Does anyone know exactly where Beeston sleeper works was? It was home to a couple of funny little diesel shunters in the ED1-ED10 range plus it had its own little narrow gauge railway. I have a feeling it may have been at the far end of Wilford Yards which would have put it in Lenton, not Beeston but then I dont know. Any clues anyone?

I remember the creosote works well, we used to cycle to the bridge shown on the map and watch the place in operation. They operated two narrow gauge diesel shunters, BR Departmental ED4 and ED10, they would shunt the open timber wagons loaded up with Jarra sleepers into the creosote chamber. This was a large cylindrical affair that looked like the space craft out of Quatermass, it gave us the creeps. The wagons and sleepers were left to cook for a while, the cylinder being sealed with handles all round the door rather like some continental steam locomotive. After a while the door was opened and the engine was connected up to the wagons and a steaming heap of brown timber was dragged out, Health and Safety would have a field day with all that now, I wonder what the health of the former employees is like these days though.

You will like this:-

ed10.jpg

ED10, preserved in working order at the Irchester Narrow Gauge Museum near Wellingborough, nice to see something left of the old place.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2009 at 2:48 PM, Notts Lad oop North said:

Does anyone know exactly where Beeston sleeper works was? It was home to a couple of funny little diesel shunters in the ED1-ED10 range plus it had its own little narrow gauge railway. I have a feeling it may have been at the far end of Wilford Yards which would have put it in Lenton, not Beeston but then I dont know. Any clues anyone?

My dad worked there. he was in charge of the boilers that  pressurised the long cylindrical tubes where the sleepers on the narrow gauge wagons  were pushed into, l had lots of rides on the Bagnall narrow gauge loco, also on ED 10, , My first job on leaving school was  to work in the Beeston North signal box, located near the bridge into Boots, after half an hour, l left, l could not take responsibility of all those trains  flashing by . l finished up working at Players, for three years, and then a DJ at the Locarno during the Rock and Roll years,  in Nottingham, Great times,  

• Like 2

Bumping a thread which is over 9 years old deserves an award, Mike m0llart. Nice to hear from someone who was there.

On 4/15/2009 at 3:48 PM, Notts Lad oop North said:

Does anyone know exactly where Beeston sleeper works was? 

The question was never exactly answered, and Notts Lad hasn't been here for over 3 years, but if anyone was still wondering, the Sleeper works seem to have been just east of Beeston station.

69mA353.jpg

They had a little shunting engine. ED1 I think it was. It chugged up the sidings for years.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2009 at 3:48 PM, Notts Lad oop North said:

Beeston sleeper works, was on the east side of Beacon Road, on the opposite side of the road was Beeston Boilers, Beeston Creosote  works was alongside the Main Line to Nottingham, , it covered where Paige Road is, and stretched halfway along the University playing Fields, l spent many hours there. riding ED4 and ED 10, also on the narrow gauge steam loco, but it was very cramped on the footplate, also l used to fire the twin boilers that heated the creosote when  the sleepers were put in the cylinders, 

• Upvote 1