket was stuck in the window upside down, or had fallen off onto the dash board, they get away with it by saying that the ticket was incorrectly displayed.

I recently got a ticket for parking on single yellow line for 6 minutes, they took tax disc serial no. correctly, also got make and colour right, BUT put reg down as FN04 ..... whereas mine is R212.... ????? the mind boggles! good job the council employ retarded halfwits otherwise it would have cost me £70 , As for disabled spaces I love going into such with my van! have had some right auguments and a near punch up!

Not sure what the rules are in the U.K., but over here you can be ticketed for parking in handicapped spaces EVEN on private property - and I regularly see the local police checking on such! However, they do seem to be pretty good about checking for the handicapped ID - which can either be the license plate, or a tag that is typically hung from the rearview mirror. The mirror things are known for wearing out, so are often left on the dash - but the cops will check for them.

Personally, I have no problem with ticketing able-bodied folk who park in disabled spots. Saw my dad struggle enough when a$$holes parked in the disabled spots without the appropriate tag/etc. forcing him to find parking elsewhere - often a good distance from where he wanted to go - and yes, he really was disabled!

Agreed regarding ticketing able bodied people , but do object to these same little hitlers ignoring the disabled people who park in parent and toddler spaces.

As I mentioned else where SWMBO got one for parking for 2 mins in a disabled bay out side Argos , whilst heaviy pregnant with Adam and picking up a very heavy parcel(Even though our Charlotte was still in the car) She wouldn't have had to park there if a disabled person hadn't parked in the parent and toddlers spaces !! The best / worst part about it is that the tw*t was on his own and was walking perfectly well.

The problem is, if you do occasionally take out the aged P or disabled friend, what are you supposed to do if you or they haven't the appropriate blue badge.

A few years ago I took my old man to the contraversial Duxford D-Day Veterans Special Airshow. As he was a veteran, I had the appropriate passes to the vets enclosure etc etc, but apparantly no special parking pass, which I didn't even think about, I assumed we'd be ushered to the front.

Not wishing to drag him over there at the crack of dawn, we left later, knowing I had a special pass, but this proved useless on the day as we were sent off to the distant car park over the road in the admin area, where even an able bodied person has to struggle miles and clamber over an old Bailey Bridge to get in. Pointing this out to the idiot on the gate, and reminding him that all the vets were going to be in their 80's, there was so much humming and haring that my old boy said ''Stuff it, I'm not disabled, I'll bloody walk, I managed it under fire from a landing craft so this is nowt''.

Just to prove a point, he did, with difficulty, but the issue should never have arisen that day.

As for disabled spaces I love going into such with my van! have had some right auguments and a near punch up!

Sorry mate don't see the clever bit there if you're serious...

oops, pressed wrong button, have had wardens run out waving their arms shaking their heads, another saying "you can't park that here" and actually start writing out ticket, well theres nothing to say you have to drive into the space with badge on display and clock set is there?

I take it you are a blue badge holder Ashley, 'cause I think that needs emphasizing before the verbals start!!!

The point I'm trying to make is...... is the ticket - ' fine ' 'failure to comply' piece of paper actually legal as it is issued on private land? What legal right have they to make you pay as it is on 'private land'?

I know how it works on the 'Council Adopted roads' (legal highways), but, do private limited company's have the right to enforce such a piece of paper?

Frank - I think you will find that if the handicapped spaces are required by law, then they can be enforced. If the spaces are just put there for convenience (like Ian's pregnant/little kids spaces), there is nothing they can do.

In your case, I think the fact that she had the appropriate permit means it is worth challenging.

Don't know answer to that as there is (I gather?) a sign warning of rules and penalties? I do know how ever it would be a court case with a judge finding for or against. also know in radcliffe there are several "disabled parking spaces" these are however not legal as there are no penalties etc displayed just the yellow painted wheelchair on floor, And YES I do have blue badge, my point in my postings was because I own/drive a van most assume I do NOT have a disabled badge

Parking tickets received in private car parks are not enforceable. Parking tickets received in council car parks ARE enforceable.

Do not enter in to any correspondence with any private car parking companies, bin all correspondence from them. They may threaten court action/bailiffs etc, don't fall for it.

Have a wander over here

where all your questions will be answered.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

The best / worst part about it is that the tw*t was on his own and was walking perfectly well.

A blue badge dont give you an automatic limp........we have one and we walk ok... ( unless is up hill )

I have one arm that doesn't work ok and I can't walk more than 200 feet without getting great pains in my back and legs, yet cant get a permit because I can still walk for a little bit. Yet these people who are able bodied and ferry a dissabled person around (occationally) can get one no problem is my bug bare

One true story to follow and it's a good 'un

At my local Tesco (Penzance), you can't get on the under cover Disabled bits,,,, cos they'r taken up by Tesco employees !!!!!!!!!!!!

When Tesco were interviewed on the news last year they said (para) "disabled areas were just there at our discretion, & arn't policed".

If it's pi$$in' down & you'r in a wheelchair, it ain't worth the bother,,,,, & as usual - Tesco just don't give a damn.

My true story

In about 1989/1990 I was working on sales for the RAC, outside the CooP in Arnold, when I became aware of an 'Artic' having difficulty negotiating the bend in front of me. His problem?? a blue badge holder had stupidly parked right on the sharp 90 degree bend in the road , and the waggon couldn't get round it or back up !!

A police woman appeared and me and the lorry driver (another big bloke loke me) informed her that between us we could man handle the offending vehicle out of the way if she were to allow us.

As this seemed the only solution she agreed and trucker and I duly picked up the back of the car and man handled it down the road and up the pavement out of harmsway.

After the waggon got round and on his way , the police woman put a ticket on the car , for dangerous parking !!!