• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father and his brother attended this fine institute and say that that railing around it was to keep all the boys in.....

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of

I recall Mr Parkin, very good teacher who imparted knowledge without threats! Lets see, Joe Spungin, geography, history, Mr Ward took us for science, he set me up on my road to wanying to be a ham. Mr

• 1 month later...

I remember Mr Searle and Mr Thompson both very good teachers. I also remember falling off the roof where I think they kept the timber, and breaking my right wrist, so it was off up to City Hospital to get it fixed. This was 1955 or 56. This happened at Shelton St school where we had wood-working classes.

Comment's from my Mother was.... serves bloody right for climbing.

Mr Spungin used to send one of lads the to the printers, I think was on Alfreton Rd to get drawing paper.

• 10 months later...

That's what used to be the Sec Mod side, the junior school was down that side street on the left side of the school.

• 4 years later...

I went to Huntington from 1958 to 1962. It was an absolute crap school. My favorite teachers were Mr Bradbury (Maths), Mr Hufton (English) and Mr Keys (Music). Hunto was a really rough School in Winter when it snowed the kids wrapped snow around stones and threw them

at you in the school yard. I was in 1A to 4A and my worst subject was chemistry I was always last in a class of 36. It was taught by a Mr Mathews. This is somewhat ironic since I obtained my Ph. D. In science many many years after leaving Hunto.  I remember Mr Spungin, he took us swimming and we had History and Georaphy with him. I definitely did not like him Although I always did well in those subjects. I was glad to leave this crappy school with its outdated Gloomy buildings when I was 15

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 5/8/2008 at 2:27 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

It wasn't rough during my four years there, 1958-1962, although discipline was pretty strict. The Headmaster while I was there was Mr Jewitt, hope I spelled his name right. Mr Joe Spungin was one of my teachers, a gentleman well known to several of the members on here and who's Son went on to better things.

Woodwork was carried out an an annex next to Shelton Street School under a Mr Searle, an extremely nice and talented woodworker. He had great patience and imparted his cabinet making skills to all of us.

I remeber Mr Jewitt he was headmaster while I was there 1961-65 1,2,3,and 4A finishing as head boy 1964/5 Would love to meet some guys from my class/year. Denis Garfoot

Looking for memebrs of my class/year 1,2,3 and 4A 1961/65 Especially like to contact Richard Lawson, Nigel Bent, Ian Drury, Richard Greenhalgh, Peter Dale, John Foster and ? Watson from 4B, or anyone else who knows me. denisathome@live.co.uk

Hans I remember you very well, been many years now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/9/2008 at 9:57 AM, mariag said:

Apparently, my uncle tells me that p.e. was done at the ymca. My dad wet to Switzerland with the school. Don't know what year????

The information on the school is correct. I was on a school trip to Switzerland around 1958/9. I have group picture . The teachers in the picture are Mr Hufton (English) and Mr Searle. My other teachers were Mr Key (history), Mr Petty (maths), Mr Hales (science). Was very helpful to me. I still have a model of "hear no evil, Speak on evil and hear no evil on my desk". He also helped to start a photographic club. I became an apprentice at the ROF, Nottingham and then transferring to RRE , Malvern to do study electronics. Discipline was well maintained and misbehaviour was not tolerated. I ended up as Vice Captain. I remember a boy called Peter Stockhausen who was a giant and was the minder for a group of polish children. I didn't think about at the time but I suspect they may have witnessed a lot of bad things during WW2. It will be interesting if any other information emerges. I became a lecturer in my later years I would love to have shown Mr Hufton my academic contract! It turns out I'm dyslectic which perhaps explains my performance in his subject   

@Nicko1 nothing to do with Nottingham, but my brother started work at RRE Malvern from 1953 (he was 17) until he retired.  When he started he said the computers were huge and filled several rooms I believe.  He still lives in Malvern …. A great location.

Interesting for posts on Huntingdon st school. When we arrived in Nottingham I was about 5 then went to Shelton Street school , at about 9 went to  Huntingdon st which then was a mixed school. We lived directly opposite the school at 94 HS. For my last year before seniors I went to Haydn Road for about a year. At Shelton I only remember a teacher called Miss/ Mrs Reynolds who wore a smock , think she might have been pregnant. I cant remember much about Huntingdon only that I went to first aid classes in the evening with my dad. He was a policeman and one night he caught a bat in the station and brought it home in a jam jar which i took to school the following morning. From Haydn I went to Haywood where later on it became a boys school. My brother went to Claremont.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Huntingdon Street Schools

Jill S has asked me to post this photo, which is the cricket team for Huntingdon Street Juniors in 1964.

VX5pcag.jpg

Very 1960s because the boy on the back row, third from left, is wearing a jumper with a pattern which half the boys in Nottm seemed to have.

Thanks to CT for posting this image which came from a friend of mine.

Back row, l to r:  Julian Mee, unknown, Kenny Chester, Martin Bamford, Errol McLeary, unknown, unknown

Front row, l to r:

Christopher Hooton, Kasmer Singh, Tony Simpson, Stephen Cripps, Martin Trussler,Robert Owen, Sistine Raul.

The Teacher is Mr John Parsons. Mr Parsons arrived at my junior school, Berridge, in 1967 as deputy head. He left two years later to work as a lecturer at Clifton Teacher Training college.

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

.......... Sistine Raul.

Never come across Sistine as a name (unless you have the surname Chapel).

Googling the subject tells me that it's a girl's name but I think/assumed the person in the photo is a boy.

Yes, I thought how unusual it was. He does look as though he might be Italian. There was an Italian boy at school with me at Berridge during the first year. He's on my school photo, although no one except me remembers him. He had quite a long name which was difficult for young children to pronounce, so we called him Leno for short.  He wasn't with us for very long. I assume his parents probably moved him to a Roman Catholic school. 

I've looked into this a bit further and I think the name may be incorrect. There is a Sistino Rao who married in Ilkeston in 1982. Sistino suggests he's Italian but the surname Rao suggests he isn't.

There is an obituary for a Sisto Rao who died in 2018 and whose funeral was held at St Barnabas Cathedral in Nottingham. He was born in 1931, so not the lad in the photo but may have been his father.  I will try to gather further information from the friend who gave me the photo.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Never come across Sistine as a name (unless you have the surname Chapel).

Googling the subject tells me that it's a girl's name but I think/assumed the person in the photo is a boy.

Maybe he was ‘identifying’ at the time?!