We were threatened with being sent to "Hunto" when I was at Claremont! talking of the latter any recall their annex on Hamilton Rd? a large detached house, at "playtime" we all walked round the path, reminded me of a P.O.W camp in films of the day! also recall the model trains, took my kids there, recall one that was copy of a diesel, i n the loco was a 49cc auto clutch engine from a Raleigh runabout or similar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father and his brother attended this fine institute and say that that railing around it was to keep all the boys in.....

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of

I recall Mr Parkin, very good teacher who imparted knowledge without threats! Lets see, Joe Spungin, geography, history, Mr Ward took us for science, he set me up on my road to wanying to be a ham. Mr

Says a lot re "then and now" Mick, back then an old not that large house dealt with what is now income support, think about 4 people dealt with the claimants face to face across a desk, likewise if you were off sick or injured via work you took your "sustifficat" (making sure it was for 2 weeks, as any less and you didn't get paid for the first 3 days) to St Aidians Church Hall on Arnold Rd, the DHSS or whatever it was called had an office in it, think even less staff worked there, whilst at Dr Keavneys on Bailey St one chap , a not so young Mr Lunn handled all the appointments for 4 doctors, opened up the surgery, sorted out the medical records, cleaned the place, mended the plumbing, fed the chickens, cleared the snow etc, last time I was there still 4 doctors but total staff of over 100!

Ashley, was Dr Keavney your doctor? he had 2 sons, who also became doctors i went to school with one of 'em, young Jim!!

I remember sitting in that surgery waiting room, felt like hours & hours...................no phoning for appointments in them days.................... !rotfl!

Yes, recall the old man and son Paddy, it was true re the chickens, kept in the back yard, each doctor, I recall Finnigan, Skelly and Murphy (yes they were Irish) had their own room with rows of wooden benches out side the doors, and the long windows still with blackout blinds!

Wow, it's all flooding back now!! my mum would only see Keavney(s) & Finnigan, had no time for Skelly & Murphy, no idea why!!

All in all I believe they were all fine doctors, but comfort wasn't high on the agenda in the waiting areas................perhaps it was to deter the malingerers, although not many of those evident in the 60's, or perhaps I've got the 'rose tinted' , nostalgiagoggles on again...... :bluespin04: new game, guess the emoticon!!

• 3 years later...

I attended "Hunto", as we called it from 1956 t0 1959, was an all boys rough and ready place ( did me no harm ) Mr Jewett was head master, was a school that gave us no frills education, they had trips to Austria and Paris while i was there, we used to have to go to the Y.M.C.A for PT, VICTORIA BATHS for swimming lessons, and THE FOREST FOR SPORT,

Oh memories come flooding back :rolleyes: I went Shelton St school 1957-1959 or thereabouts. Mr Spungin was my form master, I remember him as a bit of a bully, i have seen him hit pupils with his fists on occasion. I also went to woodwork classes at the annex.

There were 2 teachers at woodwork classes one of them was a fairly old chap, looked about 70 odd to me at the time, the other about 40, cant remember thier names, i remember falling off the woodwork store though, and breaking my wrist in the process.

I lived with my Mother and half brother at 4 Union Cottages Union Rd

mr Spungin WAS a bully, he threw a black board rubber it me once, i threw it back and got can from Mr Jewett !!

We were also taken to Manvers for tennis, and to some place off Trent Lane for football in the middle of winter..

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah and it was bloody cold..LOL I recall one bus we were on was too high for one of the bridges, and whoops, half the roof of the bus tore off, that put paid to that afternoon of running around half naked in the middle of winter on a muddy football pitch freezing our whatsits off.

My OH went to Huntingdon Street for the last year of his school life. On his first day, he and another new starter were late for class as they couldn't find their way to the classroom. They were both caned by Mr Spungin for that. Nice welcome eh? They were caned for lateness two or three times subsequently. Then, on arriving on time one morning, they thought they would be funny and held out their hands to Mr Spungin to cane. How he laughed....not! They were caned again.

• 1 month later...

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of my teachers, a gentleman well known to several of the members on here and who's Son went on to better things.

Woodwork was carried out an an annex next to Shelton Street School under a Mr Searle, an extremely nice and talented woodworker. He had great patience and imparted his cabinet making skills to all of us.

I was there 1961-4 A stream all the way. No it wasn't rough. It was great school with great mates and good "quality" teaching which seems to be sadly lacking these days. I went to work on a farm between Nottingham and Grantham near Whatton and on night in the local pub who should be there on a coach tour returning to Nottingham but Joe Spungin. Did he buy a drink? I think not as he was so busy doing his famous caricatures of the locals in return for a drink. I think he must have got the whole bus a pint. Those caricatures were amazing as you could see who it was he was picking on after only three or four stokes of the chalk on the board. The school was a bit disjointed with the metalwork,art and tech drawing in one area, woodwork elsewhere, Gym at the YMCA on Shakespear Street and football on the old Notts Forest training ground at Colwick. Great days. I also remember being told in our last year that if we got an apprenticeship then got a decent job at the end of it paying around £1000 a year we would be made! BTW it's Denis Garfoot here. I'd love to hear from anyone there who remembers me. The lads I can recall from 4A 1964 are Richard Lawson, Nigel Bent, (there was another lad who used to sit with them an I can see his face but cannot remeber his name but think his surname began with "C") Dennis Brittle, Peter Dale, Richard Greenhalg, John Foster, ? Reddish, ? Stapleton, Andrew Briggs, John Watson, though I think he was in 4B

• Upvote 1

Oh memories come flooding back :rolleyes: I went Shelton St school 1957-1959 or thereabouts. Mr Spungin was my form master, I remember him as a bit of a bully, i have seen him hit pupils with his fists on occasion. I also went to woodwork classes at the annex.

There were 2 teachers at woodwork classes one of them was a fairly old chap, looked about 70 odd to me at the time, the other about 40, cant remember thier names, i remember falling off the woodwork store though, and breaking my wrist in the process.

I lived with my Mother and half brother at 4 Union Cottages Union Rd

The old chap I think was Mr Searle and the younger one Mr Thompson, he always accompanied the school trips abroad. I was so bad a woodwork Mr Thompson used to send me out on a Friday afternoon to fetch him two large Mrs Elizabeth King Pork pies from their very own Pork butchers. Mrs Elizabeth Kings was eventually bought out by PORK FARMS just for this very recipe. They were delicious. I remember one of Mr Thomsons quotes if you needed another piece of wood - - - - - " It doesn't grow on trees ya know" I didn't get on with Mr Spungin either but for very different reasons.

Yep, both Master Woodworkers, I doubt Mr Searle is with us now, and If Mr Thompson is still alive he'd be well into his 80's or 90's.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Denis. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif
School re union

Hi School leavers July 1965

I’d like to arrange a reunion for 4A 1965 leavers. Sometime later in the year at a location near to where the old school stood so any suggestions there would help too.

The names I can recall are as follows but would appreciate any update or correction as I may have got a Christian or Surname mixed up.

I recall

Bent Nigel, Briggs Andrew, Brittle Dennis ,Brown ? Dale Peter, Drury Ian, Foster John, Gascoin Steven, Greenhalg Richard, Gudgin ? Hananiah Trevor, Hayes ?, Lawson Richard, McGrath, Nixon ? Plackett?, Reddish ?, Stapleton ? Millward Trevor, Withers, Zegliki Albert.

From 4B I recall Watson John and there were two twins almost identical.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Denis. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

Thanks Michael,

When were you at Hunto?

Can you also tell me how to start a new conversation string or whatever it's called lol

Yep, both Master Woodworkers, I doubt Mr Searle is with us now, and If Mr Thompson is still alive he'd be well into his 80's or 90's.

What years were you at Hunto? I was there 61 - 65

I think there was a car showroom opposite, but been a long time now.

The car showroom was Trumans, they now own and run Nottingham Airport. It was in their showroom that I blew a whole weeks pocket money (2/6 - - - - 12 an half pence to you young uns) to sit in that Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger. Most of the lads wanted just to sit by the scanty clad Bond girl but to me the car was much more exciting. It was made at Newport Pagnal and I belive they made three as they couldn't get all the gadgets on one car. I just want two gadgets, the machine guns and the revolving number plates, we all have sat nav now and the ability to link it to another vehicle.

1958-1962 Denis, 1A-4A.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Huntingdon Street Schools