New demolition in the Meadows

A mate of mine on another website http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/forum.htm has sent me this P.M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ian,

Sadly I will not be able to attend this event. However I will be attending the Newark Air Museum all day event on the 11th April.

I went to the local residents meeting last night in the Meadows, as we had some literature posted through our door.

There is a bit of a secret squirrel agenda to demolish alot of properties in the last phase of the New Meadows. www.theoldmeadows.co.uk/map.htm shows what the affected section used to look like circa 1970. Which is the left of Recreation Ground.

The consultation is to extend the Ayton Close onto Gritley Mews which used to be the old Wilford Road.

They plan to widen this stretch of road and demolish a few houses including deering court which is the corner of Ayton Close and Robin Hood Way.

They then plan to either have Robin Hood Way carry on travelling along to the left, which would follow the old road of Deering Street (See 1970 map). All the way up taking out todays builds on Middle Furlong Mews and carry on to Enterprise Way. Which used to be the front entrance of the old ROF Factory. Thus following the old Map is Deering Street, Kings Meadow Road.

Which is a bad news for a lot of people. But will make the Meadows a bit more street friendly.

They also plan to demolish the masionettes. Then they will gradually start to demolish certain houses as we have too many walk ways.

It comes under the new Meadows regeneration.

Phase 2 of the Tram from Nottingham Station to the Noble Road Estate of Clifton will be developed as well.

www.netphasetwo.com

It was very interesting, but we only had 20 people turn up and 4 of those were the community coppers.

Lee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought a few of you mind find some interesting reading.

Amazing most of the old Meadows was nearly 100 years and the "new slums" only lasted around 35 years.

• 7 years later...

I`m new to this site and not native to the "Medders" but I used to work for W.H. Tew off Crocus Street in the 1960s. I sometimes wander around the area though and was wondering why the houses on Arkwright walk were being demolished.

The "modern" houses on Arkwright Walk are being demolished to try and improve the area in general, and get rid of some of the dodgy alleyways and corners which are everywhere. And they are admitting that the authorities got it wrong in the 70s.   There's a lot more in this thread.   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10139-arkwright-street-to-reappear/

When I were a kid growing up in that area there was plenty of "dodgy alleyways and corners",mostly unlit and I can't remember owt frightening or worrying about them,we used to play down the old entries as we called them,never any bother,the problem is the people,not all obviously but as usual a very,very small minority that are hell bent on ruining the lives of honest,decent folk who are trying to create a safe,friendly neighbourhood so everyone can enjoy it,such a shame these days that a lot of folk dunt even know who they live next door to

Rog

• Upvote 1