There was a pub at the corner of Kirke-White Street East and London Road years back, anyone recall it's name. Then just down Kirke-White Street from that pub was another one, was it "The Rifleman"??? Funny thing, I used to drink in that pub after my first marriage.. I think it was a Home Ales pub too..

John

There was a pub at the corner of Kirke-White Street East and London Road years back, anyone recall it's name. Then just down Kirke-White Street from that pub was another one, was it "The Rifleman"??? Funny thing, I used to drink in that pub after my first marriage.. I think it was a Home Ales pub too..

John

I'll bring this back as we were so rudely interupted :angry:

Hi ayup..

would this be the pub shown below? .. on the opposite corner is Arkwright school.

the odd thing is, I passed by this pub everyday when I attended school, and

also when I travelled to work, but found it hard to recall it's name.

...but I eventually did.

The sir John Franklin circa 1973..

NTGM007289.jpg

courtesy of www.picturethepast.org.uk

ilko.

Are you sure Arkwright School was on the opposite corner? I can't visualise that at all & I went to that shool,are there any more pics on the link that shows a better pic of it?

same here Caz, I can only vaguely remember it, and I only lived a mere 500 or so yards away.

but check out the road plaques, they say .. London road / Kirk wight street east.

and that being the case, Arkwright school was a mere 10 yards opposite!

the question is: if it wasn't the Sir John that stood on that corner, can you remember what did? :huh:

ilko..

• Upvote 1

That was the pub on the corner and opposite it was a school, my young Sister went to it and my Mother was a dinner lady there for a couple of years.

Now my question was, the pub just a bit further down Kirke-White Street, was it called "The Rifleman"??

In the second piccie, just past the Ford van was Rye Hill Cottages, I used to live at No4 after I was married the first time. Just past, two doors down was where my Mum and Dad lived, on Kirke-White Street.

Glad I was right about the Rifleman.

My Daughter collected loads of ten pence and 50 pence coins when she was born off the patrons at the Rifleman!!

Hey Ilko, have you found any piccies of the Sir Richard Arkwright pub on Arkright Street almost corner of Kirke-White Street??? I've searched to no avail.

John

if you checkout www.picturethepast.org.uk there's stacks of pics from around this area! here is the Sir Richard Arkwright: http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/jpgh2/NTGM007277.jpg

NTGM007277.jpg

I remember Ryhill cottages very well... I once lived in Ryehill terrace further down London Road, there were often people turning up looking for the cottages..

ryehill cottages:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/jpgh3/NTGM009920.jpg

NTGM009920.jpg

ilko..

Haaaaa, me old stomping ground, learned to "pull" a pint behind that bar under Barry Price's guidance when he were the Landlord. That would have been around 1967 to about 1969. Used to get me a few freebies and some extra spending money B)

Ryehill Cottages piccie, just to the left was the Bookie's shop, he were a strange un, big bloke, never smiled and always gave you a dirty look....

same here Caz, I can only vaguely remember it, and I only lived a mere 500 or so yards away.

but check out the road plaques, they say .. London road / Kirk wight street east.

and that being the case, Arkwright school was a mere 10 yards opposite!

the question is: if it wasn't the Sir John that stood on that corner, can you remember what did? :huh:

ilko..

Hi Ilko,

I wasn't suggesting this wasn't so, just I don't remember the school being on the opposite corner, I thought the school would have been lower down, strange how memory fails us isn't it??

Hey Ilko

Didn't we both live on Ryehill terrace at some stage??

Hey Caz, where was Ryehill Terrace?? I knew of a Ryehill Street and I lived in Ryehill Cottages until the Council moved us out prior to demolition.

Hi Ayup

Ryehill terrace was off Ryehill st,it was next to the Almshouses,which also ran up London Rd do you remember it now?? There is a reference to it in the medders posts i think??

Caz

Also can you fill me in about the chat site for Friends Reunited,haven't heard anything about it??

Hey Ilko

Didn't we both live on Ryehill terrace at some stage??

indeed we did Caz.. you lived at number 10, and I number 11, albeit quite a few years previous to you..

both these houses were on each side of the secret entry that lead onto Arkwright street, the entrance to which, was situated next to a shop with large writing on the wall which exclaimed 'J Shaw, Painter and decorator'.. the odd thing is, I always recall that shop being empty, maybe it was just a storeroom though - we'll never know!

one of the most vivid recollections of living in Ryehill was the amount of sparrows flying around and twittering whenever you were in the back yard.. there must have been thousands nesting in the old buildings!.. nowadays it's very rare we see the humble sparrow, they seem to have all disappeared ... shame!

ilko..

Hi Ilko

It just occurred to me I don't think you have posted a photo of yourself I would like to see if I recognise you from when we were younger?? come on you handsome devil get posting :D

The site you refer to in your posting is: www.friendsreunited.co.uk

There is a nominal charge for becoming a member. You certainly could find people you used to know, I did.

The searches are done by person, street, school, etc.

Happy searching !!!

A :P

We know about em

We don't mention Fiendsreunited ere.

They charge 7.50(membership) to send a message.

Once received by the other person, they also have to register and pay before

being able to reply. :o ANOTHER 7.50!

Thats why were here to put Nottingham people in touch FREE. :P

Hi Ilko

It just occurred to me I don't think you have posted a photo of yourself I would like to see if I recognise you from when we were younger?? come on you handsome devil get posting :D

here you go Caz, a photo from when I was younger - no problem!

and not being one for flambuoyant displays of vanity, I have selected this pic as being the most appropriate!

Skegness yacht pool? 1952? :huh:

ilko..

We know about em

We don't mention Fiendsreunited ere.

They charge 7.50(membership) to send a message.

Once received by the other person, they also have to register and pay before

being able to reply. :o ANOTHER 7.50!

Thats why were here to put Nottingham people in touch FREE. :P

I was a member of friends reunited for several years, and sent many an email to various aquaintances from my school years, only to receive very little response.. it appears the vast majority are only on FR for no other reason than to tell the world of their success!.. and if you didn't happen to be their best chum at school, then forget it! .. they're not their for any social discourse, especially from the likes of you ! :angry:

'fraid this is how I found it! ..

any other ex members thoughts/observations/experiences? :huh:

ilko..

here you go Caz, a photo from when I was younger - no problem!

and not being one for flambuoyant displays of vanity, I have selected this pic as being the most appropriate!

Skegness yacht pool? 1952? :huh:

ilko..

Ilko, did you live in Skegness? My mom lived there from 1945-1950 she just told me. She lived on Lumley Ave. They had a boarding house.

the 50's were a bit too early for me, it was around the 1965 era I lived at Huttoft, a small village roughly mid way between Skegness and Mablethorpe..

I know the roads you mention in Skegness as this was our stamping ground at the nightime - Lumley road, Roman Bank, high street.. plenty of chipshops and cafes, and a miriad of amusement arcades, whereby we would could become skint within a very short time!

if there was any money left over though, it was onto the funfair, and then home.. ready for the next days session of running the donkey's down Anderby Creek!

'swayit went!

ilko..

• 7 months later...

Anyone remeber The Belvoir on Kirkby Street

it had the barrels at the back of the bar with pipes to the pumps was pulled down years ago.I remember sitting at the back of The Rifleman when my old man was playing cards or long alley skittles, another old pub The Griffin, that staute is still in a garden at Keyworth I remember.