Pub on Ryeland Cresent

Hi everyone,

I am presently updating and "refitting" the old Meadows web site and wondered if anyone knew the name of the pub that can be seen in the background of a photograph of me taken in about 1960. I seem to think it was The Cresent.

The photograph itself is taken on Ryeland Cresent looking toward the junction of Mayfield Grove and further away Bruce Grove. Behind the photographer would be the large wooden gates that opened on to the railway, although I can never remember them being open.

I am hoping the site will be ready to go live over the Easter holiday so if anyone has any photographs or memories they would like me to put on the site please feel free to email them to me at paul*****110@tiscali.co.uk.

Regards Paul

post-488-1239035291_thumb.jpg

From Google

http://www.borders.co.uk/book/nipper-read-...e-krays/318077/

Just after 7pm on the evening of Tuesday 4 March 1969, at the Old Bailey, the jurors filed back into Court 1 to give their verdict on Ronald Kray. The word Guilty brought to a triumphant conclusion the months of painstaking work put in by Leonard Read and his team in their efforts to bring the infamous Kray brothers to justice. In this book, Leonard Read tells his own story, that of the small Nottingham lad, nicknamed Nipper, who went to join the Metropolitan Police - because of their less stringent height requirements - and who rose through the ranks to become part of the team solving the Great Train Robbery. In 1964 Read was invited to put together a team to have a go at the Kray gang - the seemingly untouchable East End criminals whose reign of terror involved blackmail, protection rackets and finally murder. In a recreation of the operation, Read and James Morton cover the case from the first time Nipper saw Ronald Kray in a pub in the Whitechapel Road - where he turned up flanked by minders - to the brothers' eventual arrest in May 1968 and the nailbiting suspense of their sensational trial.

• 3 years later...

during the war ryland cresent took a direct hit from german bomb my dads house was flattened my dad and his brothers where fighting abroad at the time and my grand parents where in the shelter one old chap ended up on a roof mutilated he had refused to go into a shelter.

• 7 months later...

Ah... The Crescent.

When I was in digs at 49 Wilford Crescent East (Mary and Jack Gavin) opposite the library and Dr Coopers surgery, I used to use the Crescent, Shipstones it was.

The bogs outside were always clean I remember.

Fred put in a juke-box, one of the earliest to do so I think, although not welcomed by the older customers.

TTFN all.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fred was a good un dad barrowed freds carsto take us to mablethorpe thought it was fantastic them old cars had a lovely smell to them think it was the leather and wood happy days

I wur luki there - Dad woking at British Rail

This meant we got so many free train passes, and then PT's (No idea what PT stood for, but we got several trips at 2/3rds off the price each year.

I recall Dad getting a Vauxhall 14 series car, and that had the strongest welcoming smell of all the cars he had. But I recall he was not happy with low MPG - blimey, how much was petrol in 1958?

Wait till I join him, and tell him how much it costs today - he'll probably clip me one round the ear and tell me stop lying! Hehe.

Vauxhall_Fourteen.jpg

Cheers

I seem to remember that different brands had differing prices with Esso and shell being one of the most expensive at around 1/9d per gallon, but Dad was a bit keen with his pennies and used to look for Power or National Benzole which was a copper or two cheaper.

Many was the time that we would drive for miles on nothing but the fumes in the tank, passing Esso and Shell until we eventually came across a Power station, it used to worry me to death that I would be asked to walk for miles with a jerry can because we'd run out of petrol!

• Upvote 1

TGC : PT stood for Privilege Ticket (and still does!) It was a quarter of the ordinary full fare, and you could have as many as you wanted, unlike free passes where you got a specific number each year depending on status and length of service. Originally (up to about 1960 I think) you had to apply in advance to the staff office for a privilege ticket form for every journey you made. Then you exchanged this for quarter fare tickets at the booking office. Around 1960, they introduced PT Identity Cards. You still had to have a form - but they gave you a fistful of blanks and you filled them in yourself. Later still, they dropped the forms altogether and you got PT's on production of the Identity Card.

• Upvote 1

TGC nice car fred lent me dad a few cars over the years Morris Oxford i think there was a wolsey and austin cant remember which one your dad would probably wonder why litres what was up with gallons the same as why decimal currency what was up we £sd when you look back we where conned right left and centre .Dennis did your mother lrt you keep them stamps you jammy so and so .

• Upvote 1