Anybody attend this "hall of learning" My Dad went there, all my Uncles on my Mum's side attended.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father and his brother attended this fine institute and say that that railing around it was to keep all the boys in.....

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of

I recall Mr Parkin, very good teacher who imparted knowledge without threats! Lets see, Joe Spungin, geography, history, Mr Ward took us for science, he set me up on my road to wanying to be a ham. Mr

I didn't go there but vaguely remember the building but not the exact location, anybody know what's on the site now?

I didn't go there but vaguely remember the building but not the exact location, anybody know what's on the site now?

I think that huntigdon street school is where the concrete St Anns housig is now, which is at the top end of the road opposite a old folks home??? My uncle said that boys from St Barnardos went there and I believe that there home was near Elm avenue.

This was a really rough , harsh school with very victorian discipline with only male teachers....

This was a really rough , harsh school with very victorian discipline with only male teachers....

Sounds just like my old school, Claremont - that also had a reputation for being rough.

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of my teachers, a gentleman well known to several of the members on here and who's Son went on to better things.

Woodwork was carried out an an annex next to Shelton Street School under a Mr Searle, an extremely nice and talented woodworker. He had great patience and imparted his cabinet making skills to all of us.

• Like 1

My mother and her 3 siblings all attended the school in Edwardian times, from their nearby home on Vicarage Street.

Can't recall any of them ever being critical of the school, but perhaps they were used to tougher regimes in those days!

Cheers

Robt P.

I am wondering if around 1968 this was the single story asbestos type buildings with metal windows?

An annex for Peoples College electrical training? It was just above opposite the Jaguar Car Showroom?

I trained there for a while.

I am wondering if around 1968 this was the single story asbestos type buildings with metal windows?

An annex for Peoples College electrical training? It was just above opposite the Jaguar Car Showroom?

I trained there for a while.

There was a set of single story asbestos buildings used as annexes for the school, just down Huntingdon St Mick. They were all parallel lengthwise from the street to the railway cutting, just before the Victoria Station tunnel. One set was the metalwork shops, another was the art class and the rest were kitchens and dinner rooms for the school and the education authority dinner set up during my time there.

The wood shops were as I said, a brick annex on the right hand side of Shelton Street school yard.

I think there was a car showroom opposite, but been a long time now.

Yes John, sounds right, stood quite high up overlooking the pub that became Owd Boots.

You are too far down the road. The old school was on the right hand side of Huntingdon Street just after Woodborough Road as you travelled up to Mansfield Road. So Mrs Frank tells me as she used to live on Huntingdon Street right opposite the school. (where the TAX offices are now).

You are too far down the road. The old school was on the right hand side of Huntingdon Street just after Woodborough Road as you travelled up to Mansfield Road. So Mrs Frank tells me as she used to live on Huntingdon Street right opposite the school. (where the TAX offices are now).

We are on about the annex Frank. We had two classrooms down the road from the school, about halfway between Woodborough Road and Union Road, on the right hand side as you went down Huntingdon Street.

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of my teachers, a gentleman well known to several of the members on here and who's Son went on to better things.

Woodwork was carried out an an annex next to Shelton Street School under a Mr Searle, an extremely nice and talented woodworker. He had great patience and imparted his cabinet making skills to all of us.

Apparently, my uncle tells me that p.e. was done at the ymca. My dad wet to Switzerland with the school. Don't know what year????

I'd forgotten about the YMCA, we also used to be taken in summer to Manvers school for tennis, and on the Forest for cricket, football was played on some playing fields down Trent Lane.

ayupmeducks did you know Robert and Colin Spurr? nickname sparrow legs? Colin would now be 65 and Robert is 67, at this time they lived on Forest Grove off Colville street just up from the arboretum..

ayupmeducks did you know Robert and Colin Spurr? nickname sparrow legs? Colin would now be 65 and Robert is 67, at this time they lived on Forest Grove off Colville street just up from the arboretum..

Bit before my time meducks, but I'd bet my Mother's Brother would have remembered them, they are about the same age as them. I'm 61 later this year, my Uncle is four years older than me. He was my Mum's baby Brother, John Russell.

We are on about the annex Frank. We had two classrooms down the road from the school, about halfway between Woodborough Road and Union Road, on the right hand side as you went down Huntingdon Street.

Sorry John - didn't realise you were referring to the annex.

Just off topic, I heard someone today mention the old miniature railway that used to run around the field at the end of the ring road - next to the Fiveways pub island - does anyone remember when this first came about? it's long gone now though.

Never took our little ones on it but I do remember seeing it chug around the field.

The field is at the junction of Valley road/ Hucknall road. A mate of mine used to have a minature steam train on there. they used to rent the land from the Council but were never allowed to charge for rides. It must be about 15 years since they had trains on there. I take my dog on there now, If you drive past and see a bloke with a white German Shephard dog on that field it could be me.

I remember the trains but could never get my dad to take us there (Two bus rides you see ,) it was always Wollaton Park for us ,39 all the way from Carlton Square. (2 and 2 halfs to Wollaton Park please Mr ) 3d for us and 6d for mum and dad (My brother was too young to pay for)

• 1 year later...

I think there was a car showroom opposite, but been a long time now.

The car showroom was, Trumans. Later of course, Frank Sytners.

They once had the James Bond, Aston Martin DB6. Star of the film, "Golfinger",on display. Along with a couple of scantily clad models. Which, for us lads from "Hunto" was a real thrill. Both car, and models.

The art teacher from the annexe. A Mr Parkin, went on to become a successfull artist in his own right. He did freelance work whilst teaching. Illustrations and the like.

He was one of my favourite teachers. And I still use the skills he passed on to me in my work. I,m a signwriter/artist.

I recall Mr Parkin, very good teacher who imparted knowledge without threats! Lets see, Joe Spungin, geography, history, Mr Ward took us for science, he set me up on my road to wanying to be a ham. Mr Jewit headmaster. I'll add some more names when I recall them.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

My memory of Huntingdon St goes back to the war years 1940-1944. The teachers were all male except when they were called up and we had women to take over. The Headmaster in my day was 'Pop' Davies, a small man with little grey hair. In my first year I was in Prep. we had a multitude of teachers. In the next year I was in A1, and the teacher was 'Bunker' Baines. After he was called up we had a women teacher named Miss Morrell. I lived on harlaxton Street at the bottom of sherwin street, just a few minutes away. I could bang on about this for a long time, but I suppose very few people would like to hear more.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh memories come flooding back :rolleyes: I went Shelton St school 1957-1959 or thereabouts. Mr Spungin was my form master, I remember him as a bit of a bully, i have seen him hit pupils with his fists on occasion. I also went to woodwork classes at the annex.

There were 2 teachers at woodwork classes one of them was a fairly old chap, looked about 70 odd to me at the time, the other about 40, cant remember thier names, i remember falling off the woodwork store though, and breaking my wrist in the process.

I lived with my Mother and half brother at 4 Union Cottages Union Rd

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Huntingdon Street Schools