Went down to London to visit my daughter, who persuaded me to go and see Grease at the theatre shes currently working at, and having enjoyed the show immensely (to my surprise!) we went for a drink. She wasnt bothered about hanging around with the staff and actors in their favourite haunt next door to the theatre, so we set off down to The Haymarket area, just down from Trafalgar Square, to a building that was magnificent to say the least, and the interior of which was more like a gentlemans club.

To my surprise this was a Wetherspoons place, and to my even greater surprise, I was confronted with beer prices that shocked me!

Now, I bet you think I was going to say how much more they were than here in sunny Nottingham, WRONG! they were lower than any of the Notts pubs I have been in recently (ymmv)

A pint of Darwins Origin (a boootiful brew! ) was £2.29, with 6 or 7 same priced , different hand pulled bitters on sale too.

Green King IPA which sells up here, and indeed in Stratford Upon Avon for 99p a pint, was actually dearer , priced at a still low £1.49.

That was partial relief to having open wallet surgery by paying £11.00 for 2 hours of parking!

You were lucky, beer prices in London have always been horrific and still are around here, 30+ miles away. I hope you didn't actually buy a pint of Greene King by the way, however cheap it was.

Wetherspoons obviously lulled you into a false sense of security, but then, if they can do it, why can't the other places.

I went in the Dog and Partridge on Parliament St last Friday, John Smiths smooth was £1.75 a pint. In my local it's £2.45.

It's worth buying 'Smooth' so you can pour it on the floor in front of the landlord and ask them why they aren't selling proper beer, or is that what we are conditioned to accept these days.

I was visiting my sister in law who at the time , lived and worked in the Shepherds Bush area. (in a pub next door to QPRs ground.) Any way on our last night there, I took her and her mates (A couple of the players included) to the new Wetherspoons that had opened in a shopping centre on Shepherds Bush green. They had never been there as some one had told them it was cr@p and not up to their standards!!

At the end of the night a certain football superstar (Who will remain nameless) presented me with a bottle of Bolly as a thank you for saving him an absolute fortune in the price of booze !!!!

Dunno about prices but I like their humour..around twenty years ago near the Tower I parked up in a driveway to a packed pub for a pint.I discovered later a van parked next to me was hiding a sign.

After half an hour on returning to the car, I spotted a small poster stuck in the middle of the rear screen thanking me for my business and hoping I enjoyed my visit to their hostelry.

On getting in the car and looking in the mirror...the message on the inside of the sticker called me a selfish t**t ...and if I parked in the landlords space again he would let my f*****g tyres down. All properly printed...and spelt. :rolleyes:

Remind me not to go to Tenerife.....I remember my very first time I went to Spain for a holiday it would be 1968 the beer was unbeleiveabley cheap something like a few pence a bottle compared to here.

Those were the days before the ring pull cans and jet flight....

As I have said in my blog I paid 3 squid a pint in a one pub village in Snowdonia, I would have normally walked out after the first but where was there to go apart from going back to me van for a hot cuppa tea...

Bip.

2,000,000 lira a pint when I first went to Turkey (£1) still around £1.20, Effes Pils, a turkish brew and quite good, dearer in the posh places of icmeler but cheaper still at the Bin Laden Bar or The Saddam Arms

• 9 years later...

Argh! What kind of price is that?! I had two pints of 'Compo's Platform End Bitter' yesterday - cost me about ten pence to make.  Our local Spoons sells guest ales at £2.25 per pint and Deuchars IPA (The one I often choose) at £1.79 per pint.