I note that in a few days it's the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough incident, I'm probably going to get crucified over what I say, but how many of you think on similar lines.

No doubt we'll have to suffer the usual sob stories over and over again from the Liverpool fans/angels about what happened and how it was everyones fault but themselves.

You may think that I'm way out of order here, I was offered a ticket for that game, but it was in that Liverpool end of the ground and no way was I going to stand with a bunch of malicious, drunken thugs who had already got away with causing deaths at the Heysel Stadium, I obviously did the right thing.

It was a sad day for the innocent, and no doubt that the majority of those killed were simply that, but as far as they are concerned, the sun shines out of every Liverpudlians backside, if thats not the way of things, in their eyes, everyone else is to blame for whatever else happens to go wrong with their self esteem.

I have my own thoughts on what happened that day, which I'd better keep to myself, but perhaps for a change, someone should think of the Forest fans who had to bear witness to those terrible events, I seem to recall at the time that LFC even tried to blame them for securing tickets at the end that they felt that they were more entitled to.

I shan't be watching any of the inevitable number of programmes that will be shoved apon us that day, I'm not suggesting that all Forest fans were angels, but I don't recall many problems at any of their away matches, but then, unlike some, Nottingham folk have never considered themselves the beyond reproach, centre of the Universe, have they.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You state that you have no sympathy for the people who were killed at Hillsborough, Chillwell wardy (#5/7). Do the dead not count for anything because their own supporters, in your words, 'arrived lat

The police government & the media all colluded in a cover up of malpractice at Hillsborough. None of these organisations can be trusted.

Paid my respects in the Old Market Square at three today. There was a good turnout with many doing likewise. God bless the 96.

Hillsborough was an appalling tragedy that saw so many innocent lives lost, it should never have happened, but the way that violence had become so much part of the game from certain supporters had already manifested itself at Heysel, they should have realised it then but they didn't care to consider the consequences of their actions, they just carried on regardless, and looked to blame anyone or anything else when the inevitable disaster occured.

The way that fencing had been shoved around grounds as a result of mob violence, in stadiums that had been designed for happier times, was ridiculous, but what alternative had the authorities got at the time.

The police were too outnumbered to cope, on the other hand they and the idiotic clubs did stupid things as well. I recall being at an FA Cup match at Millwall, their then very notorious supporters were itching to get at the small band of Notts County fans, so what did the officials do, open all the dividing gates in the second half, very clever.

I've personally witnessed horrific scenes involving the fans of Leeds, Man Utd, Chelsea and worst of all, Newcastle, but there was always an excuse on the part of the clubs and their cities. Geordies are the most passionate and honest football supporters in the world, we get told, but the riot I witnessed at St James Park, just because they were losing to an 'inferior team', was terrifying, not just a small hardcore of fans either, and they more or less got away with it. It didn't finish there, the threats and intimidation we received when we went for a night out in that 'friendly city' made us never want to go back.

I'm sorry if I've caused offence, but I've not forgotten my experiences in Liverpool either, being greeted by a hail of bricks on the East Lancs Road, and being forced to pay some youths to guard the car by the Everton Mafia, or else, while the police looked on, all in the cause of innocently going to watch a football match in another proud city.

I've just heard on the news that a consortium of bands and old Liverpool players are to make a record in recognition of the Hillsborough disaster, fair enough, but it would have been a good idea for them to have made more of an effort to calm fans passions down after 1985 and prior to 1989.

• 5 years later...

So today marks the 25th aniversary of the "Hillsborough" tragedy, amazing how time flies.

I remember the day well, i thought my teenage forest fan son had gone to Hillsborough, at the last minute he changed his mind.

Can you remember what you were doing that day ?

As I've stated earlier, I was there. We got back to Notts about 5.30 and went to The Colliers Arms at Cinderhill and had vast quantities of their beautiful Guinness. I got it in the neck from my now ex for being late home and pi33ed.

• Upvote 1

You state that you have no sympathy for the people who were killed at Hillsborough, Chillwell wardy (#5/7). Do the dead not count for anything because their own supporters, in your words, 'arrived late from pub and tried to blagg their way Into Hillsborough without. Tickets (as usual ) and crushed their own supporters that had arrived early to watch a game of football.No sympathy'. What had these people done wrong to deserve such a tragic end to their life?. Have you no feelings for their families who would be at home watching it on the TV and praying that their loved ones would return home safely. I've read your posts a couple of times to make sure I haven't misunderstood them and, to be honest, I find them disturbing to say the least.

• Upvote 6

Scouse so called supporters arrived late from pub and tried to blagg their way Into Hillsborough without. Tickets (as usual ) and crushed their own supporters that had arrived early to watch a game of football.No sympathy.

The proof is out there to demonstrate that there's not a word of truth in your disgusting post. You are spouting the outright lies with which the police tried to cover up their culpability. The fans did NOT arrive late from the pub. This has been shown to be a complete fabrication by the police. Many publicans have given evidence showing that the police tried to get them to say that their pubs were full of scousers till the last minute but it wasn't true. In fact, most have stated that their takings were low that day. The fans were not ticketless. Again this was the immediate lie the police put out which has since been debunked. It's such a shame that, with all the evidence that's come out, there are still people who believe what they were told 25 years ago. It's one of the most infuriating things about living in Nottingham that I regularly come across this sort of complete stupidity and ignorance about Hillsborough. I was there with my mother-in-law who was a Forest season ticket holder, and even now she still thinks there must be a grain of truth in the lies told. There's no excuse for it when there's been so much publicity as the truth has come out about the fabrication of evidence and complete lies told by police, politicians and the media.

• Upvote 1

Here's footage of the drunken, ticketless fans arriving late and storming the gate (sarcasm) and an explanation of what happened from 2.33 onwards ( half an hour before the start of the game). Chilwell Wardy. Watch the whole thing and then if you have an ounce of decency, withdraw your offensive posts and never repeat the lies.

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/media/VID0002.html

Approximately one hour before the Juventus-Liverpool final was due to kick off, a large group of Liverpool fans breached a fence separating them from a "neutral area" which contained Juventus fans. The Juventus fans ran back on the terraces and away from the threat into a concrete retaining wall. Fans already seated near the wall were crushed; eventually the wall collapsed. Many people climbed over to safety, but many others died or were badly injured. The game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further violence.[2]

The tragedy resulted in all English football clubs being placed under an indefinite ban by UEFA from all European competitions (lifted in 1990–91), with Liverpool being excluded for an additional year and fourteen Liverpool fans found guilty of manslaughter and each sentenced to three years' imprisonment. The disaster was later described as "The darkest hour in the history of the UEFA competitions".[3]

Everytime I hear the Hillsborough disaster referred to, I think about the casualties with all sympathy for their dreadful fate and sympathy for their friends and relations. All these feelings remain but my thoughts of who was to blame is tempered by the above.

• Upvote 2

One question remains in my mind.

Why did so many fans arrive so late, where had they been until just before kick off.

In those public events that I attend, and that does not include football matches, I always ensure I am early to get my seat.

• Upvote 1