On the "sayings" thread someone mentioned the "Ten O Clock Osses." Made me a bit curious. Thought it might make for an interesting thread by itself.

I know there are ghost stories relating to Colwick Hall and Newstead Abbey. What other places around Nottingham have their stories? Have you ever seen one?

I haven't, and have a hard time believing in such things.

Thoughts anyone?

Loppy.

First the facts, cold stone sober, no drugs! summer night 1964, had took g/f home and decided to go ride on my bike, just before The Royal Oak at Watnall around midnight I saw this "woman in black" in the road, no way could I miss her! brakes on an old bantem crap when new, and mine were old, anyway skidded to halt and gave her right mouthful, it was then I noticed "she" wasn't walking away from me but "drifting" across road with no feet touching floor, sounds silly but scared the **** out of me! mentioned it years later to landlord of the pub, he wasn't surprised, "not another one" type of reaction

I'm not a ghost officianado, but had some wierd experiences, my father was the worst one for that, but more later.

I was always led to believe that the most haunted place in Notts was Annesley Hall, there's even a web site showing some alleged ghostly happenings there. Quite frankly, it is a creepy place, especially in it's current derelict state, I don't think that people are welcome there though, so don't go unofficially sniffing about, however there is a public footpath next to it and past the ruined church, I went up there with a load of students last year in the dark, and it is intimidating.

I've had some odd experiences in Peak District Youth Hostels many years ago, notably at Rudyard Lake and Ilam Hall, if you ever stay at Ilam, don't ever sleep in the dreaded room 13, the one over the entrance or go alone into the cellars.

My father always had a fascination with the subject of ghostly happenings, he once claimed to have seen a Victorian family wave to him from a gate in Dale Abbey, only to go back and find no gate and no house, my mother swears to this day that she can remember the incident as clear as if it was yesterday.

He always reckoned that when he died, he would endevour to come back and let us know he was alright. I'm no great believer of the afterlife, but we had some wierd experiences immediately after he passed away.

The night he died, and it was an unforseen accident, our dogs, who loved him, suddenly leapt to their feet, despite lying about fast asleep, and started frantically wagging their tails and barking and looking intensely at the place on the settee next to me, I could certainly feel a presence and when I said, OK dad I know your'e there, the dogs seemed to shrug, look at me and go back to sleep again.

The day after he died, we stayed with my mother, the next morning at 7:00 the alarm went off and woke us up, nothing wrong with that except that it was an old clockwork alarm that hadn't worked for years, let alone go off at the right time or even be set, well you couldn't, it was knackered.

When I returned home and went to work, I told everyone about my odd experiences and settled down to do some stuff on the computer. Without warning, everything on the screen slowly drained away and the screen turned blue at which point the mouse arrow turned itself into a white circular dot and fixed itself firmly in the centre of the screen, despite my efforts, nothing would bring the thing back to normal, I had to turn off the power at the plug in the end and even then, it was reluctant to turn itself off.

Other odd things happened too, I remember us all looking at each other as his ashes were being scattered and one of his beloved HST's passed by on the railway and let out a very long drawn out mournfull howl on it's horn, coincidence, who knows.

Just to prove a point, I've just been chatting to my neighbour over the fence and come back in to find that this message had been mysteriously sent before I'd finished it, I haven't touched the damn computer and the dog has been outside with me all the time, not that he's that clever, what do you think of that, I can't think of any explanation for it.

George`s lane going into Calvo.....I was travelling to a skittle match with the R.A.O.B Mapperley team....we were in a minibus and everything was fine until we turned the sharp left hand bend at the top of the hill going down into the wooded section.....we must have only covered 50 yards down the hill then everything disappeared into a real owd school pea souper fog then the minibus cut out and i mean cut out engine,lights the lot.....blokes had to lend out the windows to guide the driver down the rest of the hill....it was horrid it was so cold....it was like being in a void where everything is dead....as we approached the bottom bit of the woods where it breaks into Calvo the fog just vanished and the minibus was on its way.....with 12 very scared white faced men!!!!!!!!!!!

Once seen a policeman.......lol

When my Mama died around Easter 1994, I 'inherited' two Christmas Cactus from her old house. They had been her pride and joy, and always flowered around Christmas ,basically exactly what they were supposed to do.

I put them in the bathroom at my mums house , and didn't think any more abot them really , till the following Easter when I noticed they were in full bloom , not Christmas as they should have been , they have continued to flower around Easter to this day !!

Not really a ghost story I know, but a true , strange tale.

re George's Hill in 1960's a chap hung himself from a tree on flat bit of road near that bend, the tree was very noticable and well known, Annesley Hall, my son with others stayed there one night with permission "for charity", more a case of a having a laugh! but says a few unexplained frightening bumps and noises in the night

• 3 weeks later...

Until he retired in the early 1970s, my dad used to work at Mapperley Hospital. His then boss was Duncan MacMillan, who died some years ago.

A few months ago, my brother was delivering a parcel there (now renamed to Duncan MacMillan House) and mentioned to the receptionist that dad used to work for Duncan. They told him that Duncan is still there, walking the corridors, and has been seen quite a few times.

Knowing the NHS, they're probably still paying him.

• 10 years later...

Passed this homeless bloke sitting in a doorway in Trinity Square around 3 this afternoon, a pigeon stood still just a few feet away.

Around 7 tonight  this blokes fast on & I'm sure or hope the pigeon was looking after him or even knew him?

Makes you think?

We are all Gods children. 

EDZqHtnXsAA7c7h?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2