On 3/8/2005 at 0:09 PM, ilkolad said:

same here Caz, I can only vaguely remember it, and I only lived a mere 500 or so yards away.

but check out the road plaques, they say .. London road / Kirk wight street east.

and that being the case, Arkwright school was a mere 10 yards opposite!

the question is: if it wasn't the Sir John that stood on that corner, can you remember what did? huh.gif

THE PUB WAS THE SIR JOHN FRANKLIN AND NEXT DOOR TO IT WAS IVY MITCHELLS SWEET SHOP OPPOSITE THE SCHOOL, SHE WAS MY AUNT AND WAS OPEN ALL HOURS AND MADE HER MONEY WHEN NOTTS COUNTY WAS PLAYING AT HOME. ALL THE FANS WOULD COME IN FOR THEIR FAGS AND A QUARTER OF BULLSEYES OR A PKT OF BARNIPS. POO BEAR KNOWS ALL ABOUT THE LATTER - HAPPY DAYS WISH THEY WOULD COME BACK

• 4 years later...
On 6 March 2005 at 1:19 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

There was a pub at the corner of Kirke-White Street East and London Road years back, anyone recall it's name. I think it was a Home Ales pub too..

John

Finally came to me Sir John Franklin? 

Cyk65B2WIAA4T8n.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

K'in hell stood at the bar in Rose & Crown on Derby Road while 2 customers deliver a shipping order of food to the only other 2 barmaids, k'in gagging for a pint, food in pubs can F' right off, I'm on the free WiFi, I'm close to ripping all the pumps off the bar, not sure I'm for this world anymore   .............. Arrrrrrrrrh 

• Like 2

The pub that been closed a while in Carlton on Tesco’s land has been being pulled down this week. Seen it other day.the Windsor castle pub. Is no more.no building anymore . What will be put there I wonder...more car park space for Tesco??

And there's more (from 2 up) while we where sat on the front, outside the Rose & Crown last night, a couple joined us, they were eating & ordered "sizzling steaks" only this steak would not be sizzling, because the iron skillets are not allowed when eating outside, Greenking health & safety, when the meal arrived on a plate, it was missing the fried onions, that to was due to health & safety :crazy:  glad I refuse to eat after 6pm.   

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Compo said:

is Elf and safety won't allow fried onions outdoors?!

In Australia it is a bit of a tradition when going to a large hardware store chain to have a sausage in bread with onions and sauce. The are usually cooked by a charity or school groups and the proceeds go to a good cause.

Last week the elf and safety jobsworths issued a decree that the onions must be put underneath the sausage to avoid the risk of them falling out and becoming a slip hazard. The picture below is a politically incorrect sausage in bread because the onions are on the top. What is this world coming too?

Image result for bunnings sausage

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

the onions must be put underneath the sausage to avoid the risk of them falling out and becoming a slip hazard. The picture below is a politically incorrect sausage in bread because the onions are on the top. What is this world coming to?

How did we, as a species, ever get this far?  Slip hazard? Elf & Safety?  This planet is way over populated. Does it matter? :blink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The thing that really died is common sense.  I can understand a government agency being concerned for factory safety around machinery, but onions on hotdogs.  Give me a break!  I can't think of anything else to say.  The sheer idiocy of such rulings leaves me speechless.

Don't worry Jill it won't be overpopulated much longer if this kind of mindset keeps up.

• Like 2

Whether it’s just me. I’m an impatient crotchety old bugger but everyday I witness lack of basic common sense and degrees of incompetence far more than there used to be. As for so called tradesmen, give me strength! People are so completely dozy as well. When the lights change I’m at the back of the queue ready to move off. Those at the front seem to sit there hoping for the lights to turn greener! I’m glad I’m not in industry any more. It’s almost impossible to get rid of the incompetent without going through a lengthy and costly procedure. 

• Like 2

Regarding tradesmen.  I think the reason you note such a difference is that the tradesmen you dealt with in the past were trained during the fifties and sixties or earlier.  There was no political correctness then.  You didn't answer back or argue with the guy that was training you.  You knew how to operate a broom and keep your word.  I've been out of electrical for going on thirty years now. I don't think things are quite the same anymore.

At work many moons ago the jointers had special knives for stripping insulation from large cables (stripping knives). Anyone who has stripped cable knows you should cut away from you but it's easier cutting towards yourself, of course one of them cut his leg. Directive from H&S Dept; all knives to have the points ground off and the blade dulled. Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Visited my cousin a couple of weeks ago and she showed me a picture of all our local kids (we would have been about six y/o) at a community kids party organised by Mrs Jarvis - landlady of the Spread Eagle Alfreton Rd. That brought back a lot of memories. Mrs Jarvis was the defacto boss of the tight knit local community, as were many licensees I would think..

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...