Broad Marsh Centre 1979

This is how Broad Marsh interior looked, not long after completion.

Hard to believe this was 26 years ago.

BM was completed about 1975 :o

How time flies.

post-30-1110325671_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They’ve reopened the walk way through Broad Marsh.   Welcome to Nottingham      

From the Lister Gate side, walk forward with what was Boots and the large open area on the right (now closed), down the corridor and out onto Collin Street behind the Bus stops. It wasn't a tunne

Posted Images

Spoilt the area :angry:

• 4 months later...
opposite l for leather and next to the bit where you would walk up the the then C & A ;)

Now how would I know about that, Leather is more up Dens Street?

Friends I refuse to comment. My private life and my little qurks are my own business. so there.......and all the tea in Chilwell won't make me divulge them. unless you make it a couple of pints of my favourite beer and you all know what i like don't you.. JHB shout

Shock Where's me Browser button gone.. Shock

• 2 years later...

I remember when it opened and you walked in from the bench & Bar entrance there seemed to be a mile of escaltors leading to a lot of empty shops and not many punters - I imagine it's a lot busier nowadays?

I remember when it opened and you walked in from the bench & Bar entrance there seemed to be a mile of escaltors leading to a lot of empty shops and not many punters - I imagine it's a lot busier nowadays?

The Broad Marsh has never matched the Victoria Centre as a retail destination and I think it would be fair to say that it has never truly succeded - its tenants tending to be third and fourth tier retailers.

I really do wonder if the redevelopment of the Broad Marsh will be such a boon for the City. Will Nottingham be able to support tens of thousands of more square feet of retail and leisure (ie fast food) capacity?

Looking at the unlet units in only recently completed developments around the city centre I doubt it.

There was actually a third Shopping centre in the city, or I should say the FIRST Shopping centre, but not on the scale of VC or BMS, which was built late 60's or very early 70's.

It never took off at all, most of it remaining empty for years? Its still there.

WHERE IS IT?

There was actually a third Shopping centre in the city, or I should say the FIRST Shopping centre, but not on the scale of VC or BMS, which was built late 60's or very early 70's.

It never took off at all, most of it remaining empty for years? Its still there.

WHERE IS IT?

This isn’t going to turn out to be one of your obscure questions is it Mick, whereas one answer leads onto another because I know what you are like, little monkey as you are.

Bip.

There was a small Shopping centre built in the city, about the time mentioned, it had its own car park.

Good transport links but the shops were never opened apart from a couple on the front.

The structure still exists.

So where the heck was it? compusmash

I seem to remember that the only major tenant was a branch of Iceland. Their place was on the corner of Mount Street and MMW.

The bus station was home to Midland General and a couple of Mansfield and District routes.

Aaah the memories: A1, B1, B2, B3, E8, F3, F4, F5 ... to mysterious places like Codnor, Heanor and Alfreton (via Pye Bridge).

I seem to remember that the only major tenant was a branch of Iceland. Their place was on the corner of Mount Street and MMW.

The bus station was home to Midland General and a couple of Mansfield and District routes.

Aaah the memories: A1, B1, B2, B3, E8, F3, F4, F5 ... to mysterious places like Codnor, Heanor and Alfreton (via Pye Bridge).

Or was it Bejam?????