Broad Marsh Centre 1979

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They’ve reopened the walk way through Broad Marsh.   Welcome to Nottingham      

From the Lister Gate side, walk forward with what was Boots and the large open area on the right (now closed), down the corridor and out onto Collin Street behind the Bus stops. It wasn't a tunne

Posted Images

Brentford Nylons ,Green Shield Stamps, Mothercare and the Hearty Goodfellow. I also seem to remember a big furniture store down there too

Brentford Nylons ,Green Shield Stamps, Mothercare and the Hearty Goodfellow. I also seem to remember a big furniture store down there too

I'd forgotten the Green Shield catalogue place but it was handy for the Tesco (quad stamps) just further along. The Tesco subsequently became a Paul Madeley (yes that

Paul Madeley) DIY store.

The only "Mint Bar" I remember is this one:

post-477-1197909502_thumb.jpg

Talking about The Mint Bar reminds me of one of 1970s Nottingham's cullinary institutions: The Albany Hotel's Carvery. All very "Abigail's Party". If you were a bit more up-market you went Table d'Hote in the hotel's Four Seasons restaurant.

There was a small Shopping centre built in the city, about the time mentioned, it had its own car park.

Good transport links but the shops were never opened apart from a couple on the front.

The structure still exists.

Would it be anywhere near Midland station?

Ooooops looks like this thread has moved on a little, now why did i do that?

Bip.

Er Bip, the answer is the Mount Street Centre (Bus station)

Any way that carvery,what a great night out ,I used to go in as a foursome with my lady (of the time) and my pal Alan and his future wife. It used to be great going up and just loading up with meat, back to your table and filling the 'Doggybags' you had secreted in your girlfriends bag, then going back up for 'seconds' Brilliant I used to have lamb, beef, pork or chicken pack out for the rest of the week.

Then we used to go into their bar and take the p*ss out of the snobs something rotten (all went well untill one of them called me an 'oik' and I decked him, we got barred, No idea why)

oh the mint...hearty good fellow...the newshouse...i could go on...memories x x

The curious thing is that a few of us were probably all in these similar places maybe at the time but of course wouldn't have known it. Who would have thought we'd all be talking about it on a medium such as the Internet all these years later. I guess that's the great beauty of nostalgia. :-)

More than likely Bejam in those days, they rebranded in the 80's I think

I've been scratching my head trying to remember ther name of the frozen food store and it came to me in a flash: Cordon Bleu.

But who can give me the name of the themed pub nextdoor?

• 6 months later...
This is how Broad Marsh interior looked, not long after completion.

Hard to believe this was 26 years ago.

BM was completed about 1975 :o

How time flies.

Thanks for the photo, I remember buying my first pair of Oxford bags (green pinstripe, about a hundred buttons, mmm, nice)at a shop in Braodmarsh called I think SMT, which was upstairs near the rear escalators. I also bought (or rather my mum did!!) a rather fetching shirt, with a massive winged collar and a tank top with big stars across the front 1970's fashion, lovely. There was also a shop downstairs which had a white fibreglass cave effect. Can anyone remember that?

Only pubs I can remember around there was The Hearty Goodfellow but I wouldn't say it was a 'Themed' pub

oh the mint...hearty good fellow...the newshouse...i could go on...memories x x

Yes, all my old haunts there, mid-late 70's, which was the bar that had all the pub rock bands in, DuxDeluxe, Plummet Airlines etc., was near the Albany & Curry & Swill (sorry, should read grill) :rolleyes: Used to play great rock music at other times, remember hearing Trampled Underfoot by Led Zep for the first time there! just blew me away :cool:

Was it the Imperial Hotel?

The back bar of the Imperial was known as the Cooler Bar, saw some really good bands there. Not sure about Venue 55, where was it?

• 12 years later...